8th U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition, Rochester, NY, USA, September 9-10, 2023

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The "stupid" comments about the photos are tedious. Used to hear stuff like that when I managed large events for corporations.

The no photos policy is up to Bill V. It's his event. You may consider it "stupid" but you're not trying to recoup the investment in the show. You may not think it impacts anything, but obviously Bill V. thinks otherwise (and since he's been putting the show on for quite some time, he would know). I have a feeling one of the reasons no photos are allowed in the exhibit is to speed visitors through it and not choke off the aisles with a hundred selfie portraitists, and/or risk one of those people--either taking a photo or someone trying to avoid someone taking a photo--bumps into a bench, knocking a tree off and destroying or damaging someone's tree (for which Bill V's insurance might be liable).

Events like this are expensive, logistics are a pain in the ass, expected and unexpected costs mount up, people complain, complain and complain...Some of those complaints are valid and should be addressed. Most are just quibbles. Buy the album, stop whining. :rolleyes:
Its attitudes like yours that keep people from buying the albums. I for one think your argument "buy the album, stop whining" is shit and makes me want to not buy it. But I know Bill and Joe don't have that attitude and would be disgusted by your words especially when concerning the marketing of their work. There are a lot of bonsai people on here that take photos of trees. From a professional photographers point of view the no photo policy is lame.

If you are into bonsai you will buy the album no matter how many pictures you take. Not just that but the camera Joe Noga uses and the setup he has blows any camera anyone is going to have on the floor out of the water; there is no comparison, the level of detail is staggering.

They should set a time at the end of the day to give photophiles an opportunity to take photos and it would be closed off to the rest of the public that way you don't run the risk of crowds walking into peoples shots or knocking over tripods. You could also charge an additional $5 per person or only let people in that have preordered the album.

If its for insurance reasons, make people sign a waiver that says they are responsible for any damages they cause and bills policy is off the hook.

Stop trying to divide people and lets bring them together.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
maybe all his trees died
Tell that guy to log in here if he can once in a while and stop being a stranger... We need updates on his trees. Or maybe he's keeping them a secret to be exposed this weekend??

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And for the record I don't go to Nationals because of the no photo policy.

RosePastry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
?
Well, I didnt see anyone other than those at their booths with our amazing pins (☍﹏⁰).... but I had fun by myself. I even bought one of the flower stones. I wont call it the "C" word the purists are watching (and they argued after I bought it) its almost an exact image of the one ive been looking for since 2015. I cant wait to put it next to its buddy when I get back!
Where’s everybody at!? I’m the one with the big moustache and crabapple tshirt. Say hi!
If your there tomorrow before I head out I will try to say hi.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would be fun to see how much you spent at the show? Sounds expensive since there isn't much fire sell discount.

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Where’s everybody at!? I’m the one with the big moustache and crabapple tshirt. Say hi!
It was nice chatting with you for a min by tokutake!

Great show! I bolted home around 3:00. Here are some of my thoughts:
  • The trees were amazing. I don’t know why I was shocked by the amount of native species. Especially eastern white cedar, I didn’t realize how popular they were
  • It was really cool how close you could get to the trees. I haven’t been to a large show, so comparing it to the National Bonsai Museum, that was really cool
  • I really dislike the no pics policy, and it sucks to be a rule follower when so many are not
  • Bjorn is as tall as everyone says
  • Sara Rayner pots go quick
  • I randomly was one of the few let in during the ribbon cutting:
IMG_0371.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh, and the kids were wild at my hotel too.
We must have been at the same hotel. Those kids seemed like they all drunk a big can of Monster.

I met quite a few BNutters as well. It was nice to talk to @NaoTK and @Sansokuu. Had a good talk with @Hartinez as well. I also met a lot of people that I follow and that follow me on Instagram.

It was great to see @ABCarve and Les and hang out again.

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m a bit socially awkward so I just puttered around yesterday and had to head back to MA. If you saw someone with a mustache in Carhartt overalls that was me. This was my first show experience, I think I walked the exhibition 5 or 6 times.

Grabbed a few things in the vendor area. All in all a exciting time seeing aspirational trees. I hope everyone has safe travels home

DF2D804E-2995-414B-968E-571BD86CE8C8.jpeg
9CC84CD0-B024-4779-8511-A3777ED2FE77.jpeg

138B4F02-11D5-423F-BA82-81328187DE4F.jpeg
A4A70121-A12C-4CD1-ABCE-7FAC53D71559.jpeg

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey, you met me too. I handed you the dang button! Lol.
I'm sorry. Thanks again for the badge of 🎖 honor.
Like @hampton I too am a tad sociallly awkward. Slow but dependable, slow, a bit shy.
True story, I met a guy in a group at the hotel from Marland bonsai society. I said now you look familiar...Ruddigger? Huh he said. No. I didn't think you looked like your avatar. So sorry to not make the connection 😞.

Anybody know how many attended or tickets sold?

Top Bottom