8th U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition, Rochester, NY, USA, September 9-10, 2023

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are rules regarding photography at the show? I watched a video of a past show and the poster said no photos or video in the show area but I didn't see anything on the website about it.

Thinking about making the 8hr drive from Cincinnati as a "beginnermediate" I'm assuming it's worth it with the caliber of this show right?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are rules regarding photography at the show? I watched a video of a past show and the poster said no photos or video in the show area but I didn't see anything on the website about it.

Thinking about making the 8hr drive from Cincinnati as a "beginnermediate" I'm assuming it's worth it with the caliber of this show right?
I don't know the answer this year but its silly and illogical to not allow photography. The logic is it discourages book sales or annoys others, but this rule actually hinders education and interaction. The PBE was a smashing success and the social media impact was huge because they allowed photography. The Kokufu allows photography.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm flying in Thursday and can help if you're still looking for assistance!
We’ll let you know if we need help. I found a travel size dolly that should make things a lot easier than expected. ☺️

Maybe someone should suggest to Bill to allow photography? I doubt it impacts book sales because who goes through the trouble of printing their digital photos these days.. Most museums allow photography too, it is only flash sensitive exhibits that tend to not trust people to have common sense or read.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Vendors who have sold at Nationals before, did you get any sort of sales permit for the show ? Is it this one? https://www.nyc.gov/site/dca/businesses/license-checklist-general-vendor.page *edit* Noticed it says NYC, but for general new york state I see this. Is this all we need?

I have mostly vended in California and Oregon in the past (and a few times in Chicago, Texas, Pennsylvania), Oregon requiring zero to maybe one thing of paperwork only if the event asked for it, and this is the most complicated sellers permit list of to-dos I have ever seen 😬

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When does fall color show up? I am guessing late October, like here in Oregon? I would love to see the east coast in the fall. I told myself if I ever did I might fall in love and not want to come back to the west coast. 😂
Here in Cville, Shenandoah is 20 minutes away. Shenandoah is life changing in the Fall.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
I did some more legwork on that fun tax stuff yesterday and found this:

“The term vendor includes a person who regularly or
systematically solicits business in New York State by any means and by
reason thereof makes taxable sales of tangible personal property to persons in the state. A person is presumed to be regularly or systematically soliciting business in the state if, for the immediately preceding four sales tax quarters:

the cumulative total of the person’s gross receipts from sales of tangible personal property delivered into the state exceeded $300,000, and such person made more than 100 sales of tangible personal property delivered in the state.

TLDR: We (Nao and I) don’t need the Certificate of Authority (why can’t they just call it a seller permit 🤦🏻‍♀️), likely now or ever since we are small potatoes. 😂

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is anyone from the Houston area going to the show? Hurley is out, looking for bonsai transport to swap.

Last edited:

stewarjm192

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any word on a vendor list or demonstration/critique artist list yet?

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When does fall color show up? I am guessing late October, like here in Oregon? I would love to see the east coast in the fall. I told myself if I ever did I might fall in love and not want to come back to the west coast. 😂

Two years ago, there were small smatterings of slightly yellow leaves, but nothing particularly colorful or impressive. The real fall colors won't come for a little bit after Nationals

The timing of this show is so awkward for autumn. Too late in the year to defoliate and expect a full flush of growth before dormancy, but too early to get any good fall colors

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Any word on a vendor list or demonstration/critique artist list yet?
No update yet, we dealers got a list of rules and some setup info in an email last week or so but no map yet to go with it. I know Red Tail Potter will be there, likely Sara Rayner, Waldo St Pottery, April Grigsby - Young Choe of Kusamono Choe will be there too, I spoke to her recently and am bringing her a flat of ginga Egret orchids. Mirai will not be there, nor Bonsai Tonight, nor Rakuyo.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
No update yet, we dealers got a list of rules and some setup info in an email last week or so but no map yet to go with it. I know Red Tail Potter will be there, likely Sara Rayner, Waldo St Pottery, April Grigsby - Young Choe of Kusamono Choe will be there too, I spoke to her recently and am bringing her a flat of ginga Egret orchids. Mirai will not be there, nor Bonsai Tonight, nor Rakuyo.
Woah those are some heavy hitters not participating.

Hopefully their are new people filling in those spaces

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
I will excitedly be there again this year with my Waldo Street Pottery containers. I haven’t seen a vendor map yet but I’m usually along the back wall of the vendor area. Come say hi amd/or introduce yourself. Cheers!
I can’t wait to meet all the potters!! ☺️

mwkohler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve amassed a good savings / mowing lawns and checking storm drains to support acquisitions at the show. Head on a swivel, tunnel vision focus that morning.
Given that I feel like I am in a void with limited bonsai supplies nearby, I am very much looking forward to opportunity to spend saved monies

Top Bottom