5yr Native Tree Challenge - Zanduh's Cercis Canadensis (Eastern Redbud)

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cercis Canadensis - Eastern Redbud

This deciduous species is a delight in the spring here in Connecticut with a huge bloom of small pink flowers that cover every branch, hence the namesake. This is replaced by alternating heart-shaped leaves which turn yellow in the fall.

This tree is known for being difficult to work with in the bonsai community so this will be a real challenge for me. My biggest concern, as you will see below in the pictures, will be finding effective ways to reduce the massive leaves down to something manageable for the tree size.

If verticillium wilt doesn't kill this tree I'm very excited to work with this guy for the next 5 years.

thumbnail_IMG_4713.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4714.jpg

Oh and here are some images of some mature trees!

213+Redbud.jpg

4d9080de7b4e36dc11baec368949db17.jpg

I hope you do have success, this species has stumped me, my attempts all "failed to thrive". I can't not claim to know why.
already in the shipping one of the branches snapped which is a bummer but now i know how brittle the branches are!

I’ve read pretty much everything on the internet about this species and bonsai attempts. What i’ve gathered is the following:

- They do not react well to root pruning once established.
- They have large tap roots. My suspicion is that these tap roots play a role in whether the tree flowers or not based on if they can extend downward. I’ve seen flowering in taller pots but people saying their tree never flowered in shallow pots. I’m wondering if on a very young seedling it would be beneficial to completely cut the tap roots off to allow for a better root mass.
- Along with the brittle branches the bark appears to scar quickly so wiring needs to be carefully done probably in the later half of the summer.
- I’ve read one person get somewhat decent i leaf reduction through selected defoliation but I have no idea when
- I’ve read one person who talks about repotting in the spring after the flowering.
- Wilt and other diseases are a major problem.

All good observations, except, I doubt if having a taproot has any relationship to blooming. A deeper pot may help with blooming, but it is not because of a "taproot". Deeper pots tend to have more stable microbiome. Redbud is a legume. It does form an association with nitrogen fixing bacteria. A larger, deeper pot probably allows a more stable environment for the roots allowing a more stable micro-biome. That is my guess. But I do not know. Wilt diseases, and root diseases, may in part be a function of the health of the microbiome in the pot or container. But like I said, I am speculating.

I’m quite excited to watch you “unravel the mysteries” of this specie. They are characteristically gorgeous as mature trees.

🤓

Took a break away from posting here due to covid stresses but I wanted to give a small update: The redbud seems to have done just fine being uncovered in our pretty mild winter. I absent-mindedly was watering and realized that I was seeing the flower buds on some of the lower branches. I expect in the next couple weeks to see the flower show which is super exciting, I wasn’t expecting flowers at this age!

I’m still trying to figure out what I want the shape/silhouette of this tree to be in the end.

Oh I also took a beginners pottery class recently and will be working my way toward at some point throwing or hand building a pot for this tree!

Attachments

• 9CD3E4F4-0990-41C4-84B6-4AEFC3276C81.jpeg
    9CD3E4F4-0990-41C4-84B6-4AEFC3276C81.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 44
  • 73D8CA3D-4604-4916-8D4D-96DE65C2E56F.jpeg
    73D8CA3D-4604-4916-8D4D-96DE65C2E56F.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 49
Took a break away from posting here due to covid stresses but I wanted to give a small update: The redbud seems to have done just fine being uncovered in our pretty mild winter. I absent-mindedly was watering and realized that I was seeing the flower buds on some of the lower branches. I expect in the next couple weeks to see the flower show which is super exciting, I wasn’t expecting flowers at this age!

I’m still trying to figure out what I want the shape/silhouette of this tree to be in the end.

Oh I also took a beginners pottery class recently and will be working my way toward at some point throwing or hand building a pot for this tree!
Good to freakin’ see ya, hey!! *Wisconsin accent*

As an outsider observer... I was a lil’ confused, just now.

All is well.

Carry on!

🤓

Do the species proper. One of my favorite trees. We have a native here in CA. Cercis Occidentalis.
My GF got one from a purely CA natives nursery. Did great until she had to move it, then died at a mere 3 foot multi-branched whip. I pulled lifted a few seedlings a few inches tall from outside a botanical garden. Lasted a few weeks then died.

I would imagine the best time to do pot work would be at the end of dormancy when the branch buds start swelling when the tree has the most vigor.....but who knows. You’ll let us know won’t you.

A very late time for the flowers to start blooming! The leaf buds are already starting up and down the branches

Attachments

• CF5EA48F-87ED-4F6F-A6AA-C02DDF914748.jpeg
    CF5EA48F-87ED-4F6F-A6AA-C02DDF914748.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 43
Since this thread I have scouted my local parks for seedlings. There are for sure small and large leaved varieties. Quarter/nickel sized leaves to baseball sized leaves.
I think the smaller leafed variety have our native CA cercis occidentalis dna in them.

For something entirely different — I drove an hour out of my way to a semi-local pottery studio and took my first stab at learning how to throw. If I’m going to be making a pot for this challenge I want to know enough to be dangerous.

My final design will likely be slab built instead of thrown but I wanted to get my feet wet with learning clay. The first was my attempt at a planter and the second was just me playing with forms and ending with a funky sake glass. Unfortunately the wall of the planter sagged a bit while drying before the kiln so next time I’ll make it thicker all around !

Attachments

• F3D53EF3-B2D0-4971-9943-7732B4BAAD67.jpeg
    F3D53EF3-B2D0-4971-9943-7732B4BAAD67.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 35
  • EC5B8F68-DAD5-4452-9032-870DE45F2AF7.jpeg
    EC5B8F68-DAD5-4452-9032-870DE45F2AF7.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 38
some better pics now that the majority of the flowers have bloomed or fallen due to the rain

It feels like the timeline for this guy is 6 months shorter than for most the rest of the field :( They really shine when in flower...which means early spring...

I absolutely love how they just randomly flower from anywhere. Including very old bark!!

So fun fact, the blossoms from the redbud can be brewed into a tea which can then be made into a jelly! This batch contains the few from my bonsai this spring and the rest from a tree nearby.

Attachments

• 7599E7FA-18B1-48EB-BC9E-9EA0AE385C00.jpeg
    7599E7FA-18B1-48EB-BC9E-9EA0AE385C00.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 25
  • A245F784-AC06-4508-85E7-23AA1B39E9A6.jpeg
    A245F784-AC06-4508-85E7-23AA1B39E9A6.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom