2 years of development

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Or pu

Or put it in a colander and be done in 5.
It's an elm. Not a beech or hornbeam.
No need to worry about shade weakening buds closer to the trunk.
It's an elm.
I cut a couple of mine back 3 times this year. Too much?
No. It's an elm.
I use a combination of wiring and clip and grow. Had to wire some twice this year.
Why?
Because they are elms.
I have a shorter growing season than most here. So I'm done already. But in the spring,more cutting and wiring.
Elms.

I get it, it's an elm. ;)

As for the number of prunings being too little or too much, it depends entirely on what phase the tree is at and what one is trying to accomplish. For a finished, refined tree, it might take lots of pruning cycles to prevent the branches from outgrowing their design. But if you are developing a trunk or major branches, it often makes sense to let things run to add some wood to speed up the development process.

When I'm in early development phases, I'll still prune, but I tend to prune further out on the branch, not tight into the trunk. This keeps the branch from outgrowing the design too quickly, but often leads to serendipitous branching tighter into the trunk showing up along the way. I tend to treat trees at this stage like a hedge, and keep them clipped to a slightly larger frame than I ultimately want to prune back to. I'll wire in some motion along the way to keep things interesting.

This lets it get nice and messy in a controlled manner, and you have a lot more to choose from next season. As long as none of the branches outgrow the scale or threaten reverse taper issues, there's really no down side to doing this.

In @evmibo 's case, it looks like what is needed is major/minor branch development. When I'm at that phase, I tend to let things grow out a bit more, especially elms, because I know that they'll back-bud when I finally do prune them. When I finally prune back hard, I want to be locking in something interesting, not necessarily still waiting for something interesting to happen. Since the stated goal is to have the tree get bigger anyway, I'd personally let it have more unrestricted growth than it's getting.

Anyway, just a clarification on my thought process. If it makes sense, great. If not, or if you have a better way, then nothing to see here. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I finally prune back hard, I want to be locking in something interesting, not necessarily still waiting for something interesting to happen.

I love this part!

Sorce

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
I know it's godzilla, I was just hoping you just might have one at home (or in a nearby pond or lake) that's tipping over your elms :p :) It would be cool.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny too......

I was searching for contraband in that wide angle photo. ......

Saw Santa, then oh no!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poor Rupert!!

Just wait...Rupert will post up his own thread documenting his own, "2 years in development".....

Yikes!! Let's hope Frary gets him some pants before then!!!:eek: :rolleyes: :)

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Spring trim and a new pot. I need more pots. Anybody have rectangle pots they're selling? PM me.

Attachments

• IMG_3910.JPG
    IMG_3910.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3911.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3913.JPG
    IMG_3913.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 99

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
What a great thread! It's a perfect example of why this site is so amazing. You take an elm chop it then follow instructions from some great peeps now that thing looks great!

I was not aware that elms would sprout humans from the roots like that but it's good to know.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shorty has an intelligent look in his eye!
Push him!

My daughter is in first grade and 1st in her class in math "timings" test.
And second to one boy in her grade level.

But here's the thing....
My little guy, with that same look in his eye....2 years younger than her and doing the same math!

If I throw a harder problem out to her....
Sometimes he'll answer first!

Anyway, great looking kid!

I'm throwing this in here so we can flip flop the pics to peep change.
photo 1 (4).JPG
Great progress....
I still think the top should be "more delicate".

Love the pot!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couldn't help myself.

aviary-image-1490265774701.jpeg

I think the apex could be more well thought out than I deleted.....

But those 2 side branches....
(especially if we can not pleasingly remove one altogether...)

I think you can favor the backside growth for depth, and get it more delicate looking at the sides.

Big Zone Envy!:D

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spring trim and a new pot. I need more pots. Anybody have rectangle pots they're selling? PM me.
A beautiful tree and baby! Congrats on both, and they appear to be of a similar age.. well, the length of time this tree has been in training, and the kid?

Go check out the $.99 bonsai auctions on Facebook. Always a bunch of pots available there... Just depends on what you are looking for.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like when good threads are going on. Found this today...

Top Bottom