Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Without the flash

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Natural lighting is always better when u have it.
I agree with above except for the word always. I rarely think a flash is better than ambient light but here I really believe that the flash picture evokes a better "mood". Definitely more "artsy" it looks like a fine painting. The grain in the wood base and texture of the wall is softer. Having the natural picture larger than the flash picture gives the natural one a visual advantage. I feel that you should have made them the same and preferably side by side rather than stacked for this comparison. Top picture looks ready to frame and bottom picture looks like a fine photograph.
Really nice job.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with above except for the word always. I rarely think a flash is better than ambient light but here I really believe that the flash picture evokes a better "mood". Definitely more "artsy" it looks like a fine painting. The grain in the wood base and texture of the wall is softer. Having the natural picture larger than the flash picture gives the natural one a visual advantage. I feel that you should have made them the same and preferably side by side rather than stacked for this comparison. Top picture looks ready to frame and bottom picture looks like a fine photograph.
Really nice job.
Good points. I may have stood farther away from the tree with the one. Unsure why one photo is larger honestly.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
if you want to make the better picture, think about the focus too, some stems seem to be much better in focus then leaves closer or further away, while this effect is appealing in some cases, in this picture its not. A smaller aperture setting on your camera can change this. Perhaps the camera took the wall as focus point here, it Looks a bit like that. Make sure the focus is on the tree

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
if you want to make the better picture, think about the focus too, some stems seem to be much better in focus then leaves closer or further away, while this effect is appealing in some cases, in this picture its not. A smaller aperture setting on your camera can change this. Perhaps the camera took the wall as focus point here, it Looks a bit like that. Make sure the focus is on the tree
🤣 shows what I was looking at. The pot. 🤦

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
🤣 shows what I was looking at. The pot. 🤦
It IS a cool pot, though.

I'm not sure what sort of camera you're using, but something else that can be considered, is bouncing the flash off of another surface (ceiling, a white board/card, a wall) rather than pointing it directly at the subject matter. That can soften the light given off and provide more of an accent light, rather than a harsh blast.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure which I prefer. I think overall the color of the foliage is represented better in the non-flash photo, but I find the bright spot on the wall very distracting in that photo.

So I think the photo could be improved by a few steps:

1) Different/less reflective background.
2) Using a tripod to steady the camera (this would also standardize the view between photos, as long as you don't change the zoom level).
3) Experimenting with aperture/shutter speed as others have noted to help with depth of field.

Your ability to adjust the settings depends on the type of camera, many don't allow much user control.

You could also do some post-photo editing if you have software. It might turn out that the flash photo could be improved by adjusting the brightness/contrast.

FWIW, I find fall color to be one of the hardest things to get right in photos like this; often the foliage comes out too dark and if you try to lighten it with an editor you often lose some of the saturation/brilliance. So I usually take several photos, with different lighting, different background (dark vs light), and still usually wind up having to edit the images afterwards.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not sure which I prefer. I think overall the color of the foliage is represented better in the non-flash photo, but I find the bright spot on the wall very distracting in that photo.

So I think the photo could be improved by a few steps:

1) Different/less reflective background.
2) Using a tripod to steady the camera (this would also standardize the view between photos, as long as you don't change the zoom level).
3) Experimenting with aperture/shutter speed as others have noted to help with depth of field.

Your ability to adjust the settings depends on the type of camera, many don't allow much user control.

You could also do some post-photo editing if you have software. It might turn out that the flash photo could be improved by adjusting the brightness/contrast.

FWIW, I find fall color to be one of the hardest things to get right in photos like this; often the foliage comes out too dark and if you try to lighten it with an editor you often lose some of the saturation/brilliance. So I usually take several photos, with different lighting, different background (dark vs light), and still usually wind up having to edit the images afterwards.
I have intentions of adding a pull down blind in the greenhouse for background intentions. But this year I've done a lot of tweaks to indoors and outdoors wintering. So that's not high priority right now. Maybe spring. Loading a video of tree to YouTube so you can see the deep fall colors that as you say are hard to photograph. 😉

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love the zoom in on the pot, too. haha. :D
I love the fall colors...but the pot combo 🥰 made that purchase myself...buying from Japan. Had to not only change language but also font size. 🤦 Huge headache...when not being home when third party shipping needed a few ends tied up. In another country with all my passwords and links to font size and sites I used to change everything back home. But got it figured out in the end. So yeah...love all the pot stands for. 😉 An accomplishment...

Top Bottom