“Biba” Bougainvillea Bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’ve been hunting for exotic or rare Bougainvillea cultivars that are hard to get in the US. Once I saw that people sell plants on Etsy, I started seeing all kinds of bougainvillea I’ve never seen before. With multi colored bracts of all different colors. The only problem is they’re all in Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Korea etc. I finally found a seller that had a few of these interesting varieties state side so ofcourse I jumped on one. This one is just called Biba and has white, pink, and white/pink flowers or bracts. Similar to Imperial Thai Delight, but not quite the same. Anyhow, I’ve had this one 3-4 months so I’m going to post its progress in this thread. If anyone has any helpful tips or tricks or feedback I’d love to hear it.
It was pretty much bare rooted when I received it and no leaves, but I could see it was alive and ready to grow. I don’t have it in bonsai soil yet, but I did prune some inward and crossing branches then let it grow. Just today I started wiring it a bit. I’m not sure though if wiring or clip and grow would be better. I’m leaning toward light wiring but we’ll see…. The first -picture is what the blooms look like. The 2nd is when I received it. The rest are from today. I tried to upload a video but it says the file is too large. :/

Lastly, the start of the branching is kind of high up on the tree IMO, so considering to ground layer it next year. The trunk has some movement but not a ton.

Attachments

• IMG_7501.jpeg
    IMG_7501.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5670.jpeg
    IMG_5670.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7486.jpeg
    IMG_7486.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7487.jpeg
    IMG_7487.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7488.jpeg
    IMG_7488.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7489.jpeg
    IMG_7489.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7490.jpeg
    IMG_7490.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7491.jpeg
    IMG_7491.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7492.jpeg
    IMG_7492.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7493.jpeg
    IMG_7493.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7494.jpeg
    IMG_7494.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7495.jpeg
    IMG_7495.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7496.jpeg
    IMG_7496.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 21
I’ve been hunting for exotic or rare Bougainvillea cultivars that are hard to get in the US. Once I saw that people sell plants on Etsy, I started seeing all kinds of bougainvillea I’ve never seen before. With multi colored bracts of all different colors. The only problem is they’re all in Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, Korea etc. I finally found a seller that had a few of these interesting varieties state side so ofcourse I jumped on one. This one is just called Biba and has white, pink, and white/pink flowers or bracts. Similar to Imperial Thai Delight, but not quite the same. Anyhow, I’ve had this one 3-4 months so I’m going to post its progress in this thread. If anyone has any helpful tips or tricks or feedback I’d love to hear it.
It was pretty much bare rooted when I received it and no leaves, but I could see it was alive and ready to grow. I don’t have it in bonsai soil yet, but I did prune some inward and crossing branches then let it grow. Just today I started wiring it a bit. I’m not sure though if wiring or clip and grow would be better. I’m leaning toward light wiring but we’ll see…. The first -picture is what the blooms look like. The 2nd is when I received it. The rest are from today. I tried to upload a video but it says the file is too large. :/

Lastly, the start of the branching is kind of high up on the tree IMO, so considering to ground layer it next year. The trunk has some movement but not a ton.
I like the bracts, pretty.

Back
Top Bottom