Zelkova

Here's my little zelkova with her clothes off! Working on her all-over tan!
Man, with her cloths off she looks like she needs a bit of wrinkle cream. Her complexion is hideous! :)

Thank goodness she has other ample assets.

Finally some roots on the air-layer!

It took 22 days this time.Usually by day 15 I am ready to separate,but that was on younger whips with softer bark and phloem.
On this bigger tree the bark is harder so it does not split open so readily and allow all the rooting that I seen last year.
But,at any rate there is a lot of swelling around the circumference of the cut and a few roots ,so hopefully will proceed rather quickly now.
I cannot see why the roots will not be radial all the way around.I mean the layer was made at the base of an 8' tree.:)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 39
I separated the last of them around the third week of July last year and had plenty of time to force some growth before autumn,so that means I have a solid three weeks to let these roots grow.It should be pretty explosive now that it is started.

how did this last layer go? any updates on these trees?
its an interesting thread

Thanks,Clyde.Very kind of you.
My entire collection is not with me though,but that is alright.It was donated to an avid grower of bonsai with a greenhouse.
Had a rough year with my mother entering hospice care.The whole family helps me take care of her.
Also have been planning a move for over four months now.Should be closing the deal in a couple weeks:).
And yes,I will be on the lookout to purchase a bonsai.

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I've had loved ones go through hospice. I hope everyone is as good as they can be. Welcome back.

Thanks,Clyde.Very kind of you.
My entire collection is not with me though,but that is alright.It was donated to an avid grower of bonsai with a greenhouse.
Had a rough year with my mother entering hospice care.The whole family helps me take care of her.
Also have been planning a move for over four months now.Should be closing the deal in a couple weeks:).
And yes,I will be on the lookout to purchase a bonsai.

Let me just wish you peace and new beginnings. Sorry to hear about your mom. Don't wait till you get settled to pop in again, you have friends here. :)

Back
Top Bottom