Wulfskaar's Woollybush (Adenanthos sericeus)

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I came into possession of a Woollybush, but have no idea how to deal with it.

I think it will grow very well in my area, as this seems like more of a desert plant. It's cool because it looks pine-like but the leaves are super soft.

I've seen that it needs very little water, so maybe soil should be mostly inorganic?

Any ideas on turning this into a bonsai? (calling @Shibui )

IMG_20231021_095338.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Adenanthos are native to West Australia so they are adapted to sandy, well drained soils and low humidity. They do not like wet feet! A well draining soil is best, especially in pots but they do very well as potted plants. I'd agree with trying the inorganic mix.
They also take pruning really well but I have not tried cutting way back to very old wood. Certainly no problem cutting right back to the oldest leaves if necessary.
I don't have a lot of experience with root pruning this species as most of my attempts have died from roots being too wet in the pots before I needed to root prune. Maybe limit root pruning to 1/3-1/2 if possible until you can work out what it can take in your area?
Adenanthos grow quite easily from cuttings but excessive high humidity can cause problems.

SoCal climate should suit it well.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Adenanthos are native to West Australia so they are adapted to sandy, well drained soils and low humidity. They do not like wet feet! A well draining soil is best, especially in pots but they do very well as potted plants. I'd agree with trying the inorganic mix.
They also take pruning really well but I have not tried cutting way back to very old wood. Certainly no problem cutting right back to the oldest leaves if necessary.
I don't have a lot of experience with root pruning this species as most of my attempts have died from roots being too wet in the pots before I needed to root prune. Maybe limit root pruning to 1/3-1/2 if possible until you can work out what it can take in your area?
Adenanthos grow quite easily from cuttings but excessive high humidity can cause problems.

SoCal climate should suit it well.
That is valuable info! Thank you once again! I will keep this thread updated with whatever happens.

Top Bottom