Will this work?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My biggest weakness is watering my trees. I put some yarn, inside a plastic tube running from a bucket of water to a few pots. All are trees I’m just barely starting, some cuttings. I plan to not water other than with this method and see how they do. Thoughts?
will this work? Will the soil stay watered? I used trees that hold no value to me to test this out on.
I figure it’ll either be an awesome solution for watering, or the soil will dry.
Personally expect your trees to die. I learned to water as a kid. It is pretty much a strength of mine. My trees are ALWAYS hand watered. You need to learn it or find a non green hobby🤪🧐

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Personally expect your trees to die. I learned to water as a kid. It is pretty much a strength of mine. My trees are ALWAYS hand watered. You need to learn it or find a non green hobby🤪🧐

I normally try to assume the best intentions, but I can't figure out a way to read your comment that it isn't rude and unhelpful.

OP, I recommend you focus on mnemonic aids rather than automatic watering. Automatic watering is great for a week at a time while you're taking your summer vacation, but in the long term, it isn't optimal for the health of the trees.

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I put the Amazon bought water wicks in, the yarn did seem to be working somewhat.
My next idea is getting a 50 gallon bucket and attaching some sort of hand pump sprayer. The hose attachment is on the back side of the house where the trees wouldn’t get sun. I’m just trying to make an easier way to water so I don’t forget.

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And finding a non green hobby is not an option unfortunately. I love bonsai. I used to actually be pretty good at watering, then life shit happened and made it more difficult to remember.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Automatic watering is great for a week at a time while you're taking your summer vacation, but in the long term, it isn't optimal for the health of the trees.

Please explain why you think using an automatic watering system isnt optimal for the health of the trees.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please explain why you think using an automatic watering system isnt optimal for the health of the trees.

Fungus. If you have an expensive setup, it could be as close to optimal as realistically possible, but using a cheaper setup tends to mean some plants will be too wet.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fungus. If you have an expensive setup, it could be as close to optimal as realistically possible, but using a cheaper setup tends to mean some plants will be too wet.

I agree if your trees are staying wet for a long time, it can be a problem.
I use an oscillating sprinkler. The key is timing. I have it set to go off in the morning so the trees dry off fairly quickly and I do preventative treatments for fungus on my pines which you should do anyway. I dont really have much of an issue with fungus. When I used to hand water and only could water at night after work, the foliage stayed wetter for longer.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree if your trees are staying wet for a long time, it can be a problem.
I use an oscillating sprinkler. The key is timing. I have it set to go off in the morning so the trees dry off fairly quickly and I do preventative treatments for fungus on my pines which you should do anyway. I dont really have much of an issue with fungus. When I used to hand water and only could water at night after work, the foliage stayed wetter for longer.

That's a good point about timing. If you're watering too late at night, it will definitely leave your trees too wet for too long. I found that even with my sprinklers set to go off in the morning, I still had issues with needle fungus on pines and powdery mildew on deciduous trees. I've switched to hand watering because I can avoid wetting the foliage at all, or at least I can minimize it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a good point about timing. If you're watering too late at night, it will definitely leave your trees too wet for too long. I found that even with my sprinklers set to go off in the morning, I still had issues with needle fungus on pines and powdery mildew on deciduous trees. I've switched to hand watering because I can avoid wetting the foliage at all, or at least I can minimize it.
This iswhy typically drippers or micro-spray jets are recommended. but these have challenges of pots not getting fully hydrated. And of course, automated watering assume the same level of watering is needed every day, leaving some pots too wet or too dry on some days.

Top Bottom