Will this work?

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My biggest weakness is watering my trees. I put some yarn, inside a plastic tube running from a bucket of water to a few pots. All are trees I’m just barely starting, some cuttings. I plan to not water other than with this method and see how they do. Thoughts?
will this work? Will the soil stay watered? I used trees that hold no value to me to test this out on.
I figure it’ll either be an awesome solution for watering, or the soil will dry.

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpeg
    IMG_1409.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 75

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Love the experiment. Look forward to seeing how it works.

I haven't done this so these are just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Capillary action will draw water up but I'm not sure how far up it can manage. There would be no problem taking water from the top half of the bottle but it may struggle a bit when water level gets below soil level. Maybe lift the bottle up so it's base is around soil level to get max water use.
Next factor is how much water will flow through the system and how far that water will permeate through the boxes so it is likely you'll get dry parts and damp parts in each box, especially the box in the foreground where the tube appears to be close to one side.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the water wicking system. I am not sure how well your yarn will hold up, but you can buy water wicks in various lengths and diameters on Amazon. I have used it inside during winter for many tropicals. It has worked for me very well. I also use trays filled with small pebbles with the pots set down in the pebbles. Action is the same. Pebbles act as a wicking agent for pots. Next winter most of my indoor bonsai will have water wicks so that I can travel a bit without worry. Of course I will be getting rid of many plants 'cause I have too damn many. I am just learning to throw away my trimmings as opposed to rooting every piece I prune,

Mad Tabby

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
My biggest weakness is watering my trees. I put some yarn, inside a plastic tube running from a bucket of water to a few pots. All are trees I’m just barely starting, some cuttings. I plan to not water other than with this method and see how they do. Thoughts?
will this work? Will the soil stay watered? I used trees that hold no value to me to test this out on.
I figure it’ll either be an awesome solution for watering, or the soil will dry.
Depends. What material is your yarn made out of? One of the best materials I’ve used is cotton shoelaces. Or cotton oil lamp wicks (unused of course).

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The tubes go into the soil alittle and I spread the yarn out around the pots, not sure how well that’ll work or if the soil will just take the water off the yarn as soon as it hits soil.
Each tube has about 4peices of yarn, and no clue what type of yarn it is? Regular yarn my wife had and said I could use.

If I got water wicks from Amazon would that make it so I didn’t have to water with the hose?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are having trouble keeping up with watering, Id suggest a hose, lawn sprinkler and a timer with a fresh set of batteries
That way you never "forget"

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you are having trouble keeping up with watering, Id suggest a hose, lawn sprinkler and a timer with a fresh set of batteries
That way you never "forget"
I’ve tried that, it never worked right. I’m sure I could do it again and do a better job at it but I’ve since just asked my kids to water when they remember, asked my wife and I do it myself too. Between the group of us the trees get watered, but it is not at great consistency.
It seems like such a basic and easy thing to fix but for whatever reason it has been incredibly difficult

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dude, it is not that difficult. You go out and check your trees evwryday, water them if they need to be watered. That's it. There's no more to it

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thoughts?
will this work? Will the soil stay watered?
It might, but it does assume your trees will need constant wetness and that you can regulate the amount of water coming in and out. Your substrate is tricky as it will hold too much water in buffer and can become an airless muck. I would be less concerned when you have a more open, mineral substrate.

Next to this is another key thing involved in watering: Checking your trees. Wehn you water, you also notice -after time- when problems start to occur. You see ants and check for aphids. One tree looks wilting, you check the roots, stability in the pot and for borers etcetc. So to me watering is ALSO seeing each tree for a second each day.

It seems like such a basic and easy thing to fix but for whatever reason it has been incredibly difficult
You need to put it in your daily routine. Does not really matter WHEN (ALthough I prefer to not routinely water after sun is going down, for fungal infections). If you always right after getting up and having breackfast, before running off to work water your trees, it becomes second nature.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you always right after getting up and having breackfast, before running off to work water your trees, it becomes second nature.
not only this, but it becomes a part of your day you look forward to. I learn so much by manually watering my trees, and I can’t imagine automating that away except by necessity, even if it could be automated well and easily (which it cannot).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You need to put it in your daily routine.
This assumes your daily routine includes being home at some stage. Some people do not have that luxury, in which case bonsai may not be the right sport for them. Or the need to come up with innovative ways to manage the needs of the trees.

I’ve since just asked my kids to water when they remember, asked my wife and I do it myself too. Between the group of us the trees get watered, but it is not at great consistency.
So many bonsai people have tried this. It is not reliable and mostly disappointment and recriminations result.
I'm pretty confident there are more reliable ways to manage watering. Timers and sprinklers can work. Timers and drip or micro sprays also work well. I've had various incarnations for more than 20 years that manage hundreds of trees. There can be teething issues, especially if you are not familiar with the various parts and how they work. It will cost a few $ but when done properly it will work way better than any friend or relative. How much are your trees worth?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve tried that, it never worked right. I’m sure I could do it again and do a better job at it but I’ve since just asked my kids to water when they remember, asked my wife and I do it myself too. Between the group of us the trees get watered, but it is not at great consistency.
Odd that you haven't gotten it to work.
I've used an Orbit battery operated timer, hose and lawn sprinkler for over 5 years. I have 2 separate zones controlled by 2 different timers. Only time I had a problem was when the sprinkler got partially clogged after 2 or 3 years and I didn't switch it out.

As long as I have fresh batteries every spring and the sprinklers are functioning the way they should, it's been a big help because I'm able to time the watering for the morning before the heat of the day.

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sounds like i need to look into an automatic sprinkler system. Yea i work nights and bunches of days in a row, which doesn't help my routine. the trees i have plugged into these things are worth whatever it took to put some cuttings, and two easily dug trees. one is a trident i bought for 20 bucks. so nothing special. its not the end of the world if its a massive failure.

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
so far it seems the water at least does go to the pots, but doesnt seem to spread out too wel

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i got the wicks from amazon but havent put them in yet.
yea i work nights as a rn, so my schedule is all over the place

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
not only this, but it becomes a part of your day you look forward to. I learn so much by manually watering my trees, and I can’t imagine automating that away except by necessity, even if it could be automated well and easily (which it cannot).
And to be fair, watering your plants takes 10 minutes. If you cant do that, then you have more plants than you can manage anyways

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just suck at remembering to do it, i know its a ridiculous problem, but that's my biggest issue

Top Bottom