Whats wrong with Alberta Spruce?

potatofarmer

Sapling
Reaction score
im not regretting the 15 bucks i spent so far. I dont mind its growth pattern personally, it looks good enough for me.

dunno if it's a dwarf or regular alberta spruce or are they the same thing? the label didn't specify.

No clue what to do next with it. wiring out each branch seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. I guess i will just let it grow. :)

Attachments

• 263069483_1509330482786719_5912365921099048695_n.jpg
    263069483_1509330482786719_5912365921099048695_n.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20240514_113646.jpg
    20240514_113646.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 65
Keep in mind that spruce take a long time to set with wire. Mine has been in wire three times over the past 1,5 years and it’s only now starting to hold its position - just about.

It’s therefore advisable to wire young branches as soon as possible. The younger, the quicker they set.

It takes a long time to get branches to hold, like a long time- here's mine that took 7 year from store bought to get here

nice tree.

are these the same type of spruce because the foliage looks so different. mine is just covered with needles everywhere, even the trunk. did you take off most of the needles? will mine change when it gets older?

Keep in mind that spruce take a long time to set with wire. Mine has been in wire three times over the past 1,5 years and it’s only now starting to hold its position - just about.

It’s therefore advisable to wire young branches as soon as possible. The younger, the quicker they set.

i wired the right hand side with a coat hanger. it was a pain, used pliers etc. it seems to have held after 6 months.

the coat hanger really dug into the side of the trunk. maybe that's why it held faster? i read somewhere it will hold faster if the wires bite. i dont notice the scars much. it doesnt scar like a maple at least.

i wired the right hand side with a coat hanger. it was a pain, used pliers etc. it seems to have held after 6 months.

the coat hanger really dug into the side of the trunk. maybe that's why it held faster? i read somewhere it will hold faster if the wires bite. i dont notice the scars much. it doesnt scar like a maple at least.

All your trees branches are oriented upward but if you were to wire them down to create a mature spruce image (like in the thumbnail of that video) these trees have a tendency to rebound back to an upright habit. I think this is some kind of adaptation to withstanding heavy snow loads.

Back
Top Bottom