What size nursery pot to use? Rule of thumb?

Bonsai Heresy? Doesn't it mention in the forward that the info within is more geared towards trees in a refinement stage as opposed to raw material?
It does. But that specific section on pg 61 is called out as pertaining to development. Most of the book is about refinement though.

@geargarcon, what are your goals for that tree? Are you trying to grow the trunk or refine the branches? The answer to that question will dictate the pot.

It does. But that specific section on pg 61 is called out as pertaining to development. Most of the book is about refinement though.

@geargarcon, what are your goals for that tree? Are you trying to grow the trunk or refine the branches? The answer to that question will dictate the pot.
Just to let them develop. That’s why I was initially going to go with a nursery pot.
This all started because my plants are all a mess in different pots (whatever I had leftover from old nursery purchases) at the back of the yard and my wife has described it as looking… well, not so nice. So I’m building a bench and getting matching nursery pots so my hobby is not such an eye sore in the backyard. I figured I would use this as an opportunity to improve the substrate and containers while I’m at it

It is true my website there in the siggy line is only pots.
Search here for me saying "resorce". That's all my special bonsai info.

Sorce
Thank you. I like your hand built pots. I used to like making pieces building them by hand rather than using a wheel. They have a 'velveteen rabbit' look about them...Can't explain it but you may know what I mean. Yours are lovely.

Something else to consider. When you put them together, you can make them quite shallow. And they come in a variety of sizes. They’re not cheap, but with some hunting you can find them for a reasonable price. So far the best price I’ve found was a guy selling on the 99cent bonsai auction group on Facebook.

Attachments

• 15BB5C23-91BB-42C2-A12A-50DE6B240D4C.jpeg
    15BB5C23-91BB-42C2-A12A-50DE6B240D4C.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 29
very interesting. I’ve heard of air pruning pots before but haven’t really looked into them. Definitely intriguing.

I’m going to tryI wonder if I could get a similar effect by drilling a copious amount of holes in a pot I currently have.
Air pruning pots also have rivets so the roots can’t go in a circle. Never used them for bonsai, but they can make for some explosive growth in peppers, tomatoes, and other plants. I will be testing bonsai stock this year.

Attachments

• 9E2EE444-14E8-4E62-8296-FE4D63EB99B7.jpeg
    9E2EE444-14E8-4E62-8296-FE4D63EB99B7.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 21
Air pruning pots also have rivets so the roots can’t go in a circle. Never used them for bonsai, but they can make for some explosive growth in peppers, tomatoes, and other plants. I will be testing bonsai stock this year.
I ended up getting these off of Amazon and I absolutely love them. All of my plants are thriving in them.

Back
Top Bottom