what is the best wire for tying in trees--could fine SS cable work?

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
What is the best wire for tying in trees: experts seem to be all over the place in this one. there must be a great malleable strong rust-resistant wire one can use--but what? Galvanized wire its brittle and stick and rusts out pretty quick for me. Aluminum is OK for little things but too stretchy and soft for the big-uns. Stainless is not malleable and also brittle but at least it lasts. Has anyone ever used fine SS cable--that would be the shit if one could source SS slide through locking mechanisms.

I use aluminum for almost everything, including very large trees. I have used galvanized fence wire (16g) but Ill stick to using aluminum or copper. I didnt like the way the fence wire doesnt work harden.

Ss cable (like gripple?) would be too expensive for me, and dealing with friction locks would be a pain in smaller pots. Just my opinion. I tend to not try and rethink the wheel.

I use a small gauge galvanized steel that has a green rubber insulation, so far no rusting. It is a dollar store product so I get a nice sized roll for a couple bucks.

I use stainless steel electric fence wire bought at Lowe’s. One roll is 1/4 mile. Considering how much we can spend on materials it’s nice to have one supply you can buy by the mile.

Perhaps you’re not using a heavy enough gauge of aluminum. I have never had a problem with stretching.

I use 2 mm aluminum but anything should work. After all your main goal is to stabilize the tree until the roots take hold and do the job themselves. I have though of using plain steel wire since it would basically dissolve over time sort of like some suture material. Nigel Saunders never wires his tree into pots.

What is the best wire for tying in trees: experts seem to be all over the place in this one. there must be a great malleable strong rust-resistant wire one can use--but what? Galvanized wire its brittle and stick and rusts out pretty quick for me. Aluminum is OK for little things but too stretchy and soft for the big-uns. Stainless is not malleable and also brittle but at least it lasts. Has anyone ever used fine SS cable--that would be the shit if one could source SS slide through locking mechanisms.
Aluminum is fine for most circumstances, even large trees. One simply uses larger gauge. In extreme case of collection and few roots or weird shaped rootball I often use a cross piece of wood anchored to the grow box and screwed in to the trunk for stability!
Very strong thin wire will cut into the roots and create damage when tightened.

I have been a fan of unnannealed still jacketed wire.
In colors easy to see, hidden from view.

Sorce

Steel would be extremely hard to shape where and how you want it I would imagine. Plus stainless is much more brittle than carbon steel so amplify how hard it is to shape and use by several integers. You wouldn’t get stainless to twist very well I wouldn’t imagine. If you can’t make aluminum work maybe you just need to add an extra run or two of wire. The reason softer wires work is because they allow you to yield the material much easier. That’s why your bread twist ties are aluminum not steel.

Aluminum 2.0......and I've never had a problem. Holds extremely well. Never have breakage.

There is lots of very strong stainless steel fishing leader wire available including crimp on sleeves to terminate the ends. I don't have any Marlin or Tuna sized trees so I've been using aluminum and copper wire. I stretch it first to get it arrow straight and this also helps to harden it a bit before using.

I use 2.0 aluminum for most things and 14 or 16 guage (I forget) copper for trees I think need a bit more than what aluminum provides

Why not?
It should work great.

I use aluminum electric fence wire, it's stiffer with little give and honestly someone gave me a leftover roll so I've been using it for years. It must be a different alloy because it doesn't act like bonsai wire at all. Not as stiff as steel of course.

I've used the green coated florist's wire, don't know if it is carbon steel or what. I does rust out after 5 to 10 years, but by that time I'm usually ready to repot. I used the floral wire because it was handy, not out of necessity. It really seemed to work well.

Most of my trees are smaller than yours, @crust - for my smaller ones aluminum is fine. I have used copper wire, especially where I do not want any stretching. Really have had no problems.

I use 17 gauge electric fence wire. I like that it rusts away as the tree becomes fixed in the pot. and by the time I re pot it is mostly gone.

Back
Top Bottom