What have I done? A couple of new ficus trees...

I think you are headed in the right direction. I have never tried fusing branches together. Here where I live we don't need to do this, if we let a branch run... it is quite possible to end up with a one inch or more branch in a grown season! So no need here... but I understand where you are at you will not get this type of growth.

I will give you a critical tip though.... if you are trying to make these fuse faster, and or grow a branch out, you need to do two things... first, greatly cut back areas above, and do continual pruning periodically above. This helps send energy back down. Work on these lower branches first.... the top will always get more energy and can be worked later with little ease, seeing the tree naturally wants to grow tall.
Secondly, I would put some wire on the branches you want to thicken, then bend the ends of the branches up towards the sky... again, because a tree naturally wants to grow tall, this will greatly add to the speed in which a branch grows.
Other than this, the only other area I can see right off the bat, is the heavy chop on the left bottom base of the trunk... you will need to try and allow something to grow near this area, even if it is removed a little later to help this heal over...
With that said, you need to pick your battles... and concentrate on what you feel is the most important thing to do first... trying to accomplish three things at once, makes not much happen... so, if you are worried about the branches, concentrate the trees energy here. Once you have worked this area, then move on to the scar, or vice versa...
Good tips, thanks! Especially the idea to wire the branch tips upward. I'll have to remember that next spring.

I'm not sure what is going to happen with the scar. There are some branches growing in that area that I've left for that reason (to help it heal). I could also graft across the scar or carve it and leave it as a "feature". There is deadwood near the top from an old chop that will have to be dealt with also.

Chris

Update on ficus #2. For the past few years I've been working to fuse the small branches into larger branches/subtrunks. This has involved multiple applications of raffia, tape, zip ties and wire. The process has succeeded for the most part and now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the tree. It was cut back hard earlier this summer (didn't think to take a pic) to force buds to develop further back on those fused branches and has responded with vigorous growth. Helps to be having one of our hotter summers.

This is what it looks like now, letting most of this just grow to build size in the secondary branches. This is probably the front I'm going to be using, different than what I was thinking before. There is an area of dead wood that I think can be interesting. The main fused apical branch can sort of be seen coursing up and back to the right (just below the highest point in the canopy). There is also a large fused horizontal branch on the lower right, one on the lower left toward the back, and one on the upper right. These can't really be seen through the foliage.

I have since removed the roots that were growing horizontally across the trunk.

upright_fredficus_july2018c.jpg

Possible future look

upright_fredficus_july2018c_virt.jpg

Close up of apex subtrunk which is the result of fusing about 5-6 branches. Only partly fused at top and there is a gap near the bottom that needs to be dealt with, but that should close in time.

fred_ficus_merged.jpg

Realized I haven't updated these trees for 2 years and 6 years respectively. Time flies.

Still have both. Got good fusing of all the branches that I was working on. Did some branch removal, thinning, etc a couple of weeks ago and this is where we stand.

Tree 1 (not updated since 2014). I kind of like the way this one is developing. Probably want to reduce the overall size of the canopy but that should come as I keep cutting back and replacing longer shoots with interior growth. Desperately needs a new container, every time I try to move it pieces of plastic break off. These plastic storage bins were not meant to spend years in the sun.

ficus_leaning_july2020.jpg

Tree 2 (updated in 2018). This one seems to have a somewhat coarser growth habit and is more reluctant to bud back. Probably will need a hard cut back of the top next summer. I removed a heavy branch from the left side and eventually will remove most or all of the small branches on the left side to expose the graceful trunk curve.

ficus_upright_july2020.jpg

Maybe something like this, perhaps leaving one small "interest" branch very low on the left side. Large area of deadwood in the front which is holding up pretty well, will probably do some carving on that and use some wood hardener to make sure it doesn't start to break down.

ficus_upright_july2020v02.jpg

Tree #1 is going to look fantastic once it's potted up. Kind of hard to visualize tree #2 at the moment but it's getting there for sure. All in all as usual you do some excellent work.

Reactions: coh
Tree #1 is going to look fantastic once it's potted up. Kind of hard to visualize tree #2 at the moment but it's getting there for sure. All in all as usual you do some excellent work.
Thanks Vin. Haven't seen you on the forum much this summer, hope all is well.

Reactions: Vin
Thanks Vin. Haven't seen you on the forum much this summer, hope all is well.
Nearly all my free time has been spent on getting my house together after the hurricane. I also have an additional responsibility at work of getting the facility repaired and back to pre-hurricane condition. Things are beginning to calm down so I can start spending some time on my trees and this forum. I haven't been able to do much with my trees other than keep them alive and even that hasn't worked out for some. A lot left to do but getting there. Thanks!

Some updates...are we making progress on these? Maybe, but it's slow in this climate. Keep in mind the long term goal with both of these is to produce more finer branching and open up some negative space so you can see the structure, and reduce the "green helmet" appearance. Not there yet.

Ficus 1 (upright). Gradually reducing excess branches. Trying to improve ramification but it is not easy. Tree is currently in a large/deep styrofoam container and that might be part of the problem. Think I'm going to take a stab at reducing the root system next year, both to decrease weight and maybe also the tendency for long internodes. I think I've got all the basic structural pieces and they are thick enough.

The longer term question will be, do I let this get a bit taller and do I keep the lower right branch. Will also have to do some carving on the deadwood.

ficus_up_01 - Copy3.JPG

Ficus 2, the leaner. Took off the lowest branch on the left side and currently using rebar to pull down the remaining branch. Eventually will reduce the amount of foliage on the left branch. Not sure how I will handle the cascading branch on the right. There are other potential "fronts" on this one and I have been having a tough time deciding how to handle this tree.

ficus_lean_02.JPG

wow. these trees have looked extremely healthy year after year... in my experience those big deadwood patches never really close up on this variety of microcarpa... i think this is what they call Cuban laurel ??... well done anyway - these are going to be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom