What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Picked this Mugo Pine up today for $5, it was priced at $15 but I had a$10 off coupon so $5. It's nursery stock from a place close to my house billed as 'Michigan's largest bonsai nursery' and, as a primordial noob it's going to be tough to stay away.

Attachments

• PXL_20220507_223051046.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220507_223051046.MP.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 66

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Found this mugo at a big store when I was shopping for presents for my kids to give their mom for moms day. I figured it would be father's day, my birthday, Christmas or (fill in a believable excuse for me to buy myself something I really don't need). But it's a good looking little tree!

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_135328533_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220508_135328533_HDR.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220508_135805397_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220508_135805397_HDR.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 45

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I just purchased a nursery stock Acer Palmatum Corallinum because I didn’t have one and it’s nice 😅😂. Using a new seller who’s prices are really quite good compared to other online nursery’s offering the same size range for higher costs. So if things turn out well I’ll be adding them to the “European websites” thread.
Got my eye on a few more from them for the future including some Mugo’s if I am satisfied with my test purchase.
I bought a cool little Japanese carving knife- basically an ergonomic shaped piece of sharpened steel. I have always been a big proponenet of cleaning wound edges on big cuts with a razor or Xacto and this knife does the job beautifully with better leverage and control on bigger cuts. This was the first Bonsai purchase I had made in a few years I think. I have plenty of trees (and can’t seem to stop myself from making more!)… So I don’t know if I WILL be buying any new ones for some time. Likely I should start selling them again… 😂

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just picked up a copy of Bonsai Heresy from Stone Lantern. From what I've heard it's more geared towards refinement (whereas I'm almost entirely development at this point), but I'm looking forward to reading it.

Also, has anyone read the Bonsai Today Master Series books? The majority of my trees are JBP and Junipers and these seem to be a good price, was thinking of them for an early bday present :)

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, has anyone read the Bonsai Today Master Series books? The majority of my trees are JBP and Junipers and these seem to be a good price, was thinking of them for an early bday present :)

Yes I have the one for Pines and the one for Juniper.
The one on Pines can be very confusing, as it is a culmination of different artists on different trees.
I rarely pick up the Juniper book except to glance at the Calendar, and there's 2 of those that differ in the "book"...
These "books" are different pieces from Bonsai Today series. If you have the money, they're worth the time to read.
The pages are single and apparently glued in, so that they fall out after a few turns, or at least in my case.
Only books I've ever had this happen with that I can recall. It's inconvenient at worst for me. I haven't lost any pages.

Top Bottom