Wanted: medium to large juniper stock

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm looking for a large juniper to plant in the ground for 2-5 years. I would go for a bit rougher and bigger rather than smaller and more refined. I haven't had much luck finding anything. Any suggestions? Oh, and one that will take the South Louisiana heat.

I'm looking for a large juniper to plant in the ground for 2-5 years. I would go for a bit rougher and bigger rather than smaller and more refined. I haven't had much luck finding anything. Any suggestions? Oh, and one that will take the South Louisiana heat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 69
I got two large San Jose’s and I would be willing to get rid of them . possibly make a trade.

One of them obviously is in a grow box, and the other in a bonsai pot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 74
Plant city bonsai north of Atlanta had a big stock of junipers a few years back if you can travel some.

I'm looking for something a bit bigger. Thanks.
I know Brent used to have quite a few on his specimen page, now only showing one that is sold... drop him an email and see if he have something else. I know Ryan posted a stream of a field grower near him that have junipers... can't recall the name of the place, but Ryan praised the way he field grows so may be something worth asking.

I know Brent used to have quite a few on his specimen page, now only showing one that is sold... drop him an email and see if he have something else. I know Ryan posted a stream of a field grower near him that have junipers... can't recall the name of the place, but Ryan praised the way he field grows so may be something worth asking.
Thanks. Just wondering how big a common, nursery procumbens might get in the ground in 3-5 years. Anyone have any experience with that?

I can get some pics of mine when I get home. It is overgrown, sitting on a basket almost 4 years now. I did cut it back hard in 2022. With what I know now, if it had been in a bag on the grow bed it would be quite larger. I plan on moving it on a bag as soon as I see the tips moving this year and probably growing it out for at least 3 more years. Also, if you want a taller tree, they do need to be staked, I tried wire and failed miserably. Hence the dead "trunk" going up from the middle of the tree.

Spring 2021 in the basket

1708534604704.png

MAR 2023

1708534115636.png

OCT 2023

1708533991217.png

Cool. So, about how big is the trunk?
I'll let you know later when I get home, I don't think it fatten much though... on the other hand, the juniperus horizontalis (or parsonii whatever it is) growth rate almost triple the rate of my nana, I'm debating to build the trunk on that one and then graft with something else.

Thanks. Just wondering how big a common, nursery procumbens might get in the ground in 3-5 years. Anyone have any experience with that?
Procumbens nana are a dwarf variety and are very slow to thicken...IME 3-5 years in a perfect world might net a 50% increase in trunk diameter. If you want a thick trunk it might be better to consider something like san jose or maybe parsoni. Or come off of some cash and buy something already the size you want. I've had a procumbens nana in the ground, allowed to free grow for more than 12 years and the 2" trunk caliper has changed very little. There is also J.procumbens which is not a dwarf and would likely grow faster but they are very rare in my experience in the US.

The trunk on my nana is slightly larger than 1" right now. Keep in mind I bought it as a 1 gal tree and it's been in that basket for 3 years. Given proper supplementation, in a Rootpouch inside a grow bed I think 3-5 years may net an extra inch. Probably staking it allowing one runner to grow as long as possible.

Well, I sold a Bald Cypress recently for a couple hundred and would put that into a decent juniper. I would actually prefer getting a slightly bigger, rougher tree than something that has already been trained extensively. My "thing" is the before and after aspect of bonsai. Just buying and having a nice tree is way down on my list of preferences.

Well, I bit the bullet and drove the two hours to Underhill Bonsai in Folsum, La. I bought a really interesting shimpaku juniper for $100. There's a thread in the Juiniper forum. It's got a 2" base and pretty good nebari. I had not realized that Underhill had that kind of material. Their website does not do the nursery justice. He's got hundreds and hundreds of bald cypress, trident maples, water elm, shimpaku and who knows what else growing in the ground and getting seriously big.

Back
Top Bottom