Vote For What pot to repot a Caitlin Elm into?

What pot to use??

Votes: 13 25.0%

Votes: 9 17.3%

Votes: 7 13.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 7.7%

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters
@rockm, I'll ask Jason Schley next time I see him to explain how and why he discerns between Catlin and caitlin elms. He has a degree in botany and has been in the bonsai business for several decades. He's in a good position to talk about it. I do know that he only had a few caitlins, and made a point of telling me they weren't Catlin's but caitlins so I'll leave it to him to talk about what he knows. Aside from having a huge nursery, he's very knowledgable about bonsai.

The caitlins I saw didn't look anything like his other elms. Not just the leaves but many aspects were different. I was attracted to them because they're so small and make a good shohin.
I'd be interested to hear what he has to say. I've been doing bonsai for as long as him and have talked with many bonsai nursery owners (a few are very close friends) Seen literally thousands of Catlin elms. Owned a few because of their small leaves and tight growth. Never heard of a "caitlin" elm. I have heard people mispronounce the name, though...

I found this guy on my shelf last night. It’s almost identical in size maybe a hair bigger than #6. It’s a nice cream color
View attachment 416864
Nice choice, the cream colour works far better than white, if you come across an antique cream that tends toward the grey tone, that would be a killer choice.

Just a quick photo to illustrate the slight colour change I spoke about. Not this shape of pot, just commenting on colour.

Attachments

• IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 10
Just a quick photo to illustrate the slight colour change I spoke about. Not this shape of pot, just commenting on colour.
That has the look of some age, I think for creams that’s a good one. I haven’t decided one what pot yet. I may try making a pot in the shape of #6 with the color of #5 to see how it looks.

That has the look of some age, I think for creams that’s a good one. I haven’t decided one what pot yet. I may try making a pot in the shape of #6 with the color of #5 to see how it looks.
That could be a good combination, particularly in the fall!

I found this guy on my shelf last night. It’s almost identical in size maybe a hair bigger than #6. It’s a nice cream color
View attachment 416864

That would be my first option now, but if you take of the root ball and put it into the candidate pot, will be more accurate the perspective, and easy to judge it.

Cheers.

@rockm Here's post by @Cadillactaste about a caitlin elm, not a catlin elm. @Cadillactaste, rockm doesn't seem to think there's such a thing as a caitlin elm, only Catlin elms. You'd have to read this thread but maybe you can shed some light. I'm having a busy week and I only know they're very slow to grow and have extremely tiny leaves.

@rockm Here's post by @Cadillactaste about a caitlin elm, not a catlin elm. @Cadillactaste, rockm doesn't seem to think there's such a thing as a caitlin elm, only Catlin elms. You'd have to read this thread but maybe you can shed some light. I'm having a busy week and I only know they're very slow to grow and have extremely tiny leaves.

Uh, ok...Catlin elm has small leaves and grows slowly. That's not a distinction. Ask why you can't find much info on Caitlin and tons of stuff on Catlin...

Uh, just heard from cadillac (who really doesn't post here anymore) via PM that the Caitlin reference was a typo...

@Cadillactaste pm'ed me and said she has a CATLIN elm, not a Caitlin elm as you said. You're confused!

If you still don't believe in catlin elms, here's a video of the Pacific Bonsai Museum repotting a famous catlin elm forest. The Pacific Bonsai Museum didn't make a misspelling!

Back
Top Bottom