USA public transport options?

I've had my meniscus repaired via orthoscopic surgery 3 times. Fairly minor surgery, 1 day recovery. Have you considered?

1 day recovery? I need to see your surgeon next time! 🤣 took me a year to get back to skiing like I was before the meniscus injury….but still worth it!

Hey Jelle,

Adding my 2 cents though I believe you’ve already received the best answer.

Rental car is the way. It’s unfortunate but it’s what our infrastructure is built on. You can pass between major metropolitan areas via train but to really get anywhere or do much of anything you will still need a car even then in 99% of cases.

With a car, something you might enjoy is heading to visit some of the parks that are accessible from DC. Head west toward Virginia and West Virginia and you can quickly reach the hill country and then full on Appalachia from there. Less expensive lodging and some beautiful country.

If you have the time I couldn’t recommend highly enough driving to the Monongahela National Forest by way of Monterey, VA and setting up shop there for a couple days exploring some of the trails. I haven’t gotten the chance myself to do any hiking or anything but I regularly drive through the area for work and it is gorgeous and relatively accessible from DC. Just an idea for you if you’re looking to soak in a little North American nature.

Attachments

• IMG_8428.jpeg
    IMG_8428.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 15
When we lived outside DC my wife used to take one of the bus services from DC to NYC to visit my son and never had any complaints but that was 15 or so years ago. You really haven’t said what you are looking to see. It could be other bonsai gardens and greenhouse, museums, historical attractions, mountain hiking, etc. If in the northeast corridor then Amtrak is really your best option but for beaches and mountains a rental car is your best option. Driving north from DC is a PITA especially now with the bridge in Baltimore out.

Can I float on your expertise for the recommendations for getting around in the USA?

Over the weekend I will be in DC for the shows in the arboretum. Now I have a few days afterwards before heading home. As I have already spent a week in DC a few years back, it felt that I should leave and go see something else. Originally I thought I would go to NY as I have only passed through, but never really visited. It seems however that a hotel & travel there become really expensive, so I have been exploring other options too. (Naturally, open to recommendations; Right now I am considering not going to any major city and just getting a room in a beachtown and breath fresh air).

Every thing I consider visiting, it seems however impossible to get there using public transport (Bus, Train, Plane)?
Busses seem to be 'reasonably' priced. But then I keep getting this information that these are old, worn down machines, prone to breaking down, often hours delayed or do not even show up. Not a good situation if you intent to take the bus on the day of flight to get back to Washington. So I looked into trains. Oddly there the price seems to be very high yet also these do not run on time, with some reflecting how they were more than an hour delayed on a short distance from Philly to DC? Seems like an hour or more delay on a few hundred mile stretch is a frequent occurrence?

How would you recommend getting around? I am looking short distances; so up to 200 miles out
Any thoughts, recommendations?

Yours,

Jelle.
I would NOT make the trip to Philly or NYC. It's a huge hassle with either the train or, God Forbid--driving. Worst traffic (train and auto) in the U.S. on 95. The train is OK, IF there aren't any track problems--which aren't as common as people want you to believe, but are an issue) If you want a short couple of days, trekking up that congested mess isn't worth the time. Look east from D.C. to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, to Cambridge, St Michaels, or even Annapolis, MD. You can probably find small buses running to each. Nearby MD and Delaware Atlantic beaches are also not far away. Rehoboth Beach in Delaware is one of the more popular "DC getaway" beaches and near Ocean City Md. You can get a bus to either place. All are within a relatively easy trip form of D.C. and are vastly more easily accessible than NYC or Philly.

Also, as said, the Blue Ridge Mountains to the West are accessible and (IMO) have some of the most beautiful places in the U.S. The Shenandoah Valley of Va. is a particular gem, and a three hour drive from D.C. on mostly open highways (once you get out of the congestion of the D.C. metro area). Charlottesville, Orange, Harrisonburg, and Staunton, VA are all in the Valley or very near it. Wilderness areas are nearby as well.

Dude, rent a car, drive to nyc from dc. Stop at the jersey shore for a day or two in cape may, stop at longwood gardens, stop by my house along the way and have a beer, then do whatever you want. Do you need to end back up in dc for flight home?

I've had my meniscus repaired via orthoscopic surgery 3 times. Fairly minor surgery, 1 day recovery. Have you considered?
I am too old :eek: for the surgery my orthopedic surgeon told me. The risk of early arthritis is much higher if I have it operated on. I am now on fysio excersizes and most days I am pain-free.

I have no idea how the licensing works, if you're a comfortable driver and it's cheaper that would definitely be the way to go IMO. Make sure to see if it's a daily charge or mileage charge, it's been a while since I've rented one. Plus side gas is way cheaper here too!
Been looking at unlimited milages, daily charge. My international drivers licence should still be valid

I'd recommend the Amish country if you head to PA. The Amish restaurants that have bus parking are the ones I'd avoid. Absolutely gorgeous country.

1 day recovery? I need to see your surgeon next time! 🤣 took me a year to get back to skiing like I was before the meniscus injury….but still worth it!
I was told if I insisted, it would mean 3-6 months no regular use of the leg.. Guess it matters WHICH PART of the meniscus. This is an inner miniscus, where they appearently have a harder time reaching. Outer they would have cleaned up immediately

with the bridge in Baltimore out
THANK YOU!

I forgot about this! Seen the news of course, but yeah, that is going to affect traffic!

I am open to anything, really. Interested in culture, but also plain open spaces. Europe does not really have any of it. Always near people. So getting out of the cities certainly is right up there. THen again.. I miss water, so I might just find a spot on the beach. Listening, weighing options. A car pickup o Sunday afternoon is planned, now I need a destination.

I do need to fly out of DC which means I am restricting myself within ~200 miles from DC.

I was told if I insisted, it would mean 3-6 months no regular use of the leg.. Guess it matters WHICH PART of the meniscus. This is an inner miniscus, where they appearently have a harder time reaching. Outer they would have cleaned up immediately
Weird. One of my was so deep they had to actively twist my knee during surgery to access it. Not sure if inner or outer, i think it was more "back". I was under 21 years old so not surprising that it was a quick healer. But even if not it was crutches for a few days max.

I'm pretty sure I tore it again a 4th time 10 years ago or so, and yeah, 3-6 month recovery I wouldn't do that either. I get along pretty well, just no jogging on concrete.

I would NOT make the trip to Philly or NYC. It's a huge hassle with either the train or, God Forbid--driving. Worst traffic (train and auto) in the U.S. on 95. The train is OK, IF there aren't any track problems--which aren't as common as people want you to believe, but are an issue) If you want a short couple of days, trekking up that congested mess isn't worth the time. Look east from D.C. to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, to Cambridge, St Michaels, or even Annapolis, MD. You can probably find small buses running to each. Nearby MD and Delaware Atlantic beaches are also not far away. Rehoboth Beach in Delaware is one of the more popular "DC getaway" beaches and near Ocean City Md. You can get a bus to either place. All are within a relatively easy trip form of D.C. and are vastly more easily accessible than NYC or Philly.

Also, as said, the Blue Ridge Mountains to the West are accessible and (IMO) have some of the most beautiful places in the U.S. The Shenandoah Valley of Va. is a particular gem, and a three hour drive from D.C. on mostly open highways (once you get out of the congestion of the D.C. metro area). Charlottesville, Orange, Harrisonburg, and Staunton, VA are all in the Valley or very near it. Wilderness areas are nearby as well.

Rockm has the right idea. If you're not staying within D.C., then come over here to the Eastern Shore or head out into the mountains. Either way, you'll be in the playground of D.C. residents.

If you get a car and drive to the eastern shore you could make a side trip on the way to one of the most Northern sites of BAld Cypress in the U.S. in Calvert county. It's an old growth Bald Cypress Swamp at Battle Creek, Md.

Also, Matt Ouwinga's Kaede En bonsai nursery and Japanese pot store is also mostly on the way out there in Dunkirk, MD. If you plan to do that, best to give him a call before you go to make sure he's there.

If you have been in NYC before, I wouldn't go there again. Just go out into the countryside aka 'the real America'.
I see (semi-)locals already have plenty of recommendations.

If you get a car and drive to the eastern shore you could make a side trip on the way to one of the most Northern sites of BAld Cypress in the U.S. in Calvert county. It's an old growth Bald Cypress Swamp at Battle Creek, Md.

Also, Matt Ouwinga's Kaede En bonsai nursery and Japanese pot store is also mostly on the way out there in Dunkirk, MD. If you plan to do that, best to give him a call before you go to make sure he's there.
There are bald cypress growing on Teddy Rosevelt Island in the Potomac River in Washington DC.

The trip to the Eastern Shore would be memorable. I always looked forward to sitting in those traffic jams in the various towns along the way. Reminds me of the time one of our pledge classes kidnapped me and drove me to a crab house on the other side of the bay bridge. Last I heard crabs up there were going for over $100/doz for the big ones.

I lived on 9th street in VA Beach (walking distance to boardwalk) and started my EMS career volunteering at VA Beach Rescue Squad 14. Those were the days!

An ocean view room is worth your time and money.

Eat here:

⬆️ this is the best local spot.

There are bald cypress growing on Teddy Rosevelt Island in the Potomac River in Washington DC.

The trip to the Eastern Shore would be memorable. I always looked forward to sitting in those traffic jams in the various towns along the way. Reminds me of the time one of our pledge classes kidnapped me and drove me to a crab house on the other side of the bay bridge. Last I heard crabs up there were going for over $100/doz for the big ones.
There are bald cypress growing in the ellipse across from the White House. There are several large examples one on the grounds of the National Arboretum

Attachments

• natarbbc.jpg
    natarbbc.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 11

I have no idea what you're taking about. Traffic has never been a problem here, and $100 can get you half a bushel if you talk to the watermen.

If you're an architecture, design, or mid-century modern nerd, Frank LLoyd Wright's Fallingwater is nearby. I've only ever heard wonderful things about it, and it's about a 90-minute drive

If you're more adventure-minded, Ohiopyle, PA (3-hour drive?) is a small adventure down mecca. Whitewater rafting (which is relatively easy on the knees), hiking, mountain biking, etc

If you'd like to tour wine country, the Charlottesville, VA (2-hour drive) has a bunch of vineyards, and I think there's a couple companies that run bus tours, so you can drink most of the wine instead of spit it out

History-minded attractions in the area are plentiful. Mount Vernon, George Washington's manor, is a bikeable distance from DC. There should be a bus route there, but I don't know it off the top of my head. Gunston Hall is George Mason's (another founding father) house and about 30 minutes driving away from the city. Monticello is Thomas Jefferson's estate, 2 hours away close to Charlottesville, VA, and is fantastically preserved, with expansive grounds that have examples of gardens, kitches, stables, slave quarters, etc. Monticello in particular does a lot to reckon with the ugly side of Jefferson's history. Jamestown and Williamsburg are about 3 hours away. Jamestown was the first British colony in the future US, founded in 1604. Williamsburg has a massive historic downtown which usually is full of staff/volunteers living out historical roles on the weekends

Back
Top Bottom