Update... A Few Small Azaleas...fall 2015

Hey Grimmy...no drainage layers for me. I used them years ago but then got lazy and the trees haven't missed it in my garden....your mileage may vary.

I really have no idea why I do just a habit and not positive as I have not tried without using the Fafard. It performs so well I may skip it. I find a handful of perlite and coarse sand gives me good drainage as is.

Grimmy

Looks great, funny I saw your post way back when and I bought two and they are turning out great, I need to buy more for sure to catch up like just buy some off you :)

These were just for you Max! Its hard to tell from the photo but that one has had the most serious work and is a little further along than the others....hard to believe that it looked like this before...
P1080711.JPG
THAT HITCH COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great work John

Absolutely stunning trees. I have 3 that I am busy working on trying to thicken up the trunks but I do not think I will be able to achieve such beauties in 7 yrs.

Thanks for sharing and great inspiration.

I've rewatched your azalea videos on youtube a bunch of times, John. I have to admit that I was always a bit disappointed on the lack of updates so I have to say thank you for sharing these pics. Everything on the bench looks great and I can't believe how good the nebari is on those.

I was inspired by your stuff, John. I've tried to keep a couple cheap azaleas (Chinzan and Gumpo varieties). I didn't protect them enough in winter so they ended up biting the dust. Since then I've been hesitant to try any more azaleas. I've been sticking to junipers and pines since I don't have to fiddle with them much over winter.

Do you do the drastic top chop along with cutting the rootball down at the same time and put them back in the cut down nursery container?

I've rewatched your azalea videos on youtube a bunch of times, John. I have to admit that I was always a bit disappointed on the lack of updates...

You and everybody else friend....

Do you do the drastic top chop along with cutting the rootball down at the same time and put them back in the cut down nursery container?

exactly!

If you don't mind me asking, which Fafard soil do you use?

I am guessing John is probably using the standard Ultra Potting Mix. I went with Fafard Premium Topsoil as it is also highly organic and contains no clay that I can see. I mix it close to 50/50 with coarse sand and a handful or two of perlite. It comes out like a Nursery mix, drains great, and stays damp not soggy. Azaleas like damp not wet - a lot. That Topsoil is 8.99 USD where I get it but you get 40 pounds of excellent quality soil instead of 20 pounds of crap and 20 pounds of water.

http://fafard.com/products/?id=197

Grimmy

I am guessing John is probably using the standard Ultra Potting Mix. I went with Fafard Premium Topsoil as it is also highly organic and contains no clay that I can see. I mix it close to 50/50 with coarse sand and a handful or two of perlite. It comes out like a Nursery mix, drains great, and stays damp not soggy. Azaleas like damp not wet - a lot. That Topsoil is 8.99 USD where I get it but you get 40 pounds of excellent quality soil instead of 20 pounds of crap and 20 pounds of water.

http://fafard.com/products/?id=197

Grimmy
Thanks!

Couple years new to bonsai, started some 2" high Japanese Maple babies from the bark dust under a mother tree, carefully placed them on black lava rock, (those that didn't die are doing rather well). About two months ago was pondering cloning from the 4'-5' boxwood or azalea in the yard, (more specifically was pondering how to bonsai them in place, but I digress). Attempted to clone an azalea instead, (about a 6" branch put in cloning terrarium). Spritzing it today, I spotted some kind of growth on it, about 3/8 diameter, with some color in it, "oh, that's a bloom comming". Whoohoo, it's still alive. Could hardly tell by the mottling of the leaves (but matches the mother plant). Thanks johng, looking at your azaleas I can get an idea of some
potential.

John - I think it was in one of your videos I saw you using a small trimming saw instead of anvil or bypass. You mentioned where you got that saw at a reasonable price but I did not make a note of it. What type of detail saw do you recommend and where can a person find it? Thanks for sharing your information and photos. To say that they are great is an understatement.

Jamie

John - I think it was in one of your videos I saw you using a small trimming saw instead of anvil or bypass. You mentioned where you got that saw at a reasonable price but I did not make a note of it. What type of detail saw do you recommend and where can a person find it? Thanks for sharing your information and photos. To say that they are great is an understatement.

Jamie
The price has doubled since I have been buying these...first ones I bought were about $10...Excellent small saw that allows you to cut branches that would otherwise stand the chance of being crushed with other pruners.
http://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_Saw_p/td8196.htm

Back
Top Bottom