Uneventfull (yet) progression of a Japanse mapple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
2003 : 2 two one year JM seedlings put together through a slate. First action, first error : especially for species with great morphological diversity, one would prefer use cuttings from the same mother tree.

2003.jpg

2005 first repot

2005.jpg

2007 repot again. It is very much like "Edge of Tomorrow", always the same while going a little bit farther.
2007.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
2010 Again
2010.JPG

Summer 2011 : I want to get more taper and lower branches. Chop the tree.
2011.JPG

I think I have lost a repot and an important action: The difference of color and shape of leaves between the two tree was really a no-go so I grafted the child tree with a branch of the main tree.

2015 Repot again
2015.JPG
The apex of the child tree is the result of the graft.
2015-2.JPG
Another mistake: on the main tree, I have let a branch at the base of the big scar of the main tree (I had seen a result that appeared as if it had been done like that on a Japanese production tree, and thought it was the correct way of doing things). The axillary branch sucks the sap flux and greatly slow healing.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see the "pancake nebari" develop due to repeated rootwork and aging.
Time beat all other actions.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for watching.
It was a pleasure.

I still wish it were possible to do this in the same 17 minutes it took to go through all he pix in detail instead of 17 years.
You must have something like 100 other trees that kept you entertained. 😬

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fantastic work, very well done. Only suggestion, which you may already have addressed is the intended apices, best to go in same direction. With mother/daughter twin trunk, usually that is toward little tree. As pictured that would be to the right.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must have something like 100 other trees that kept you entertained.
Yes, started literally hundreds of seedlings. Did killed some, put most of them in my garden for growing (and they will stay there) but I have now far too many trees to work on each of them as I should.
With mother/daughter twin trunk, usually that is toward little tree. As pictured that would be to the right.
Thanks for your advice. In fact Clem told me so when I posted this tree on a French forum and I think it is very true.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Brilliant thread Alain. Thanks for sharing - I followed a similar route when I built a trident clump. Now I feel inspired to give this a go and make a twin trunk

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice progression, congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Could you please, post any photo of the state of the wounds? I'm very interested in see how they are closing.

It's look they are healing extremely well!!

Cheers!

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you so much for the snapshots!

I wish they close complete soon. ;)

Maybe next winter you could apply a bit of lime sulfur all around the trunk, even the wounds, It will help with the fungus and blend the textures of the bark.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for sharing this progression! Really shows what time will do for a tree and is especially helpful for beginners such as myself. Cheers!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe next winter you could apply a bit of lime sulfur all around the trunk, even the wounds, It will help with the fungus and blend the textures of the bark.
Thanks for your advice. I bought a bottle of lime sulfur, years ago but never used it, time to try!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
winter 2018 : starting working on the canopy. Note the high quality pot.
View attachment 324765

Slip-ppoted in a cheap Japanese pot last fall (2019)
View attachment 324766

Today
View attachment 324770
Close-up on the nebari (I like it)
View attachment 324768
I’d cal this pretty eventful! What a progression! 17 years in the life of a tree that was grown with a clear plan in mind the entire time and is progressing well, nice work!

Kinda wish the large trunk had a little more taper but it has nice movement! The nebari is looking great overall- a few big honking roots coming off it, but that is to be expected... really great flare at the base! This is a quality thread!!

Top Bottom