Uncollected Dogwood

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This Dogwood was originally planted in my yard when I first move in around July 2004. It was subsequently killed back by deer, but the lower section of trunk continued to grow. I kept thinking I might be able to salvage the tree and eventually have a Dogwood in my back yard. Every year it would develop a good flush of new growth only to be eaten or clipped back by the local wildlife. When I started getting interested in bonsai again I decided to use what I learned about pruning trees to help develop a trunk for the dogwood. On July 11, 2015 I carried my Bonsai Tools out to the yard and went to work. What I found was a very interesting tree trunk. Because I had let it grow without a form or style for so long, i had several crossing branches. but the trunk had developed some size and taper. It was necessary to clip a heavy branch from low on the trunk. This may result in a bad scar that will be difficult to heal, but I was thinking in the next couple of years I may actually dig up the dogwood and formalize it's training as a Bonsai. In the meantime I thought I thought I would try to further develop the trunk and primary branch structure.
I haven't seen much information on this forum about Dogwoods as Bonsai. Is it possible to reduce the leaf size? are there any suggestions as to what I should do from a styling perspective while it is still in the ground?

201507136916EOS 40D.JPG 201507136915EOS 40D.JPG

201507136916EOS%2040D.JPG
201507136915EOS%2040D.JPG
IMG_6915.JPG

It looks to get pretty skinny in the hole?
Ground layer?

I got one still in the ground too I'm working with. Its in dense shade. I cut it back last fall and it sprouted pretty well.
In The beginning I kept one alive inside for a while, so outside should work well!
Harry has some info on Bonsai4me.com.

Sorce

I was at a parade the other day where they kept talking about these.

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom