Twisted up a little juniper whip

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know there are threads about people doing this somewhere on here but I could not find them... so I will just make my own. Took this cutting last year seems like the good time of year to bend them hard, so I went for it (though Soring summer or Fall is no different in my experience... as long as you don't break them the ones I twisted mid growing season were fine!)
Pre bend:
IMG_0002.JPG

After getting squished:
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
Happy Turkey day everyone!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hella' twisted, but what happened to your camera?!?!:confused:

Some serious, sweet, sick bending!!:cool:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just used my phone... didn't feel like getting the camera out.
Got a new iPhone 7, I was hoping it would take better pics but they are underwhelming. I think it would look better if the back light in my set up was off

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What did you wrap it with? Looks a bit off from raffia. Gotta love those wicked twists.
It is a cheap "grafting tape" I bought from Stobe lantern... when I got it I realized it is not exactly grafting tape at all, just non-stick clear plastic stretchy ribbon basically. Worthless for most anything except using like rafia!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is a cheap "grafting tape" I bought from Stobe lantern... when I got it I realized it is not exactly grafting tape at all, just non-stick clear plastic stretchy ribbon basically. Worthless for most anything except using like rafia!
Is it parafilm/wax tape like what is used to wrap scions for grafting? @Brian Van Fleet shows the process on his blog.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is it parafilm/wax tape like what is used to wrap scions for grafting? @Brian Van Fleet shows the process on his blog.
I wish it was... it is much thicker than that and doesn't stick to itself which means I have to tie it off instead of just wrapping it, and it is way too thick for a bud to push through it the way they can with parafilm.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
And another garden walk update- here this is the update for this ole Juniper.. Getting a little chunky! Needs to be repotted…

Attachments

• 7FD8A297-5F82-4948-8C2B-7BD1434A8A33.jpeg
    7FD8A297-5F82-4948-8C2B-7BD1434A8A33.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 47
  • FC0EF2F5-61E4-4FDD-AFD6-521B228FA97C.jpeg
    FC0EF2F5-61E4-4FDD-AFD6-521B228FA97C.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 47
  • E42C3EA5-B497-408C-AC02-0E71A8758C62.jpeg
    E42C3EA5-B497-408C-AC02-0E71A8758C62.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 43

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I wish it was... it is much thicker than that and doesn't stick to itself which means I have to tie it off instead of just wrapping it, and it is way too thick for a bud to push through it the way they can with parafilm.
Sounds like traditional grafting/budding tape. That's what we have used for many years. The end is simply taken under the last turn and pulled tight to secure it. For most grafts buds are not expected to push through. When used for budding the tape is wrapped to leave a space for the bud to grow. This type of grafting tape is usually sliced off after the graft is healed. The strength and elasticity comes in handy when making cleft grafts as the tape can push the sides together to make better contact. Parafilm can't do that as far as I'm aware.
Parafilm is a relatively recent product. I am old school and have not really learned how to use it properly for grafting yet.

The juniper is doing well. How much thicker? Some of mine with tight trunk bends have now merged into a solid mass as the trunks grew thicker than the curves and curves merged into a solid lump of tunk.
Introducing some thin shari now can help. Widening the shari each year or 2 gives great texture to the dead wood as new layers are added each year.

I also note the short straight section close to the ground. My early attempts also had this as it is hard to bend the trunk so close to the soil. More recently I wire the juniper whips when bare root so wire an bends can start right from root level.
If the straight section becomes a problem simply raise the soil level. Shimpaku juniper produces roots real easy and will root from the trunk if it is covered with soil so no need to go to the bother of layering.

Top Bottom