Trunk bending and repotting in one season, is it safe?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is the Chinese juniper "blue alps". It has not been repotted by its previous owner for about 4 years.
This season I decided to replant it (since the soil contains quite a lot of organic matter) and change the style by bending the trunk a little more downward in this area using guy wires, thick wire and raffia.
This is an important area, as it connects all the needle mass to the main trunk. Will this be a lot of stress and maybe I should split this operations for spring and fall? If so, what is the best thing to do now?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool movement in this juniper. If it were me I would repot in spring and save the bending for later. But I’m timid and tend to stick to “one insult per year.”

Additionally, in spring the bark is very loose and sloughs off easily. (Is it spring for you? Fill out your location for better feedback)
Others with more experience might make it work with raffia or coban, but I have scarred up a few junipers by trying to do big bends in the spring.

Good luck!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would recommend splitting the tasks, repot first, gauge the recovery and then any heavy bending or wiring after recovery.
Suggest a good time for the heavy bending and wiring about this time next year if the recovery is positive.
Times adjust for climate/location. The general guide for heavy bending/heavy wiring on juniper is February/march/April in milder climates like Japan. For colder climates move forward a bit. In a 5a zone I would suggest likely late March to mid May might be more appropriate. Timing is best obtained from experienced people in your own area.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yep I just mean when sap flow is high it’s easier to damage the bark. Late winter/early spring or late fall / early winter are great times for bending. Either way use raffia or coban with those big bends 👍

Top Bottom