Too late to prune / repot nursery stock ?

Horsefeathers

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I picked up some nursery stock to get started.on some trees, but was wondering if it was too late to get started on them? I'm in zone 6b.

I've got a Black Pissy Willow, 2 Juniper, a Dwarf Alberta Spruce, and a Hydrangea paniculata.

Since the Willow and Hydrangea are both pushing buds I wasn't sure if I should leave them alone or if it was okay to get them into a pot / pond basket.

I have as going to do the same with the conifers, but I know not to bare root those at least...

1000011513.jpg1000011514.jpg

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's hard to tell without a closer look at the buds.

This recent Michael Hagedorn article is helpful for having pictures of but the help show that is right, and what is to late.

Horsefeathers

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here are some closer pictures, and thank you for the article!

1000011535.jpg1000011536.jpg1000011537.jpg1000011538.jpg

Russ1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the Spruce and Pussy Willow are too far along too do any serious root work. Pruning you can most likely do.
Normally if they were used to your climate you could do it. I just re-potted an old Spruce a few days ago but the buds were just starting to swell.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I picked up some nursery stock to get started.on some trees, but was wondering if it was too late to get started on them? I'm in zone 6b.

I've got a Black Pissy Willow, 2 Juniper, a Dwarf Alberta Spruce, and a Hydrangea paniculata.

Since the Willow and Hydrangea are both pushing buds I wasn't sure if I should leave them alone or if it was okay to get them into a pot / pond basket.

I have as going to do the same with the conifers, but I know not to bare root those at least...

View attachment 539685View attachment 539687
Man when you go out to get started, you flat get with it! Take it easy or your place will look like mine.

Horsefeathers

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the Spruce and Pussy Willow are too far along too do any serious root work. Pruning you can most likely do.
Normally if they were used to your climate you could do it. I just re-potted an old Spruce a few days ago but the buds were just starting to swell.
10-4. Just want to avoid killing them so I've got no issues leaving them in their nursery pots for the time being.

Mad Tabby

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
10-4. Just want to avoid killing them so I've got no issues leaving them in their nursery pots for the time being.
Can pussy willows be killed? I leaned against one once while out hiking to adjust the tongue in my shoe and the tree fell over. It was completely rotted inside, but it was still growing leaves and the pussys.

Some trees don’t seem to know when to stop.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Honestly, it really depends on the health of the tree, species, how much root work you do, and especially the aftercare that you can give them. However, since you’re new to BNut, I’m guessing you are probably also new to caring for bonsai, so you’ll have more success initially by erring on the conservative side regarding what you do and when. I see no reason not to proceed with repotting the junipers. You may want to wait on the others.

BlakeHo

Seed
Reaction score
Is it just the safer bet to either repot or prune/style this year and just wait until next year to do what i didnt do this year?

Last edited:

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Some species seem bulletproof. Juniper are staple in bonsai not only because of appearance, but because they are very forgiving. You can do Juniper roots until late summer. Salix is like a weed. You can take crazy sized cuttings of weeping willow. Probably any willow.
Prune? Honestly, why would you prune? Bonsai is a grow up, chop down process. I wouldn't touch a thing or perhaps up pot until root pruning next spring.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would say it all depends on the reduction in root mass. For the junipers, I would still feel ok to repot them if the roots were not reduced too significantly.

But these are coming from nursery cans so the reduction is likely to be larger.

Horsefeathers

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I did some work on a few of the trees for the sale of posterity...

I repotted both Junipers, styling one and just leaving the other alone.

Did what basically amounted to a slip pot on the dwarf Albert Spruce (should have just kept it in the same pot probably, but now it's in a pond basket), however about half of the soil in the pot dropped when I pulled it out so the roots weren't particularly deep...

Just sort of went with the flow when styling. Eventually, I want to Jin the branch on the trunk on the right after the split (not sure when to do this so I just left it alone for now). Also, got a little lost at the top so I just erred on the side of leaving it alone for now. I wedged a rock between the trunks to separate them a bit; anything wrong with that?

Any thoughts or advice (beyond not repotting & styling at the same time, 😬) would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20240413_231813601.jpg
    PXL_20240413_231813601.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240413_225244765.jpg
    PXL_20240413_225244765.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 15

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I did some work on a few of the trees for the sale of posterity...

I repotted both Junipers, styling one and just leaving the other alone.

Did what basically amounted to a slip pot on the dwarf Albert Spruce (should have just kept it in the same pot probably, but now it's in a pond basket), however about half of the soil in the pot dropped when I pulled it out so the roots weren't particularly deep...

Just sort of went with the flow when styling. Eventually, I want to Jin the branch on the trunk on the right after the split (not sure when to do this so I just left it alone for now). Also, got a little lost at the top so I just erred on the side of leaving it alone for now. I wedged a rock between the trunks to separate them a bit; anything wrong with that?

Any thoughts or advice (beyond not repotting & styling at the same time, 😬) would be appreciated.
I have also had half empty pots from dwarf species. They grow very slowly so their roots don’t fill the pot. Keep that in mind when you prune them, since it will take forever to regrow what you remove. Dwarf species are less popular because of that but they are still great. I personally would wait a few years to do jihns just to thicken them since when you remove the bark it will be even smaller and obviously it will never grow any bigger once it’s dead.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
IMG_4817.jpegI picked up some nursery stock to get started.on some trees, but was wondering if it was too late to get started on them? I'm in zone 6b.

View attachment 539685View attachment 539687
If unsure, let the DAS flush out the growth over the growing season this year and study it as those fleshy tips darken a little and harden off. In Fall/Winter you can prune. Repot the following Fall or Winter. Allowing them to flush out and harden off and then doing work later will guarantee no poor health as resulting from an action taken in uncertainty.

I’m currently letting my spruces (Alberta, Norway, Birds nest) grow for a year after having done respective prunes, repots, and initial stylings. Balance water and oxygen and fertilizer. Do more watching and studying and learning those new flushes of growth rather than touching them. 😎 🌲

Top Bottom