Tigerbark ficus ( progress thread )

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Well grabbed the courage to propagate my ginseng ficus. I see such a nice future bonsai in this. I put it in a 40 percent organic and 60 percent bonsai mix. Rocks on top are just to hold it in place better. I did about a 50 to 60 percent defoliation. Everything I read says if it has no roots it shouldn't have many leafs . I did a good feeding to it a couple days before I cut it so it would have some nutrients.

Attachments

• 20190526_121959.jpg
    20190526_121959.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190526_122009.jpg
    20190526_122009.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190526_122257.jpg
    20190526_122257.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190526_122241.jpg
    20190526_122241.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190526_122020.jpg
    20190526_122020.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 61
I dont think this is a tigerbark ficus..! Maybe some other species...! The leafs dont either look like retusa, to me...! Maybe ficus compacta?

Lets hear other peoples evaluation!

Good luck!

I dont think this is a tigerbark ficus..! Maybe some other species...! The leafs dont either look like retusa, to me...! Maybe ficus compacta?

Good luck!
So many people say its tiger bark I have always said retusa myself..lol i will change the title if i can thanks

The "ginseng" rootbase is definately Ficus retusa, the grafted part i dont know for sure!

The "ginseng" rootbase is definately Ficus retusa, the grafted part i dont know for sure!
yeah the grafted part is what i propagated. wither way guess we will see how it turns out lol
i am gonna keep the lower portion and see what i can do with it

Good luck!

Other nurseries and myself call the top part Ficus retusa “green gem” but I cannot find any good literature to support that.

The correct name is Ficus microcarpa. It used to be called Ficus retusa, but the taxonomists changed it. A "ginseng" ficus like yours has roots of a large variety of F. microcarpa with the foliage of a dwarf cultivar of the same species grafted on top. Common cultivars used for this are 'Green Island' and 'Green Gem'. I don't know if tiger bark is a different common name for the species or a distinct variety.

The foliage on the cuttings you started looks like 'Green Island' or 'Green Gem'. But at least some of the foliage left on the original tree looks like normal F. microcarpa. Notice how the leaves on the lowest branch are pointed at both ends instead of rounded? Grafted trees often sprout shoots from below the graft, and these will have the foliage of the root stock.

In any event, the original tree and the cuttings are the same species and are cared for in the same way. This species is easy to grow and develops quickly, so yes it is good material to work with. Most bonsai people find the extremely enlarged roots (the "ginseng" part) unattractive and either just keep the top, or find some way to conceal the big roots. But this is your tree and if you like them, keep them. Because you started cuttings from the top, these will not have the very enlarged roots and can be trained into more typical bonsai.

You have lots of fun options!

The correct name is Ficus microcarpa. It used to be called Ficus retusa, but the taxonomists changed it. A "ginseng" ficus like yours has roots of a large variety of F. microcarpa with the foliage of a dwarf cultivar of the same species grafted on top. Common cultivars used for this are 'Green Island' and 'Green Gem'. I don't know if tiger bark is a different common name for the species or a distinct variety.

The foliage on the cuttings you started looks like 'Green Island' or 'Green Gem'. But at least some of the foliage left on the original tree looks like normal F. microcarpa. Notice how the leaves on the lowest branch are pointed at both ends instead of rounded? Grafted trees often sprout shoots from below the graft, and these will have the foliage of the root stock.

In any event, the original tree and the cuttings are the same species and are cared for in the same way. This species is easy to grow and develops quickly, so yes it is good material to work with. Most bonsai people find the extremely enlarged roots (the "ginseng" part) unattractive and either just keep the top, or find some way to conceal the big roots. But this is your tree and if you like them, keep them. Because you started cuttings from the top, these will not have the very enlarged roots and can be trained into more typical bonsai.

You have lots of fun options!
Thank you, I watched a video on how they force the roots to fatten and engorged. Yeah I seen that it's a different type and I'm going to grow that out and propagate it as well try a nice informal upright. I really appreciate your input and 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom