Thread Progression: California Juniper no.1

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
(As requested, here’s the progression thread on this particular tree)

This California Juniper is a tree that experienced much of the early history of American Bonsai in California. In 1986, Mr. Robert Pressler of Kimura Nursery was invited to an outing with American Bonsai’s original greats; Mr. Harry Hirao, Mr. John Naka and Mr. Bruce Hisyasu. The location of the outing was the Tehachapi Mountains, the very site that most of the early California Junipers were collected from.

After a few hours of venturing, Mr. Robert Pressler located a unique tree that had a flat wing like structure and decided to dig it up. Two hours into the dig, Mr. Harry Hirao came by and advised Mr. Robert Pressler that the tree was not a good candidate for collection ( @bonsaibp can perhaps confirm the exact reasons given). However, having committed to the dig thus far, Mr. Robert Pressler decided to continue with the collection.

For two years after collection, the tree continued to lose its foliage, casting doubt on whether the decision to collect it was right, and if Mr. Harry Hirao was right after all. However, in its third year the tree started to grow new shoots. Mr. Robert Pressler left it to grow freely for 2 years before placing it in its first Bonsai container. Two years after the initial repot, the tree received its first initial styling. In total, the tree took 6 years from collection to see its initial Bonsai form. 6 years ago, it was repotted into the current tokoname pot and in 2022, it was transferred into my care and made its journey from California to Wisconsin in the back of a truck, delivered by Mr. Robert Pressler himself.

Since arrival, other than cleaning the deadwood, the tree has been allowed to recover from its transplant and experience its first Wisconsin winter(protected). Being a tree with such provenance, I decided to request the help of Ryan Neil of Bonsai Mirai to reset its initial structure and assist me in progressing the tree from here on out. I had a few ideas on where I wanted the design to go(the height needed to be reduced, the amount of lean to extend the defining branch, etc.). Ryan, being the perpetual teacher and impeccable professional, took what this amateur had to say and built upon the concept, further elevating the final design. There were concessions that had to be made as resetting the structure requires the apex to mature further before catching up to the rest of the tree, as well as giving it time to recover before further compressing the left side. Due to the new angle, I also created a well along the right side of the pot to assist in more even water percolation and anchored down mesh to minimize soil run off with the daily watering.

Wisconsin has had a somewhat weird Spring so I’ve had to adapt the placement of the tree while it is recovering. 2 months post styling however, the tree looks to be doing well!

B2CD9F97-0106-4AEF-B6E6-805A1380B62F.jpeg
9DE5844D-3796-400E-A823-BB5307B34631.jpeg2363D309-D0E0-4180-938A-F82E0637822D.jpeg4DEFBCAD-233C-410E-A510-0FC38DC6587D.jpeg2E1A11C7-3711-4227-9288-E4EC37828C44.jpegB3327846-B141-4E5D-BC76-F8DB2822F9D0.jpeg2F3B084D-18F1-4AEB-87B8-89CD2ECE767E.jpeg5A40D790-27B0-4FE6-AAE7-2F19873DA9E5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom