Thoughts on newly discovered bonsai channel

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the channel. I enjoyed watching their video on field grown plum and maple.

I quite like

and
Its pretty interesting that those maples and everything else is being hard chopped and root pruned while dormant...with absolutely no fecks given:D
It looks like this is being done at bud swell actually. top n bottom in one go. I do it too

Last edited:

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Its pretty interesting that those maples and everything else is being hard chopped and root pruned while dormant...with absolutely no fecks given:D
It looks like this is being done at bud swell actually. top n bottom in one go. I do it too
Way braver than me. I usually leave at least 2-3 roots.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
He's pretty hardcore for real, has probably done this 100s of times, seems to work for him. he's found the correct timing and threshold for his climate to develop these trees.
For sure. Also, notice that the trees he's root pruning here have lots of feeder roots close to the trunks. You can't get away with this severe root pruning without them. He has no worries cutting back those larger roots hard because he's got lots of those fine ones right there at the base. In addition to this drastic root pruning he's also cutting back the canopy to virtually nothing. This makes it so the roots have little to feed and you won't have any die back following such a drastic root pruning.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
In Japan they like to use the minimun possible pot size for smaller trees, bonsaiq is pretty goo channel they work with several profesional growers in different parts of the bonsai production, field growing and more refine stuff

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
14 min into this video on maples, the text reads: 'bonsai growers repot trees all year around. The problem is whether there is an environment which it is possible.' makes perfect sense to me, I can relate. but you only learn stuff like this by experimentation. and observing...

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Japan they like to use the minimun possible pot size for smaller trees, bonsaiq is pretty goo channel they work with several profesional growers in different parts of the bonsai production, field growing and more refine stuff
yeah the old lady seems cool and all, but some vids are like: "today i'm gonna make a tree from a decent pot to be potbound"

James89

Seedling
Reaction score
it looks a bit extreme to me, which is why I found the video so interesting. it obviously works for him in his environment, but I will keep playing it safe with my material until I have enough to experiment with.

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
I discovered this channel earlier in the week, normally kisetsu-en is my go to guy for shohin, this old lady stretches the limits of mame
I've not seen the technique she uses for wiring the trees into the pot before. Anyone here using it on larger trees?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I've not seen the technique she uses for wiring the trees into the pot before. Anyone here using it on larger trees?
Dont makes much sense use that with bigger tres, you usually have more room to work with a bigger or two draining holes or the small holes for the wire

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Bonsai Q is probably my favorite channel. The subtitles often leave some to be desired but the filming is thorough enough to get the gist. The ragtime playing as background always gives me a giggle as well.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
14 min into this video on maples, the text reads: 'bonsai growers repot trees all year around. The problem is whether there is an environment which it is possible.' makes perfect sense to me, I can relate. but you only learn stuff like this by experimentation. and observing...
I do all of my repotting in October/November, because it's the only time that I'm able to do it. I try not to divulge this too often as it seems to cause nothing but arguments for whatever reason. I must admit, even after 7 years of doing it, I'm still nervous when temps drop below freezing for a couple weeks and all of my freshly repotted trees are frozen solid.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bonsai Q is great, they have been doing a run from Omiya bonsai village that has a lot of great information.

Top Bottom