The Literati/Bunjin Thread

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Bunjin hawthorn.
I've had it as "a stick in a pot" for about 25 years. A real problem child and then Sergio Cuan suggested a bunjin style back in March.
I need to take another photo now in leaf, but we're in the middle of a thunderstorm now!

Attachments

• 20230318_135708.jpg
    20230318_135708.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 127

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Bunjin hawthorn.
I've had it as "a stick in a pot" for about 25 years. A real problem child and then Sergio Cuan suggested a bunjin style back in March.
I need to take another photo now in leaf, but we're in the middle of a thunderstorm now!

Attachments

• 20230815_192659.jpg
    20230815_192659.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The beginnings of a Sabina Juniper literati; raw material from the Spanish mountains, imported by Beechfield Bonsai in the UK. No thoughts on styling yet.

The rocks are not long-term, just there to keep a bit of rain off in this incredibly wet UK summer we're having and to keep the soil/tree/pot a little bit more stable.
IMG_9744.jpeg

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A recently acquired clearance Juniper (blue rug) that I set up for a literati design. Really hard to avoid the S curve. Also I am not proud of the wire work. The tree and I had to come to a compromise. I needed it to move and we didn't want anything to break, heh. PSX_20230910_130305.jpg

This is a two year old Corkscrew Willow cutting.

PSX_20230910_130446.jpg

They both have a long way to go but I like them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wish we could have taken photos at Nationals…. There was a juniper as one of the end caps that really hit for me this year. Would have liked to be able to see it from different angles. It was in a longer/skinnier rectangle that gave it a great feeling of space.

If anyone knows what I’m talking about, hah

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wish we could have taken photos at Nationals…. There was a juniper as one of the end caps that really hit for me this year. Would have liked to be able to see it from different angles. It was in a longer/skinnier rectangle that gave it a great feeling of space.

Yes one of my favorites too.. it was a foemena needle juniper by Jack Sustic.. I love the pot too…he is the former curator of the US National Museum . Similar to what I wanna do for a tree of mine..

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I remember the one. Very understated tree and I really liked it. Shogun and I looked at that one together.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes one of my favorites too.. it was a foemena needle juniper by Jack Sustic.. I love the pot too…he is the former curator of the US National Museum . Similar to what I wanna do for a tree of mine..

I have a similar-ish Yamaaki…. Now I just need the tree!

IMG_3033.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wish we woulda bumped into each other! Not sure if you saw me roaming or not.
I don’t really know what most folks look like! I was kinda in my own world this time too…. One thing about no photos is it REALLY makes you look and try to burn things into your mind.

It’ll happen, I’ll definitely be going back photos or no, and I suspect I’ll do west coast too if you go to that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

This one?

The negative space is really enhance by the pot
Boone posted all of the photos on his Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/685141798229107?sorting_setting=CHRONOLOGICAL

1694618832537.png

Relic37

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hated to throw out an old bougainvillea before freezing weather hit, so I cut off everything except the terminal growth, hoping to eventually work it into something of interest. I plan to let a bud or two further back down the trunk develop next year and maybe put a twist and turn into the end, as well.Boug.jpeg

pictorangelicvs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This one?

The negative space is really enhance by the pot
Boone posted all of the photos on his Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/685141798229107?sorting_setting=CHRONOLOGICAL

View attachment 508443
by the gods this tree is formidable, both natural, elegant, and yet rakishly modern too; I love the allusions to and yet subtle transformations away from large traditional Japanese foliage pads and the snaggletooth whale bone wyvern trunk line --I can only imagine it's presence in person. delighted to see the many literati in this thread as well. I have about 10 little black pine beginnings coming in from mr. cmeg and I am determined to use at least half of them to try and train some literati. It is such a lovely style--I've also always loved too that the word speaks of both a style and those who lived it and I think we have so much to learn still in art and as people from the literati ways. An area of art history and of history first either not studied enough these days or where true scholarship and discovery has been completely fogged over by cultural cliches, prevailing fads and a supposed lack of contemporary relevance. Sometimes I wince when one can hear in presentations or read in books or on the internet an over-easy dismissal of classical bonsai as a rigid set of Japanese conventions. It is also evidence of the power and complexity and beauty that can be enjoyed universally by a very unique historical form of art that continues to live and breathe and grow within the modern world. If anything we should try and imitate it even more aggressively and in our failure find out what makes us special and unique through the lens of trees. If I remember correctly penjing and bonsai emerge from the rarified courts of the tang and heian periods or else within the pre-industrial and yet uncannily modern and cosmopolitan city districts for wealthy merchants and administrators in the song dynasty and within the floating world of the edo shogunate; places in time where the ideal existed (rarely fulfilled but that it was an ideal and they strove for it enough) that life should be lived or cultivated itself with similar aesthetic and spiritual rigors as those found in many art forms. Bonsai trees are a perfect distillation of this spirit back into an aesthetic object for appreciation and I am very interested in how bonsai might develop in the west into a wider culture and how the sort of poetic affection we feel for these things we grow in pots will develop as here we started in reverse with the trees first; before we had scrolls or stones or folding screens and beautiful wooden stands. Please forgive the coiled and confused-dragon-path of my literati ramblings.

Top Bottom