The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We've owned our home for two and a half years now, and when I first started pruning up the overgrown Juniperus chinensis in the front yard I found one branch had rooted itself in the ground. I cut it from the main tree early last year and it responded by putting out a ton of new growth. My plan was to slowly push the growth back on the long trunk and dig it up in a few years but my girlfriend complained about the ugly stick in the front yard so we agreed I'd dig it up this spring.

Well then I had emergency surgery so I'd have to wait another year to dig it up. My girlfriend found that unacceptable and said she'd do the digging and lifting if it ment getting the ugly stick out of the front yard. She put on her Conservation Corps work pants which always means some shit is about to get done around the house.

1000011032.jpg
Welcome to the ugliest part of the yard, the front! Our side yard has a lot of really nice flowers and landscaping.

She got a really nice rootball for her first yamadori.
1000011035.jpg

She carried it around to the back bench and I prepped the box. She did all the lifting. I need to take her with on all my yamadori digs.
20240421_104615.jpg

20240421_112558.jpg
Glad I had an Anderson flat laying around. At 5 ft long it's now my largest piece of material if I can keep it healthy. I can't believe it took me nine years to learn this lifehack of just having my girlfriend dig my bonsai material.
20240421_123001.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We've owned our home for two and a half years now, and when I first started pruning up the overgrown Juniperus chinensis in the front yard I found one branch had rooted itself in the ground. I cut it from the main tree early last year and it responded by putting out a ton of new growth. My plan was to slowly push the growth back on the long trunk and dig it up in a few years but my girlfriend complained about the ugly stick in the front yard so we agreed I'd dig it up this spring.

Well then I had emergency surgery so I'd have to wait another year to dig it up. My girlfriend found that unacceptable and said she'd do the digging and lifting if it ment getting the ugly stick out of the front yard. She put on her Conservation Corps work pants which always means some shit is about to get done around the house.

View attachment 542447
Welcome to the ugliest part of the yard, the front! Our side yard has a lot of really nice flowers and landscaping.

View attachment 542443

She carried it around to the back bench and I prepped the box. She did all the lifting. I need to take her with on all my yamadori digs.
View attachment 542444

View attachment 542445
Glad I had an Anderson flat laying around. At 5 ft long it's now my largest piece of material if I can keep it healthy. I can't believe it took me nine years to learn this lifehack of just having my girlfriend dig my bonsai material.
View attachment 542446
Hurricane swept style? 🤔

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 542447

View attachment 542443

View attachment 542444

View attachment 542445
View attachment 542446
Why can't I find someone that unafraid of work?
She's a keeper.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected 15 mostly engelmann spruce and some lodgepole last Fall. 90% successful rate with 1 tree died because it didn't have a lot of roots.View attachment 542533View attachment 542534View attachment 542535
Congrats that’s a great success rate . Up here zone 4 it’s risky to collect in the fall . Without protection like a green house . I may try again with a bottom heat set up . But need something a little more robust than heat mat .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I’m still curious what juniper it is . You have a valid point . But I only collect common juniper . And normally they only turn dead brown after collecting 😂😂😂😂. Most Dicid trees up here pretty much stay the same . You may alter colour slightly . But barely so . Same as fall colour some say it will change with conditions . But I have never experienced that .
I’m not totally sure it seems Like we often get hybridization between Sierra and Western Juniper… Or maybe it’s just western.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Getting amped about my first trip out this season… photo from last year.

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom