Tampa, Trades, Looking for medium-->large trunked *stock* of: podocarpus, olive, conifers-besides-BC's, and conocarpus/buttonwoods (esp Silver's!)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi guys&gals of BN!!!!

I've got like ~150 trees so little point to trying to show what I've got for trade instead I figure you can just mention what you may like and I'll post plenty of pics (there's also a link in my sig to some galleries of mine but Imgur changed their layout so it's difficult to make sense of it now...I've got *many* specimen with nearly 1' wide or larger trunks, many 2-3yr trained bougies&crapes (and in FL, using W.Pall's fert schedule w/ frequent irrigation, may as well be 4-6yrs 'regular growth' lol)

I'm best-stocked with: bougies, ficus micro's&benji's, crape myrtles and BC's. Then Jades, maples, hibiscus, grape vine.....then schefflera's and...well I've got a lot of varieties lol but the ones listed represent where my bests are! None are "finished bonsai", they range from newer stock (this year's BC & Maple collections, just 1/2yr old but vigorous-as-anything!) to 2-3.5yr developed bougies & crape myrtles (things I collected with >1' wide trunks, many of these are currently in in-ground grow-beds for girthening primaries but I can have anything in a container & stabiliized within a week, tropicals like these (and BC's) are incredibly resilient to such things!)

The list of what I'm looking for isn't exhaustive by any means, basically anything I can grow that I don't have I'd be interested in, just has to be a worthwhile trunk to start from and, ideally, not tooo far along its development path as I like to choose 'direction' for my stuff!

Thanks for reading & hope you guys' gardens are bumping along like here in FL ;D

Hi guys&gals of BN!!!!

I've got like ~150 trees so little point to trying to show what I've got for trade instead I figure you can just mention what you may like and I'll post plenty of pics (there's also a link in my sig to some galleries of mine but Imgur changed their layout so it's difficult to make sense of it now...I've got *many* specimen with nearly 1' wide or larger trunks, many 2-3yr trained bougies&crapes (and in FL, using W.Pall's fert schedule w/ frequent irrigation, may as well be 4-6yrs 'regular growth' lol)

I'm best-stocked with: bougies, ficus micro's&benji's, crape myrtles and BC's. Then Jades, maples, hibiscus, grape vine.....then schefflera's and...well I've got a lot of varieties lol but the ones listed represent where my bests are! None are "finished bonsai", they range from newer stock (this year's BC & Maple collections, just 1/2yr old but vigorous-as-anything!) to 2-3.5yr developed bougies & crape myrtles (things I collected with >1' wide trunks, many of these are currently in in-ground grow-beds for girthening primaries but I can have anything in a container & stabiliized within a week, tropicals like these (and BC's) are incredibly resilient to such things!)

The list of what I'm looking for isn't exhaustive by any means, basically anything I can grow that I don't have I'd be interested in, just has to be a worthwhile trunk to start from and, ideally, not tooo far along its development path as I like to choose 'direction' for my stuff!

Thanks for reading & hope you guys' gardens are bumping along like here in FL ;D

Hey man I own and develop all of what you are looking for and am familiar with the cost of it, but the thing is you are asking for all the things highly desired in Fl for bonsai. I mean a medium buttonwood is $300-$800. Small black pines are in the same range. And the stuff you're offering is very common material and not that great (unfortunately I didn't see anything on any of your albums that was very exciting or isn't easily obtainable). The guys that collect and develop this stuff for sale in Fl know they can get good money for it and usually aren't interested in trades as they know they can call guys like me and sell it quick. You are gonna have to get out there and hunt some out of the way nurseries or find a few landscape pieces to collect. Buttonwood is now illegal to collect so its not cheap. And large olives all have a high value. I'm not sure what you consider your 4 or 5 best pieces, but if they are actually decent and are worth something then sell them and use the funds for material you want.

Last edited:
Hey man I own and develop all of what you are looking for and am familiar with the cost of it, but the thing is you are asking for all the things highly desired in Fl for bonsai. I mean a medium buttonwood is $300-$800. Small black pines are in the same range. And the stuff you're offering is very common material and not that great (unfortunately I didn't see anything on any of your albums that was very exciting or isn't easily obtainable). The guys that collect and develop this stuff for sale in Fl know they can get good money for it and usually aren't interested in trades as they know they can call guys like me and sell it quick. You are gonna have to get out there and hunt some out of the way nurseries or find a few landscape pieces to collect. Buttonwood is now illegal to collect so its not cheap. And large olives all have a high value. I'm not sure what you consider your 4 or 5 best pieces, but if they are actually decent and are worth something then sell them and use the funds for material you want.
I guess I was hoping to find someone with, say, a fat buttonwood they'd collected this year that they'd trade for, say, a 2yrs-developed BC that was twice the buttonwood's girth....have to imagine I'd be the one taking a loss in such a situation, unless buttonwood are considered much harder the BC's? I've been unable to find buttonwoods sadly (I know wild ones are protected but I have so many clients who have water-front properties that I was expecting to get situations wherein I'd do a project that'd require clearing an area with some of them but sadly never happened) I know bougies are a dime-a-dozen but so are podo's (my most-sought of the list, that was a order-of-importance to me!), well maybe not as plentiful but close-to, so I guess I kinda thought it was beyond a given that a 3.5yrs-developed, 1' wide bougie would be > a 2", 6mo-since-collection podo - if I'm wrong on that I'd love to know why as I can't wrap my head around it being off-base!
(also I've gotta get better pics up, just looking at that album has me cringing when thinking I'd had it as a for-sale 'catalogue' because in the end those pics aren't taken for that reason so the pics are messy / the trees are in all stages of development etc, still though I figure that the value of a tree comes from two prime things IE the stock-quality (specie&girth) and the current-state-of-development of the specific piece, so I figured that while I've got nothing special in the former category, I could make-up for it by having a far more developed, 5x larger, specimen of bougie/crape/ficus/bc/etc, to trade for someone's table-top 1.5" (insert species here, really), heck I've seen 1.5" Pines for <$200 and never once seen bougie stock of any respectable thickness going for less than that (same for bald cypresses actually, I mean I'd imagine 300 is an upper-limit for *any* podo that's <2" trunked and ~1yr developed, so when I thought "well I've got (2) giant BC's that've gotten a ton of proper development for 2yrs - very high-speed so probably 3yrs for most others lol - surely someone's got species besides the ~4 species I'm drowning in who'd like a large specimen" Guess the lack of replies says otherwise although again I never should've done this w/o a proper "salesman album" because I've noticed an absurd tendency amongst enthusiasts to "get distracted" by what's around the tree / its presentation and not be able to see the tree itself for what it is (this was crystalized like 3/4yr ago when I got almost no likes on a specimen that'd been significantly more developed since its last showing but it had that presentation-variable, the first time I'd shown it I made damn-sure it was the ideal time for the specimen(looking its best), used a backdrop, if it wasn't in a nice container I cropped it out, etc, I don't know how prone I am to the same subconscious reaction but now that I'm thinking about it I'd imagine that for most people the second they see I utilize styrofoam coolers or zip ties they're almost unable to truly evaluate the specimen themselves!)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of getting more landscape specimen, am glad I saw @M. Frary liking it because it reminded me (cannot believe it ever left my mind!) that my new career path (climbing arborist) should put me in WAY more opportune situations for getting great yamma/yarda stocks (haven't been active online re bonsai because learning all the in's&out's of climbing&cutting in such a short period of time (6mo maybe, though I wasn't going into it an amateur either) really took all the time I had, all non-essential bonsai work, research & discussion was put-aside for learning ropes, dynamic weights, and chainsaw-engineering)

well I offered to send you some Yellow pine seedlings for free and wouldn't take me up on it.
Your phrasing makes me fear you took my refusal the wrong way so want to be clear that not only was I incredibly appreciative of the offer but it had me think "you live in the same circumstances, just go start collecting *your own* seedlings" lol!!! If it weren't for your offer & the thinking it got me doing I wouldn't have messed w/ seedlings so again thank you, I have at least 20 new lil trees now (out of nearly 50 if I had to guess!), most are Oak but a good handful of pines too, the pines had a lower success-rate maybe 50-70% and the Oaks were more like 65-75% survival, took these pics in the past week when I noticed your reply here but they're going strong (meant to post pics & thank you LONG ago but the life-hangup I mention in last-paragraph of prior post has taken every.last.bit of extra time from me, if I'm not working/sleeping/etc then I'm climbing to test out new gear or working on my chainsaws or just watching youtubes on felling trees, the past 6mo almost felt like a mini-university LOL like I'd taken a course or something!! Couldn't be happier though in fact can't remember the last time I was so pumped on life as I've been this past quarter as I actually went from learning my ropes to using them with regularity!!)

20190816_133855.jpg 20190816_133910.jpg 20190816_133917.jpg 20190816_133919.jpg

Again thanks for the inspiration on this I'd never have gone for it had you not given me the impetus, I know these Oaks are unlikely to become anything neat while I'm around to see it but I figure that the over-abundance of quercus virginiana in the area, juxtaposed to their scant appearances in modern bonsai, makes me think that I'm happy just introducing (25?) new specimen 'to the community' as I expect many will be give-aways :)

I guess I was hoping to find someone with, say, a fat buttonwood they'd collected this year that they'd trade for, say, a 2yrs-developed BC that was twice the buttonwood's girth....have to imagine I'd be the one taking a loss in such a situation, unless buttonwood are considered much harder the BC's?

So first off you can't collect Buttonwood, technically even on your own property if its on the water. So there really aren't any 'fat buttonwoods collected this year'. Second a Buttonwood with a 3" base is worth more than a BC that's a foot wide at the base. Why? Because I can go out and collect as many BC with flared bases as I want. The rarity level of nice Buttonwood is not comparable to the BC you have. So for anyone to even consider letting a Buttonwood go in a trade you would need something pretty impressive. I have BC with trunks 18" wide that I paid $100 for. I've also got a 3" wide Buttonwood I got from Mary at the last convention and it was $475.

For podocarpus they are super slow growing where as bougie is a weed. So again the size comparisons mean nothing. Also you can pretty much get as much bougie and large old ones as you want especially here in Florida. Landscape guys yank em out all the time. I got a couple huge stumps for a case of beer. The issue really is that the stuff you're offering - BC, bougie, crepe myrtle are all super common plants that can be found pretty much anywhere and especially Fl. You pretty much couldn't get me to trade any developed JBP of any size for BC at all because I can get more BC but not JBP. I mean how bout a crepe of this size. Look at the sweet main line and taper. This tree will be developed in less than 3 years as an amazing bonsai. I paid $400. A 2" JBP will go for this on Bonsai auctions. BC thick like these? Can get em all day...

Show me the best couple trees you are looking to trade and ill let you know if I'm interested or if I have someone who is.

Screenshot_20190819-155211.jpgScreenshot_20190819-155348.jpg

well I've got (2) giant BC's that've gotten a ton of proper development for 2yrs - very high-speed so probably 3yrs for most others lol

And lets see these 2 trees and the development.

Thanks a ton for the replies, I'd gone to the store and by the time I'd returned I had a filled page of scrawled notes to either PM you or post....I'll be honest I was thinking PM because I fear civility (my own) because I'm kinda at a loss as I think my own appraisal (objective appraisal, not "oh I'm personally fond of it!") of so many of mine was just WAY off from yours and, with you being more experienced (always assumed- you're >a decade aren't you?) then I just have to surmise that you're in the right but at the same time I struggled with a ton of "but's" that I wanted to ask you so when I went straight to my laptop and saw you'd already replied I was very psyched- thank you very, very much for spending the time here!! I think that my terrible presentation & lack-of-information on some of (what I think/thought) my best specimen is a serious culprit here, as-is the seriously-high price tag on the species of Olive and the very potential acquisition of any 'new' buttonwoods (kinda wish I'd left my title as "Podo's, ficus, any small-leafed maples, and ANY non-BC conifers" to exclude the pricier-species) So, specifically:

So first off you can't collect Buttonwood, technically even on your own property if its on the water. So there really aren't any 'fat buttonwoods collected this year'.
I'm in full-acknowledgement that in many instances a buttonwood isn't "kosher" - in fact I'd be happy to hear what your estimate on what % of bonsai-buttonwoods on-display were taken in-accordance with the law, am quite sure that you can't just grab a BC from a swamp - even if it's ready to be turned into a commercial lot over the coming 18mo - without a permit. I first thought of this when watching Levine's interview with Mary Madison because it made me think "ok, I am going to guess that the % of specimen that should, but do not, have permits-for-collection are either 99% or 100.0%", I mean this must apply to the majority of true yamadori wouldn't you imagine? I do know that people pull permits and whatnot, and more power to doing so, but for plenty of reasons from efficiency/laziness, to knowing you'd get a No to a tree that would otherwise be destroyed&mulched (literal 'saving trees' lol), well, I don't think that it's oxymoronic to say that there's instances in which one can be a moral/ethical bonsai-outlaw! If Mary's got filing cabinets with doc's for all her buttonwoods I'd certainly be taken aback, and while I won't call names because it'd be in poor taste (and mine would be among them), for all the BC collection on this site I'd bet anything that the majority are 'illegally obtained' (my understanding is that even on private-residences it's still a no-no w/o prior permission for reasons of wetlands-protection, whereas buttonwood would certainly be no-no regardless now as you say[and I don't doubt])

[not to inspire tangential subjects but it does raise interesting Q's IMO, I mean what if the area down the street from you, full of BC's & Buttonwoods, is set to be demo'd tomorrow for a new marina, and w/o hopping a fence or straying >10' from your property line, you could grab some of the specimen that, tomorrow, would be obliterated - illegal, yes, unethical.....? ]
PS- for all intents&purposes the overwhelming majority of my garden is yardadori-based, that's my bread&butter lol (and hopefully will become even moreso as I focus a higher, then full, percent of my work on trees :D )

Second a Buttonwood with a 3" base is worth more than a BC that's a foot wide at the base. Why? Because I can go out and collect as many BC with flared bases as I want. The rarity level of nice Buttonwood is not comparable to the BC you have. So for anyone to even consider letting a Buttonwood go in a trade you would need something pretty impressive. I have BC with trunks 18" wide that I paid $100 for. I've also got a 3" wide Buttonwood I got from Mary at the last convention and it was $475.

Okay, WOW this threw me for a loop!!!! I'm so thankful you've replied.....Firstly, an 18" BC for $100 sounds more like "I got a steal by paying a kid to do the work for me" less than "this is market-value that Zack would list for on his site"

That said, I've been doing this for years and my passion has only been growing steadily since I started and, wow I was anticipating embarrassment saying this via PM but in-public....Ok- I genuinely thought I was doing great, that I was totally on-track... I'm going to go take some pics now to post in a separate post below because I do hope (and kind of expect as, in looking at the album in my sig that you're probably referring to, that needs to be erased LOL) that I'm not off-base, any & everything that could help 'right my ship' would be GREATLY appreciated. The only "clearly different" thing, that some (myself at times) would call a negative, is the lack of any special/rare/etc species, heck half of my ficus are B's not M's, but so far as most of the stock I was seriously working on I thought that most of it would become at least B+ material (and at the rate I've got growing down that'll be sooner than later, this year was the first time I was intentionally restricting growth just because I couldn't keep-up and primaries were setting too-quickly in ways I couldn't allow!) Will post pics of some examples, soon as I submit this I'll take pics to get that post up in-hopes you (+/- others, in good faith please as this is essentially "have I been devoting so much of myself, for so long, in the wrong way?" kinda scenario..) can tell me if I am in-fact on-track, or if I'm off-base in significant ways and, if so, any&all suggestions on how to get on-track would be massively appreciated (of course!!)

For podocarpus they are super slow growing where as bougie is a weed. So again the size comparisons mean nothing. Also you can pretty much get as much bougie and large old ones as you want especially here in Florida.

Landscape guys yank em out all the time. I got a couple huge stumps for a case of beer. The issue really is that the stuff you're offering - BC, bougie, crepe myrtle are all super common plants that can be found pretty much anywhere and especially Fl. You pretty much couldn't get me to trade any developed JBP of any size for BC at all because I can get more BC but not JBP. I mean how bout a crepe of this size.

This is kinda where I thought that it'd be a fair-trade by the fact that my specimen was A more common (less valuable) but, in an equal & opposite manner it was B so much larger that it made-up for the species. There's most-certainly a size//species 'graph' for any tree and, if like-kind, would of course not expect similar-girths at similar-developments but what you're saying is a bit irrelevant I think because it gives me the impression that, for you as for me, it's pretty darn simple to come-across a large bougie you can grab, or to just go swamping for some BC's, but at the exact same time there's a huge % of this community that isn't getting in that swamp for anything and is simply going to pay for it - I certainly didn't expect (in making this thread) that I'd find someone like me who does their own collecting, was picturing that anyone I found would be a purchaser not a collector, and that I could generally-speaking rely on 'market #'s' (which of course aren't the same #'s you & I would place on boug's or BC's in our own minds because they're so much simpler for us) But it doesn't sound like you disagree with this as-concept, moreso that you disagree any of my stuff has any worth (which, with my 2nd post as quick as I can get a few pics / get it up, I can hopefully change your mind on - otherwise I can hopefully get whatever pointers you're willing to give, thought I had "beaten the studying stage" by a long shot at this point :p )

Look at the sweet main line and taper. This tree will be developed in less than 3 years as an amazing bonsai. I paid $400. A 2" JBP will go for this on Bonsai auctions. BC thick like these? Can get em all day...

Show me the best couple trees you are looking to trade and ill let you know if I'm interested or if I have someone who is.

View attachment 258235View attachment 258244
That crape is BEAUTIFUL!!! My immediate thought is "can I see the other side?" because if that's true taper then that thing is awesome and I can totally see why it's worth 400 (and yeah it's insane how quickly you can develop them, in my 9b w/ irrigation and slightly-acidic water(phos.acid added to tap when the rain-barrels are dry) and w.pall's feeding method (plus some organic, I've got worms in almost every container I open to up-pot or re-pot lol) creates an insane growth rate!!! If that crape isn't hiding a massive chop-wound on its backside then it'll be a star for sure, can't wait to see how that one goes!!!!

The BC, I know you can get them all day and so could I but most can't so they do have value (although to be fair I did say tampa area only, but again most people in this area aren't interested in, or capable of, going swamping with any practical chances of actually getting useful specimen out of it), I definitely get what you mean that you (or me or people like us) wouldn't be interested but purchaser-only hobbyists certainly could be...and FWIW that BC, unless the angle is just horrible, looks like the type of thing that, if/once lifted, you immediately think "crap it felt so much better/more-even underwater!!", sometimes you can only be so sure about the quality - I think it's fair to say that only a single 1 of my ~10 BC's conforms to that poor a trunk-line (apologies if text-only communication made that sound in *any* way malicious, I certainly would develop it myself and as-said I have 1 that I know-for-fact has a worse buttressed-area, I just mean that unless it's a bad angle or unless it's to be shown "from 1 side only" (I'm very much of the 3D approach, which as I understood was a central theme for serious bonsai artistry), that trunk will forever look odd no matter how great (and long) a development the top was given (unless you went in and ground-out a huge area, have seen Bill Butler go all the way down a BC's trunk before to fix a super low flaw and it looked like, once healed&grown-over, it'd have 'worked'/looked-great!)

I guess I just thought that, at minimum, my top 10 would've been able to score me some fat podo's (even some ~1.5yr old chunky stock, hardly developed - I'm quite into wood-carving and just getting better & better at it :D ), some medium Junipers, heck if I were lucky there'd be someone like-but-opposite me in that they had nearly 10 buttonwoods but couldn't find OK BC areas, that person must exist lol (in FL, I know BC's are limited in the US but buttonwoods wayyy more so) but the 'any moderate sized conifer' desire being beneath my best (or just such an off-trade that I wouldn't be expected to take it/do it) has me stunned because I did a horrible job of choosing which specimen to show & how, or I've been approaching SO many things wrong (I've listened to & read everything I could, the good stuff **many** times, thought I was totally 'past that' and, from this point, it was more of a 'sketch pad & good horticulture + time' thing....no way I'm posting sketches but am still thinking I have a good lil handful that'll be quite the lookers when finished (and while that's not of any value right now I am still operating under the belief that things like my BC's from '18 are genuinely "OK to Solid" level stock (one OK, one 'solid--->B+', will show you very very shortly am just gonna go take some shots & probably have to find some pics as so much of my garden is just over-grown right now as it's dead-center vegetative season and am doing very well so far as growth-rates!!

Thanks again for the reply, honestly I could give two hoots about new specimen at this point now I'm far more concerned I've been "on the right track" or, if not, that I'm able to see where I got off it & get back on!!!! Wayyy too much time & materials to approach it any other way!!! :)

Your phrasing makes me fear you took my refusal the wrong way so want to be clear that not only was I incredibly appreciative of the offer but it had me think "you live in the same circumstances, just go start collecting *your own* seedlings" lol!!! If it weren't for your offer & the thinking it got me doing I wouldn't have messed w/ seedlings so again thank you, I have at least 20 new lil trees now (out of nearly 50 if I had to guess!), most are Oak but a good handful of pines too, the pines had a lower success-rate maybe 50-70 and the Oaks were more like 65-75% survival, took these pics in the past week when I noticed your reply here but they're going strong (meant to post pics & thank you LONG ago but the life-hangup I mention in last-paragraph of prior post has taken every.last.bit of extra time from me, if I'm not working/sleeping/etc then I'm climbing to test out new gear or working on my chainsaws or just watching youtubes on felling trees, the past 6mo almost felt like a mini-university LOL like I'd taken a course or something!! Couldn't be happier though in fact can't remember the last time I was so pumped on life as I've been this past quarter as I actually went from learning my ropes to using them with regularity!!)

View attachment 258215 View attachment 258216 View attachment 258217 View attachment 258218

Again thanks for the inspiration on this I'd never have gone for it had you not given me the impetus, I know these Oaks are unlikely to become anything neat while I'm around to see it but I figure that the over-abundance of quercus virginiana in the area, juxtaposed to their scant appearances in modern bonsai, makes me think that I'm happy just introducing (25?) new specimen 'to the community' as I expect many will be give-aways :)

I have at least 7 Oaks of undetermined species, probably Live oaks but not sure yet. One Myrtle Oak, too. And a probable water oak. I have seen more than a few live oak as bonsai so its more of a new to you thing.

Thanks a ton for the replies, I'd gone to the store and by the time I'd returned I had a filled page of scrawled notes to either PM you or post....I'll be honest I was thinking PM because I fear civility (my own) because I'm kinda at a loss as I think my own appraisal (objective appraisal, not "oh I'm personally fond of it!") of so many of mine was just WAY off from yours and, with you being more experienced (always assumed- you're >a decade aren't you?) then I just have to surmise that you're in the right but at the same time I struggled with a ton of "but's" that I wanted to ask you so when I went straight to my laptop and saw you'd already replied I was very psyched- thank you very, very much for spending the time here!! I think that my terrible presentation & lack-of-information on some of (what I think/thought) my best specimen is a serious culprit here, as-is the seriously-high price tag on the species of Olive and the very potential acquisition of any 'new' buttonwoods (kinda wish I'd left my title as "Podo's, ficus, any small-leafed maples, and ANY non-BC conifers" to exclude the pricier-species) So, specifically:

I'm in full-acknowledgement that in many instances a buttonwood isn't "kosher" - in fact I'd be happy to hear what your estimate on what % of bonsai-buttonwoods on-display were taken in-accordance with the law, am quite sure that you can't just grab a BC from a swamp - even if it's ready to be turned into a commercial lot over the coming 18mo - without a permit. I first thought of this when watching Levine's interview with Mary Madison because it made me think "ok, I am going to guess that the % of specimen that should, but do not, have permits-for-collection are either 99% or 100.0%", I mean this must apply to the majority of true yamadori wouldn't you imagine? I do know that people pull permits and whatnot, and more power to doing so, but for plenty of reasons from efficiency/laziness, to knowing you'd get a No to a tree that would otherwise be destroyed&mulched (literal 'saving trees' lol), well, I don't think that it's oxymoronic to say that there's instances in which one can be a moral/ethical bonsai-outlaw! If Mary's got filing cabinets with doc's for all her buttonwoods I'd certainly be taken aback, and while I won't call names because it'd be in poor taste (and mine would be among them), for all the BC collection on this site I'd bet anything that the majority are 'illegally obtained' (my understanding is that even on private-residences it's still a no-no w/o prior permission for reasons of wetlands-protection, whereas buttonwood would certainly be no-no regardless now as you say[and I don't doubt])

[not to inspire tangential subjects but it does raise interesting Q's IMO, I mean what if the area down the street from you, full of BC's & Buttonwoods, is set to be demo'd tomorrow for a new marina, and w/o hopping a fence or straying >10' from your property line, you could grab some of the specimen that, tomorrow, would be obliterated - illegal, yes, unethical.....? ]
PS- for all intents&purposes the overwhelming majority of my garden is yardadori-based, that's my bread&butter lol (and hopefully will become even moreso as I focus a higher, then full, percent of my work on trees :D )

Okay, WOW this threw me for a loop!!!! I'm so thankful you've replied.....Firstly, an 18" BC for $100 sounds more like "I got a steal by paying a kid to do the work for me" less than "this is market-value that Zack would list for on his site"

That said, I've been doing this for years and my passion has only been growing steadily since I started and, wow I was anticipating embarrassment saying this via PM but in-public....Ok- I genuinely thought I was doing great, that I was totally on-track... I'm going to go take some pics now to post in a separate post below because I do hope (and kind of expect as, in looking at the album in my sig that you're probably referring to, that needs to be erased LOL) that I'm not off-base, any & everything that could help 'right my ship' would be GREATLY appreciated. The only "clearly different" thing, that some (myself at times) would call a negative, is the lack of any special/rare/etc species, heck half of my ficus are B's not M's, but so far as most of the stock I was seriously working on I thought that most of it would become at least B+ material (and at the rate I've got growing down that'll be sooner than later, this year was the first time I was intentionally restricting growth just because I couldn't keep-up and primaries were setting too-quickly in ways I couldn't allow!) Will post pics of some examples, soon as I submit this I'll take pics to get that post up in-hopes you (+/- others, in good faith please as this is essentially "have I been devoting so much of myself, for so long, in the wrong way?" kinda scenario..) can tell me if I am in-fact on-track, or if I'm off-base in significant ways and, if so, any&all suggestions on how to get on-track would be massively appreciated (of course!!)

This is kinda where I thought that it'd be a fair-trade by the fact that my specimen was A more common (less valuable) but, in an equal & opposite manner it was B so much larger that it made-up for the species. There's most-certainly a size//species 'graph' for any tree and, if like-kind, would of course not expect similar-girths at similar-developments but what you're saying is a bit irrelevant I think because it gives me the impression that, for you as for me, it's pretty darn simple to come-across a large bougie you can grab, or to just go swamping for some BC's, but at the exact same time there's a huge % of this community that isn't getting in that swamp for anything and is simply going to pay for it - I certainly didn't expect (in making this thread) that I'd find someone like me who does their own collecting, was picturing that anyone I found would be a purchaser not a collector, and that I could generally-speaking rely on 'market #'s' (which of course aren't the same #'s you & I would place on boug's or BC's in our own minds because they're so much simpler for us) But it doesn't sound like you disagree with this as-concept, moreso that you disagree any of my stuff has any worth (which, with my 2nd post as quick as I can get a few pics / get it up, I can hopefully change your mind on - otherwise I can hopefully get whatever pointers you're willing to give, thought I had "beaten the studying stage" by a long shot at this point :p )

That crape is BEAUTIFUL!!! My immediate thought is "can I see the other side?" because if that's true taper then that thing is awesome and I can totally see why it's worth 400 (and yeah it's insane how quickly you can develop them, in my 9b w/ irrigation and slightly-acidic water(phos.acid added to tap when the rain-barrels are dry) and w.pall's feeding method (plus some organic, I've got worms in almost every container I open to up-pot or re-pot lol) creates an insane growth rate!!! If that crape isn't hiding a massive chop-wound on its backside then it'll be a star for sure, can't wait to see how that one goes!!!!

The BC, I know you can get them all day and so could I but most can't so they do have value (although to be fair I did say tampa area only, but again most people in this area aren't interested in, or capable of, going swamping with any practical chances of actually getting useful specimen out of it), I definitely get what you mean that you (or me or people like us) wouldn't be interested but purchaser-only hobbyists certainly could be...and FWIW that BC, unless the angle is just horrible, looks like the type of thing that, if/once lifted, you immediately think "crap it felt so much better/more-even underwater!!", sometimes you can only be so sure about the quality - I think it's fair to say that only a single 1 of my ~10 BC's conforms to that poor a trunk-line (apologies if text-only communication made that sound in *any* way malicious, I certainly would develop it myself and as-said I have 1 that I know-for-fact has a worse buttressed-area, I just mean that unless it's a bad angle or unless it's to be shown "from 1 side only" (I'm very much of the 3D approach, which as I understood was a central theme for serious bonsai artistry), that trunk will forever look odd no matter how great (and long) a development the top was given (unless you went in and ground-out a huge area, have seen Bill Butler go all the way down a BC's trunk before to fix a super low flaw and it looked like, once healed&grown-over, it'd have 'worked'/looked-great!)

I guess I just thought that, at minimum, my top 10 would've been able to score me some fat podo's (even some ~1.5yr old chunky stock, hardly developed - I'm quite into wood-carving and just getting better & better at it :D ), some medium Junipers, heck if I were lucky there'd be someone like-but-opposite me in that they had nearly 10 buttonwoods but couldn't find OK BC areas, that person must exist lol (in FL, I know BC's are limited in the US but buttonwoods wayyy more so) but the 'any moderate sized conifer' desire being beneath my best (or just such an off-trade that I wouldn't be expected to take it/do it) has me stunned because I did a horrible job of choosing which specimen to show & how, or I've been approaching SO many things wrong (I've listened to & read everything I could, the good stuff **many** times, thought I was totally 'past that' and, from this point, it was more of a 'sketch pad & good horticulture + time' thing....no way I'm posting sketches but am still thinking I have a good lil handful that'll be quite the lookers when finished (and while that's not of any value right now I am still operating under the belief that things like my BC's from '18 are genuinely "OK to Solid" level stock (one OK, one 'solid--->B+', will show you very very shortly am just gonna go take some shots & probably have to find some pics as so much of my garden is just over-grown right now as it's dead-center vegetative season and am doing very well so far as growth-rates!!

Thanks again for the reply, honestly I could give two hoots about new specimen at this point now I'm far more concerned I've been "on the right track" or, if not, that I'm able to see where I got off it & get back on!!!! Wayyy too much time & materials to approach it any other way!!! :)

I will say man your posts are a bit to wade thru haha. Part one the bottom line is availability for Buttonwood is low and the demand is high. This probably won't happen for you on any trade situation. Gonna have to use real money to get one. Legally collected pieces or not there just isn't a mass of larger stock. Young trees can be bought but lack the great deadwood. Part two. While large BC are somewhat desired, who is gonna pay for shipping a 50-100 lb tree. That cost is probably more than the tree is worth. Large podos can be found but medium sized ones are difficult. I've got several over 6" at the base. And feel free to pm me and I will actually be in Tampa for a memorial service this Sat. Would you like me to stop by sat or sun and help you a bit in person. Junipers are relatively easy to track down but usually require some good techniques to work them.

I guess I just thought that, at minimum, my top 10 would've been able to score me some fat podo's (even some ~1.5yr old chunky stock, hardly developed

And just a point here kinda off this line of thinking. As a practiced artist I don't care one whit about someone else's pre 'development' - all I care about is the trunk and health. I am the one (and others who are practitioners of bonsai) who can achieve the correct development of a tree. So the bones are WAY more important than any work you can probably achieve in the first year or two. The money is the base. I can always regrow branches, graft new foliage or redesign etc ESPECIALLY on super fast growing stuff like BC, bougie and crepes. The key for material like this is a good starting base/trunk bc I can develop all the trees structure and branching etc in just a couple years.

Reactions: SU2
I have at least 7 Oaks of undetermined species, probably Live oaks but not sure yet. One Myrtle Oak, too. And a probable water oak. I have seen more than a few live oak as bonsai so its more of a new to you thing.
I'm sorry if my wording was unclear, I didn't mean (unsure I said?) they're 'new', my point was just that quercus is the dominant broadleaf in my region but is hardly ever around as a good bonsai IME, I didn't at all mean to imply they don't exist rather just that, if one were to choose between a 2" crape and a 2" Live Oak, surely most enthusiasts would choose the Oak, yet for every 1 Oak I see pictured I'll see 20 crapes, that's what I was getting at and it's simply a matter of "Oaks are a major PITA to collect/get yamma's, so seedlings are 'the way' for this specie"

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get your Oaks if you have any that are pre-bonsai (or even stock, anything but seedlings or 3-yr-old trees-from-seedlings), and just as interested in any pics you've got if you wouldn't mind (am in love w/ the species especially Virginiana's, the hardest/heaviest wood in my forests and the best trees to climb, as bonsai they're gorgeous but few & far between relative to what one would expect when considering it's the dominant broadleaf of the region's forests!

Thanks again for the offer, it was of far more value than the actual seedlings would've been, I'd never have gone for it if I didn't see you doing so (once I realized I wanted to go for it, it seemed silly to ask you/anyone to spend the time grabbing&mailing them when they're *incredibly* abundant near me, I should've grabbed more Pines than Oaks but am so set on owning a good Live Oak bonsai that I went overboard there! My god do the pines grow slowly though, hardly any noticeable growth on mine!!)

I hope you don't think I wasn't appreciative it actually meant a great deal to me that you'd offered & spurred me to get-into the seedling game myself (have you had much luck going after seedlings mid-season? I've been tempted to go around my yard and grab another collection now, unsure if they're more or less likely to make it, they're older&more-established which I could see working-with or working-against me!!)

Oh and if you send me a PM with the unknown-cultivars' pictures I can have ID's to you probably by the end of the day (I post to /r/whatsthisplant in such situations, a kid there is a walking botany-library he cannot be stumped!!), got the day off (bum knee :/ ) so would be happy to get you ID's if you send me the shots :D
[in any case I'm eager to know/see whether any of your Oaks are sizeable yet, I know there's a veteran member here who either themselves or someone they know is getting like 1/10 success when going for yamadori, I just spent enough time on that path that I didn't think it was worthwhile anymore, tried every method & trick I could find and never got one to survive more than a few months if it survived the pull at all, some were 2-stepped on the roots, some were trunk-chopped 1/2yr before collection, just every approach I could fathom and no luck getting a mature specimen to take a chop&collect!]

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get your Oaks if you have any that are pre-bonsai (or even stock, anything but seedlings or 3-yr-old trees-from-seedlings), and just as interested in any pics you've got if you wouldn't mind (

Oaks are tricky. Gotta have skills ;)

20180518_174215.jpg

I will say man your posts are a bit to wade thru haha. Part one the bottom line is availability for Buttonwood is low and the demand is high. This probably won't happen for you on any trade situation. Gonna have to use real money to get one. Legally collected pieces or not there just isn't a mass of larger stock. Young trees can be bought but lack the great deadwood.
I'm sorry that's my bad I know I err that way &'ll do better here :D

I should've left buttonwoods off the list, honestly a podo would be just as cool to me and, when something is up-priced for availability reasons like this, that value isn't valuable to me (I don't get the wow-factor some do from having something 'that's rarer') so I guess buttonwoods are going to need to wait til I can find some, a climber I met earlier this year was telling me how he collects BC's & Buttonwoods but, when I went and checked one of his supposed collection sites, there was certainly no buttonwood just mangroves (I'm right beside tampa and fear I may be a touch too-north in FL, have looked everywhere there's mangroves just looking for the buttonwoods w/ their alternate leaf-arrangement and never have I found a single one!), not that it'd matter since it's illegal now so acquisition will be tricky ugh..

Part two. While large BC are somewhat desired, who is gonna pay for shipping a 50-100 lb tree. That cost is probably more than the tree is worth. Large podos can be found but medium sized ones are difficult. I've got several over 6" at the base. And feel free to pm me and I will actually be in Tampa for a memorial service this Sat. Would you like me to stop by sat or sun and help you a bit in person. Junipers are relatively easy to track down but usually require some good techniques to work them.
Re shipping I agree for sure, I was really hoping to find someone close enough that I could meet halfway or something, although in FL and w/ certain specimen you could drastically reduce size&weight by un-potting it and 'bagging' with mostly styrofoam / some sphagnum, as long as it wasn't in the sun most tropical species would take that well if you boxed it right

Interesting that medium ones would be difficult, I'd have thought it'd be linear IE the bigger they are the rarer they are therefore the less-represented they'd be...big ones are great, I'm a total sucker for big trunks!!

Re Junipers yeah I'm new enough to them that anything with a thick-enough trunk would be neat as it'd actually give me something to work with, I have all these lil store-bought junipers that I buy "to learn junipers" and, since they're so small, there's nothing to do / learn lol, just a few clippings/re-pottings..

Really sorry to hear about the memorial service I hope you & yours are managing well :( IF you're in the mood/up for it, hell yeah I'd love you to swing by!!! I'm sure I've got some randomness you may be interested to take-home just for visiting I relish any chance to get a veteran's eyes on my garden (you'd be just the 2nd!), my entire backyard is 'fenced' by a 2-tiered bonsai-bench just loaded, 2 center tables as-workstations, a pair of veteran eyes would be hugely appreciated I'd totally tilt/factor that in to any trade we may be able to reach if you've got medium-->large podo's!!

And just a point here kinda off this line of thinking. As a practiced artist I don't care one whit about someone else's pre 'development' - all I care about is the trunk and health. I am the one (and others who are practitioners of bonsai) who can achieve the correct development of a tree. So the bones are WAY more important than any work you can probably achieve in the first year or two. The money is the base. I can always regrow branches, graft new foliage or redesign etc ESPECIALLY on super fast growing stuff like BC, bougie and crepes. The key for material like this is a good starting base/trunk bc I can develop all the trees structure and branching etc in just a couple years.
I don't think it's off-point at all! And I do agree with the main point you're making but, if I were, say, looking for BC's, I would be happy to work-off of a piece of stock that mellow mullet or zack or bill had been developing for a year or two, as-compared with a (hypothetical)perfectly-established&healthy, but entirely undeveloped(just getting first branches) piece of material. Some things are just obvious, for example the top-most primary on one of my BC's (BC1, will post the pictures of these below I'm sorry I couldn't get BN to cooperate the other day then had to leave b4 getting them up) the top-most primary / 'leader' being grown for like 1.75yrs, and closing the trunk-chop wound that much, is of value to me as someone looking for a BC, there are still plenty of lines to go with but, in most-any styling, you're going to need to close that wound & have the start of a canopy, will show this in my next post (have time today / will have the pics-post up very shortly, hopefully if my approaches are off base in significant ways they can be pointed-out to me hell even minor critiques are very useful of course!

Totally get what you mean about doing it your own way, am very much that way myself and would take a great piece of stock any day over ~B quality stock that had been in-development for half a decade and was in-refinement, actually in-refinement trees - while the most expensive - are the least appealing to me from an acquisition standpoint, in bonsai I've noticed some people are predominately 'collectors' while others are 'artists/hobbyists', meaning some simply want a beautiful patio with a bunch of nice, finished trees, while others (like you & I) see that as "other people's paintings" when we're really looking for canvases as we're not 'collecting art' we're making it :) But yeah there's still some lines, "BC.1" will exemplify this and'll be the first tree in my next post (by noon!), that are kinda just 'obviously OK' for future-development, they work with the material/stock, they're not limiting, etc so I don't think it's fair to see bonsais' value as a black/white dichotomy where it's either stock/just-collected prices or finished, fully-refined prices, w/o anything in the middle (while you personally may not want anything beyond raw stock, others would - heck if you&I were trying to work-out a fair swap and you had a 6" podo, it would absolutely be worth more to me if you'd already grown-in a handful of ~1" primaries for me to work from, obviously this means I didn't 'birth' the design 100% myself but I am ok with that, it'd never cross my mind to remove your branches & re-start unless they were just done wrong lol (I guess my pics will let it be determined if I've been doing it right!!)

Pics-up within an hour, am going to do it in 2 posts first is the two specimen (BC's from Feb 2018) referred to earlier as BC's with some basic development started, second being a smattering of random stuff that - while few are mass-appeal styles, are things that I fully expect(know) will have some people interested (I say 'know' because I've gotten offers from non-hobbyists before, though as a rule my trees aren't for sale just for trade, selling trees that're older than bare-stock level seems silly to me because so much time goes into them that it's hard to imagine charging a price that'd let you actually recoup&profit, this certainly isn't a good area to look for commercial ventures ;D

Oh I meant to add as I was thinking about this a lot since reading your last post (I'd read it but a job came-up and I kinda have to run-when-called as I try booking more climb&cut work, trying to be a specialist instead of all-jobs handyman lol) but development-work, just as-with refinement work, I don't think it's at all fair to black&white it like that - I consider a half-finished bougie by Erik Wigert, or a just-set-up tree by graham potter - and, of course, I see that development done as incredibly valuable!! To be clear, I know damn-well I'm not G.Potter or E.Wigert, lol, I just mean to say that I dislike the idea that work-done on a piece of material only becomes valuable if the material is done / 'in-refinement', I don't see it that way at all there are certainly things that you may've spent 3-5yrs 'setting the skeleton' on that I'd definitely think were FAR more valuable for it ,@Mellow Mullet 's BC's come to-mind I mean if a finished, A+ BC was "worth"[lol] $3k, and its trunk as just-collected-stock was worth $500(say, from zack's site), and it was a 10yr development, then I think it's a pretty linear-enough line on the "time//value" graph where that material becomes more valuable every year as he gets it closer to its finished $3k, fully-developed/ready-for-show condition - while you (and I!) may turn our noses up at the development work of some others I think there's certain 'obviously right' moves that make a piece more valuable, if you don't I'm sure you can at least imagine that I'm not alone in thinking the way I do! Ok time to get the pics ready&posted (&send you a PM, if you can make it I will grab a pizza before you show / whatever you'd like and again I'll totally tilt a trade heavily if I'm not having to drive-out my specimen to god knows where, when you see my lil mini-truck[1995 nissan d21] you'll get why long drives suck for me ;D )

Oh I meant to add as I was thinking about this a lot since reading your last post (I'd read it but a job came-up and I kinda have to run-when-called as I try booking more climb&cut work, trying to be a specialist instead of all-jobs handyman lol) but development-work, just as-with refinement work, I don't think it's at all fair to black&white it like that - I consider a half-finished bougie by Erik Wigert, or a just-set-up tree by graham potter - and, of course, I see that development done as incredibly valuable!! To be clear, I know damn-well I'm not G.Potter or E.Wigert, lol, I just mean to say that I dislike the idea that work-done on a piece of material only becomes valuable if the material is done / 'in-refinement', I don't see it that way at all there are certainly things that you may've spent 3-5yrs 'setting the skeleton' on that I'd definitely think were FAR more valuable for it ,@Mellow Mullet 's BC's come to-mind I mean if a finished, A+ BC was "worth"[lol] $3k, and its trunk as just-collected-stock was worth $500(say, from zack's site), and it was a 10yr development, then I think it's a pretty linear-enough line on the "time//value" graph where that material becomes more valuable every year as he gets it closer to its finished $3k, fully-developed/ready-for-show condition - while you (and I!) may turn our noses up at the development work of some others I think there's certain 'obviously right' moves that make a piece more valuable, if you don't I'm sure you can at least imagine that I'm not alone in thinking the way I do! Ok time to get the pics ready&posted (&send you a PM, if you can make it I will grab a pizza before you show / whatever you'd like and again I'll totally tilt a trade heavily if I'm not having to drive-out my specimen to god knows where, when you see my lil mini-truck[1995 nissan d21] you'll get why long drives suck for me ;D )

Ok so dont get me wrong it's not that I'm disdaining the pre work someone else may have done, especially if it was a pro. However, what may have been done previously may not be what I see for the trees future so maybe I need to remove what they did or revamp what they did to go in my direction. Not that they didnt do great work it's just not what I want for said material. That's why for pre- material the bones are crucial. A large non trunk chopped broadleaf tree is invaluable as I can graft new branches or regrow them or whatever I want but I just cant just go out and replace a proper trunk. This is what I'm getting at. Now if I bought a large semi-finished piece that's been styled repeatedly and I liked it so that's why I purchased it then yes I would most likely continue the style plan laid down and continue its development. So while some pre work MAY have been significant it may not matter to the eye that's purchasing the tree. Neither good or bad just is. One of the tricky things about bonsai value.

Ok so dont get me wrong it's not that I'm disdaining the pre work someone else may have done, especially if it was a pro. However, what may have been done previously may not be what I see for the trees future so maybe I need to remove what they did or revamp what they did to go in my direction. Not that they didnt do great work it's just not what I want for said material. That's why for pre- material the bones are crucial. A large non trunk chopped broadleaf tree is invaluable as I can graft new branches or regrow them or whatever I want but I just cant just go out and replace a proper trunk. This is what I'm getting at. Now if I bought a large semi-finished piece that's been styled repeatedly and I liked it so that's why I purchased it then yes I would most likely continue the style plan laid down and continue its development. So while some pre work MAY have been significant it may not matter to the eye that's purchasing the tree. Neither good or bad just is. One of the tricky things about bonsai value.
Well put! I'd add that there's almost an inherent 'sliding scale' of value in this context due to the fact that, if I've grown-out a handful of primaries I'd thought were great, and you disagreed, odds-are that you'd still be able to make 1 or more of them work in some type of design - for instance in the first of these two BC examples, the closure of that trunk-chop wound is something almost-every design will require anyways, a new branch/leader to begin the formation of a canopy is what almost-every design will need, etc, so even if your sketches of final-design were radically different than mine I'd say it's a fair bet your sketches would still include a leader-primary that was wound-closing & canopy-forming so that 18mo of vigorous growth&girthening there (and anchoring-to-center via guy-wires tied-into a screw I'd driven straight-down-into the open wound, tend to do this for setting orientation on leader-branches on thicker materials, idea being to minimize the outside-shoulder as-much-as-possible so that, in some years when a canopy is becoming visible, the outside-collar-bulge will have essentially been smoothed-into the trunking)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So for the two BC's I've got that have some development (only 2 from '18, the remainder were collected this year), at around 19mo old but grown very 'aggressively' lol, the smaller one is BC.1 and the larger BC.2, here's BC.1
[g'damnit BN isn't giving me the pop-up for /Attach Files again, here is an Imgur album I'm just going to make them to insert here instead:
If that's problematic then this is it, imgur has a new GUI ugh

And BC.2, far bigger specimen and much more 'traditional' flared-base, gave him same treatment of 2018=bushing-out, then right-before-bud-break this year I went and hard-pruned all primaries *except* the top-most / "leader"-primary as to encourage growth up there, and like w/ BC.1 I got a ton of top-growth to begin building an apex & closing the wound:
or if that didn't work then
Have a bunch of bougie stuff that I photo'd Mon and am going to just make a quick lil index/album/whatever of in-hopes of seeing what, if any, major things I may be missing!! (takes longer to set these up than I remembered, think I'm rusty!)

I'm sorry if my wording was unclear, I didn't mean (unsure I said?) they're 'new', my point was just that quercus is the dominant broadleaf in my region but is hardly ever around as a good bonsai IME, I didn't at all mean to imply they don't exist rather just that, if one were to choose between a 2" crape and a 2" Live Oak, surely most enthusiasts would choose the Oak, yet for every 1 Oak I see pictured I'll see 20 crapes, that's what I was getting at and it's simply a matter of "Oaks are a major PITA to collect/get yamma's, so seedlings are 'the way' for this specie"

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get your Oaks if you have any that are pre-bonsai (or even stock, anything but seedlings or 3-yr-old trees-from-seedlings), and just as interested in any pics you've got if you wouldn't mind (am in love w/ the species especially Virginiana's, the hardest/heaviest wood in my forests and the best trees to climb, as bonsai they're gorgeous but few & far between relative to what one would expect when considering it's the dominant broadleaf of the region's forests!

Thanks again for the offer, it was of far more value than the actual seedlings would've been, I'd never have gone for it if I didn't see you doing so (once I realized I wanted to go for it, it seemed silly to ask you/anyone to spend the time grabbing&mailing them when they're *incredibly* abundant near me, I should've grabbed more Pines than Oaks but am so set on owning a good Live Oak bonsai that I went overboard there! My god do the pines grow slowly though, hardly any noticeable growth on mine!!)

I hope you don't think I wasn't appreciative it actually meant a great deal to me that you'd offered & spurred me to get-into the seedling game myself (have you had much luck going after seedlings mid-season? I've been tempted to go around my yard and grab another collection now, unsure if they're more or less likely to make it, they're older&more-established which I could see working-with or working-against me!!)
I dig them up out of the ground, usually let them sit in water for a few days to a week and then pot them. I only dig ones up that are bigger than my finger, no sense in seedlings.

Oh and if you send me a PM with the unknown-cultivars' pictures I can have ID's to you probably by the end of the day (I post to /r/whatsthisplant in such situations, a kid there is a walking botany-library he cannot be stumped!!), got the day off (bum knee :/ ) so would be happy to get you ID's if you send me the shots :D
[in any case I'm eager to know/see whether any of your Oaks are sizeable yet, I know there's a veteran member here who either themselves or someone they know is getting like 1/10 success when going for yamadori, I just spent enough time on that path that I didn't think it was worthwhile anymore, tried every method & trick I could find and never got one to survive more than a few months if it survived the pull at all, some were 2-stepped on the roots, some were trunk-chopped 1/2yr before collection, just every approach I could fathom and no luck getting a mature specimen to take a chop&collect!]
I am 99 percent sure of what they are so not needed. :)

Back
Top Bottom