Tamarind

You may wish to write to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, as they had a Tamarind growing in their greenhouse.
Back in 1982 or so.
It was tall and thin, willowy.
Perhaps they can offer some advice.

You should be able to fertilise through July and use 70 deg.F as your warning number, day or night.

However the touchy part would be the beginning of your training technique, the 1, 2, 3, leaflet cut back.
With a good fertilising, full sun [ 8 hrs + ] and pruning, you will probably get buds every where.
Be prepared to imagine where branches should be and to use a bamboo skewer to gently remove buds as they
show ------- this big [ ]
The technique will become self explanatory.

If you can as I suggested find examples on Google of mature trees.
Then get some tracing paper, and place over your laptop/computer's screen or print the images at a usable size.
Trace on that.

Look for the Outline ----- the first 6 branches - and observe how the branchlets work.
Look also for proportions of branches.
Also what is known as - Negative and Positive spaces.
Essentially what makes your Bonsai look like a tree and not a shrub or bush [ as we say it ].

Do you need an example of how to do?
I can ask Khaimraj, my brother-in-law [ Fine Artist ] to do an example for you.
If you can do independently, please show, so we can discuss ---- if you like.

You may also wish to explore rooting cuttings so you have more to run tests on.
Try not to experiment on your only plant,
This is how most kill their chances at Bonsai.
Good Day
Anthony

* Seed from Chinese or Indian [ India ] shops or online, for cheap victims - germination in under or around 2 weeks
extremely easy [ remember I am in the Tropics - easy life ]

@Anthony As you may recall, I germinated a bunch of Tamarindus seeds last year,but,unfortunately,not separately. Some are 2 or 3 to a four inch wide and 3 or 4 inch deep pot.Eight are in a bigger 4 inch deep bulb pot.All are now newly leafed out and night temps are well above 70F. Can I separate them into other pots now? That is.of course..disturb roots and prune tops?Substrate will be quartzite gravel and my own compost (old).

Last edited:
George,

all you can do is try. Please take written notes of what you do .

Also what you are trying to achieve - trunk fattening is ground growing.

Unless you expect 5/6 inch tall trees and 1" trunks, you will have to reset them in probably colanders for about
a year and then ground grow. Pots won't work.

You may find that Tamarinds don't need more than 5 inches of soil depth, but the container can keep getting wider.
We use UV stabilised plastic pot saucers 12 to 24" wide, but around 4" deep and you can mound upwards for a bit more
soil.
These saucers are easily available here, so you will have to create your own situation.

Simple tree to care for.

However, it is really for daytime viewing [ appreciation ] as it sleeps and you design with exterior shape and using
negative/ positive spaces.
The trunk / branches change to flaking bark and massive up-lifts, but no exposed roots.

Once a year defoliated, nudity and then buds of brightest jade green, with beautiful orchid type flowers in the hundreds,
in grape-like bunches.
Lots of pleasant work. Joy, joy, joy.
Best Wishes.
Good Day
Anthony

Thanks, @Anthony . One more thing.While I go about the business of repotting,can I bareroot them? By the way,when my seedlings struck new growth this Spring.I had never til then seen a more beautiful shade of green!

@Geo,

Morning George,

Tamarinds, normally do not show surface roots. When we lift them we simply shorten the long roots, if any.
No point to bare rooting, this however assumes that you grew them in a gravel type soil.
You really don't want to bare root a 10 year old Tamarind. Time will show you why.

Pretty,are they not? Leaves of bright jade green. Wait until they flower.

Our soil mix after 30 years allowed the oldest tamarind to remain full of fine roots, nothing thickened.
Hopefully the same will happen for you.

The airlayer shown on IBC this year, has really taken off. Will show around July's end.
It is probably about 6 to 8 years old and in a large plastic Bonsai pot.

Rains are here, and yesterday, was spent planting Cocoa and Coffee trees, with an odd finding of a Muntingia c.
in a cocoa grow bag. With luck the Muntingia will thrive and become a beautiful shade tree.
Keep the faith.
Good Day
Anthony

*You may also like Flaucortia indica - fairly fast growing and it weeps.
https://www.google.tt/search?q=flac...aAQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=flacourtia+indica+tree

Reactions: Geo
Great stuff. These tamarind are really nice with the pinnate leaves. We have a lot of these types of species here mostly acacias I think not sure what this is but I picked it up off the forest floor here and decided to wire it for fun! :0)20160626_173443.jpg

Great!. I love tamarindos and also Acacia species. I have A.farnesanaia,used everywheree as a perfume base. Let me tell you,it has a superb grwth pattern for bonsai cultivation..In a very small pot as well. 2 inches by 5.One year old and thicker than a pencil.Pruned at least four times.Not repotted yet. I am turning this plant into a mane or shohin without having to resort to all the Northern BS for trunk thickening.Hurrah! for tropicals.Especially if you are older and need a good deal to happen with your plants every year. Good to meet you @Aiki_Joker !!

Thought I'd update in case anyone was wondering. The tamarind is doing very well. I pruned it to let some light in since it was so dense with foliage. Within two weeks it had exploded with growth. Following the help of a member who lives nearby it's been trimmed a little, repotted into a bonsai pot, and planted in bonsai soil. Some of the new growth died back just slightly after the root disturbance but it seems to be growing very well still.

Oh, you are going to have fun next late spring, early summer [ temp above 70 deg.C day or night ]
when you defoliate and really get ready to train!!!

Good Day
Anthony

* Remember this tree does not feature exposed roots, but will expand the trunk and the roots closer to the trunk, as well
as the bark going to the flaking off stage.

Anyone growing these had luck with cuttings? I stuck a few in with some other cuttings and everything rooted besides the cuttings from this plant. All they did was grow mold.

How's your tamarind doing? any latest pics? I got one today and I am in zone 7 and just wondering how you are wintering it, I have a heated green house but it gets down to the 30s when its extremely cold outside. Has yours flowered or fruit yet? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom