Tall Escambron Styling - Literati? Informal Upright?

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I recently purchased this rather large Escambron that was collected from Puerto Rico about 8+ years ago from a gentleman in Florida. I do really like it (even if it doesn't follow the rules of Bonsai all the way), but could use some styling advice. I have gone ahead and started on some of the wiring on the right side, but not certain how I should approach this. A friend recommended going bunjin style for this tree but wanted to see what you guys thought. I am a visual person, so my apologies if I ask for elaborations frequently.

First image is the front93069B72-01E0-4951-A400-8EBC073B1B0F.jpegC832856F-8FC2-4619-877B-10006B29E622.jpeg6A6EB264-012C-4CE4-96BD-0A16D01E600D.jpeg

All the branches on a tree need to look like they have been subjected to the same conditions and therefore resemble each other, although the lower branches since they are older and longer and heavier are more downcast than those above, and each ascending layer are less so (downcast) and shorter. You have established a nice lower rank, and should continue according to the formula/rules above. So, I see 3 layers, the middle layer can be nearly horizontal and the crown can be just that on the outer parts, but more upright in the center of the crown. I'm not familiar with the species, but I like this tree.

All the branches on a tree need to look like they have been subjected to the same conditions and therefore resemble each other, although the lower branches since they are older and longer and heavier are more downcast than those above, and each ascending layer are less so (downcast) and shorter. You have established a nice lower rank, and should continue according to the formula/rules above. So, I see 3 layers, the middle layer can be nearly horizontal and the crown can be just that on the outer parts, but more upright in the center of the crown. I'm not familiar with the species, but I like this tree.
I’ll definitely toy with the horizontal idea once they’re wired. Make it look like a tall tropical Christmas tree haha. Appreciate the input :) If you like tropicals that are super resilient and grow like weeds, highly recommend Escambrons. They remind me of a superior harlandii boxwood (where you can wire the branches and manipulate the growth better). Not to mention the bark isn’t cork-like so it’s easier to handle

I also hope to reduce the knobs on the trunk where branches were removed once I get my dremel. Hoping for a cleaner heal. Also plan on restarting the base by air layering it near the bottom (or ground layer if I have to). They seem to take well to air layers and cuttings

Rules I missed: the longer any branch is, the more droopy it is and vice-versa, so that shorter and thinner branches can be slightly more up than the rest of any given layer/group. Any opportunity to introduce wind-influenced motion at tips can be useful in adding character.

I would caution against "cleaning up" the trunk. Lumps and bumps hide straight sections which are to be avoided like the plague. The more lumps & bumps, the more the eye skips around and fails to focus upon straight sections.

Rules I missed: the longer any branch is, the more droopy it is and vice-versa, so that shorter and thinner branches can be slightly more up than the rest of any given layer/group. Any opportunity to introduce wind-influenced motion at tips can be useful in adding character.

I would caution against "cleaning up" the trunk. Lumps and bumps hide straight sections which are to be avoided like the plague. The more lumps & bumps, the more the eye skips around and fails to focus upon straight sections.
That’s fair. I might not do all of them, but I will straighten up the not so smooth cuts on certain parts. They won’t heal over well in the long term. Appreciate the additional rules! Have any resources or examples? If not no worries

No, I have failed with manufacturing a literati two times and wound up with whatever you call a literati with too much foliage. The first was a Ficus Too Little Dutch Treat. They do not accept turning branches towards weeping, they die instead.
FDT L 2019_1218Edit0035.JPG
FDT L 20200124_163840.jpg
The second was a Golden Hinoki that has foliage that weeps nicely, but the foliage is too long in nature. It looks good longer, but looks like crap when short.
CAN Jim Doyle workshop IMG_0162.jpg
CAN 2021_0517 SQ.jpg
You need to start with a trunk that has character albeit too long, and then be a species that has foliage that will play ball. I'm still looking...

No, I have failed with manufacturing a literati two times and wound up with whatever you call a literati with too much foliage. The first was a Ficus Too Little Dutch Treat. They do not accept turning branches towards weeping, they die instead.
View attachment 400464
View attachment 400465
The second was a Golden Hinoki that has foliage that weeps nicely, but the foliage is too long in nature. It looks good longer, but looks like crap when short.
View attachment 400466
View attachment 400467
You need to start with a trunk that has character albeit too long, and then be a species that has foliage that will play ball. I'm still looking...
Making literati with ficus looks hard. I have a friend who’s done one (looks super nice), but I can’t imagine trying. Hope you’re able to work on yours a bit more for the desired look you want! I like Hinoki as well, seems unique

Number one rule of Literati: Literati do not follow RULES. Scratch most of whole rules concept if developing Literati. Two main concepts do apply: Generally most of foliage 2/3 or higher on trunk and sparse foliage. One more is generally tree will look aged/weathered, likely beat up by natural environment at least eventually😌.

There are no rules, so you call your guidelines, "concepts". Quibling taken to a high art, with just a hint of hypocrisy.

Concept:
Concepts are defined as abstract ideas or general notions that occur in the mind, in speech, or in thought. They are understood to be the fundamental building blocks of the concept behind principles, thoughts and beliefs. They play an important role in all aspects of cognition
CONCEPT definition leaves.JPG
-(Wikipedia)

Picky, picky, picky.

I like your tree alot. I feel like youve got a good set of bones and the "flaws" give it a nice and weathered look. Like an old ancient being left in a valley that just went thru wildfire or some sort of natural damage to the rest of the forest and managed to be the only one standing.

I like your tree alot. I feel like youve got a good set of bones and the "flaws" give it a nice and weathered look. Like an old ancient being left in a valley that just went thru wildfire or some sort of natural damage to the rest of the forest and managed to be the only one standing.
I really appreciate this comment thank you

Any recommendations for pots? I do like the round pot it’s in but it’s just a Mica pot

The nice thing about round pots is you can change the front if or as the tree evolves over time and pretend that you did it that way on purpose!

The nice thing about round pots is you can change the front if or as the tree evolves over time and pretend that you did it that way on purpose!
Should I stick with dark chocolate unglazed then or should I look into glazed?

Back
Top Bottom