Sunday project - growing bench

Larz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have my bonsai workstation in a shaded area and have kept my trees there for a while. It gets sun later in the day, but not enough for some of my newer pre-bonsai trees. So I built this bench in an afternoon for about $45. It's all pressure treated wood. Only 4' wide but with 4 12" shelves it holds a bunch. I have placed it where it will get full sun for about 6-7 hours a day in the summer. I might wrap the sides with poly for wintering and set the trees on the bottom shelf.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 291
Very nice bench, particularly for DIY and $45.

Those look like some "Betty Crocker" colanders from Dollar Tree -- I have a few myself!

Very nice bench, particularly for DIY and $45.

Those look like some "Betty Crocker" colanders from Dollar Tree -- I have a few myself!

Yep, exactly! Just slip-potted a few nursery trees I acquired recently. The black pond basket is great, too. I'd like more of those - stole this one from my wife.

Did you follow a plan? I like this bench as it doesn't take up a whole lot of room and has the bottom shelf for wintering. If possible, can you give me a measurement of the front and reaf set of 4x4s? Did you cut the stair rails or buy those pieces?

I'm copying this for next Spring! Thanks!

Great bench, good design and well built. One mention of caution thought. Pots sometimes will seal themselves on solid shelves. When this happens they can not drain and the water builds up in the pot itself. Solution is simple, for those with a solid bottom rim just put a small stone or stick under the pot edge to elevate part of the rim.

Thanks Doug, I will make sure the pots drain, good call.

I'll draw up my plans and post them here soon for those interested. I made it up as I went along, based on a photo I found online. The stair stringers are brilliant - not my idea but simplified the whole thing. I purchased them for $10 each at Home Depot, but the could be made from 2 x 10 stock.

Quickie ipad drawing, but when used with the photo for reference, should be good enough. I added 2x4s on the bottom front and back inside the 4x4 legs to help hold the front and back bottom shelf board. Those two were cut at about 31" to fit between legs.

Hope you find this helpful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 94
Quickie ipad drawing, but when used with the photo for reference, should be good enough. I added 2x4s on the bottom front and back inside the 4x4 legs to help hold the front and back bottom shelf board. Those two were cut at about 31" to fit between legs.

Hope you find this helpful!

My Wife keeps pointing at the stair risers for outdoor shelves. I will make a corner variation on your build when I get to making proper setups here. Thanks for the input ;)

Grimmy

This is a great idea!! I recently started in bonsai and wanted to give my trees a place to get some good sun and have a little protection from the rain when it gets to heavy. I went a little different route with my project and built a large table that could double as an outdoor dining table if you ever needed it for such. The top surface is a little over 6 feet long and its a little over 2 and a half feet wide with gaps between the boards to allow for the trees to drain freely. There is also a make shift shelf under the table where I can put the trees when the weather gets a little harsh like it frequently does in the summer down here in florida. It cost a little more to put together, $140 including wood, screws and brackets for extra support, but was definitely worth it.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 86
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for the reference pic Larz. That is enough to get me on my way. I will build one this winter while I am anxiously awaiting Spring to come along....it will give me something to scratch the itch with.

Purchased the materials this past weekend and am looking forward to getting started on construction. Thanks.

Purchased the materials this past weekend and am looking forward to getting started on construction. Thanks.

A fun project, I used a 3 step stringer and went with a 48" width.

Attachments

• Bench_Final.jpg
    Bench_Final.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom