Styling a Sylvester

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think once your tree is growing on much more healthy, the stronger apex candles will tell the tale have a heavier more blunt "cap" to the candle...unless you begin reducing to become a cascade.

Wrong guage but your wiring looks good otherwise. 👍
Only saw one crossed wire.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, i have also been told about using the double flush technique on single flush pines (scots's pines) to enduce backbudding.
But was told to only do this once every few years and only when the tree is very strong. So you would have to work and build towards this;
build up the energy in the tree for a couple of years with the single flush pinching technique (tree has to be in a little development container, no repotting during the years as this will weaken it again).
When the tree is very vigorous, don't pinch, but decandle and it should give an explosion of buds. The timing is very crucial.

At the Museum today and spoke with the Curator about Scots technique. Seems there is a technique as described above….Infrequently done if tree is robust and healthy.

Not used here.

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good luck!.

Do not know anything about using the double flush method on a single flush pine.

Between the work we do here and as a weekly volunteer at a local bonsai museum we have never tried this. However the techniques used produce consistently positive and predictable results at both sites. But they do take a 2-3 years to do so and start producing marked results.

Older trees it’s sometimes better to graft time wise,

Good luck

cheers
DSD sends
I have neighbors on the corner who appear to have two mugos on wither side of their house that may have very well been there for 30-50 years. Not tons of movement in truth ks, but impressive even growth and trunks the size of a torso. I've considered night ops, but they might know it's me as I'm the only house with an abundance of conifers and a vibrant garden. Would solve the graft issue 😃

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here’s one of the SP trees at PBM Yesterday.

IMG_1244.jpeg

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom