Spruce Repot for Science!

MaxChavez

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

Today went for a top down half bare root on a clearance spruce. It was robust with lots of roots top to bottom in the nursery can. As so many things are, here in the PNW, the core was solid Willammette mud/clay. Since I didnt have any specific plan for the tree, I thought it would be a good candidate for a trial.
I put a small amount of organic soil+Pumice around the bottom, but generally left the bottom 2/3 of the root ball intact. At the top, I raked and then sprayed all the mud away from the top 3 inches, or so.
The idea will be that the top fills with nice fine roots, then next repot, I can trim the top 4-5inches off, and easily get rid of the rest of the field soil.

Maybe controversial, but the intent is to document the progress. Please chime in if you've had success or failure with this technique in conifers.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 20240321_113938.jpg
    20240321_113938.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240321_113923.jpg
    20240321_113923.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 60

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!

Top down reporting has worked well for JBP and we are testing on Coastal and Dawn Redwoods that are just about grown out for bonsai use..

So far the biggest item we’ve seen is the Dawn is such a water hog that even a deciduous bonsai media on top will not hold enough water during the hotter part of the summer to keep the tree going well. Suspect the Coastal are a bit parched as their growth was a bit stunted last year….

Likely will pull each tree soon and prune the lower roots and add more akadama to the media. Then prune back the tops to reduce water use. Next year should be in good shape.

As far as spruce goes, I’d say add extra aladama to the mix from the gitgo.

Cheers
DSD sends

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I always work Spruce from the bottom up - That way you don't get soppy wet soil in the bottom as the top will dry quickly and I usually saw the bottom part off what I find the nebari flare. Then leave about 1/2 the native soil depending on if its nice loamy or hard clay. Just so you know spruce can be a little tricky with repots.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hello,

Today went for a top down half bare root on a clearance spruce. It was robust with lots of roots top to bottom in the nursery can. As so many things are, here in the PNW, the core was solid Willammette mud/clay. Since I didnt have any specific plan for the tree, I thought it would be a good candidate for a trial.
I put a small amount of organic soil+Pumice around the bottom, but generally left the bottom 2/3 of the root ball intact. At the top, I raked and then sprayed all the mud away from the top 3 inches, or so.
The idea will be that the top fills with nice fine roots, then next repot, I can trim the top 4-5inches off, and easily get rid of the rest of the field soil.

Maybe controversial, but the intent is to document the progress. Please chime in if you've had success or failure with this technique in conifers.
Cheers!
Nice tree!
I’ll be following your results/findings.
I’ve had terrible results working spruce roots, so I’m very interesting in this methodology.
Only my birds nest spruces seem to recover.
🤣

MaxChavez

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!

Top down reporting has worked well for JBP and we are testing on Coastal and Dawn Redwoods that are just about grown out for bonsai use..

So far the biggest item we’ve seen is the Dawn is such a water hog that even a deciduous bonsai media on top will not hold enough water during the hotter part of the summer to keep the tree going well. Suspect the Coastal are a bit parched as their growth was a bit stunted last year….

Likely will pull each tree soon and prune the lower roots and add more akadama to the media. Then prune back the tops to reduce water use. Next year should be in good shape.

As far as spruce goes, I’d say add extra aladama to the mix from the gitgo.

Cheers
DSD sends
Thanks for the info!
When you had success, did you let them grow 2 full seasons?
Maybe I'll sneak some more akadama in there now. And also moss it over. Thanks for the tip

MaxChavez

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree!
I’ll be following your results/findings.
I’ve had terrible results working spruce roots, so I’m very interesting in this methodology.
Only my birds nest spruces seem to recover.
🤣
Thanks! I'm new to spruce, so it's all a bit of an experiment at this point. I also repotted 3 other spruces this week, with a more traditional approach, so this will be an interesting side by side. Though, those 3 were collected trees, so not exactly Apples to apples.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Best of luck. Actually haven’t much issues repotting spruces normally at all, but only have done Black Hills and Ezo spruces here.

In the second full year. Will be pulling at least 2 of the 4 out and checking for upper root progress and replace the top media with a more water retentive. Also will up pot if can find nursery containers big enough! They are already in pretty big nursery pots.

cheers
DSD sends

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You might find this presentation relevant:

Tom Fincel says that he has been 100% successful with this technique and can completely remove field soil from field grown trees within two years. I don't recall exactly what species are in the video but it's entirely conifers

MaxChavez

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You might find this presentation relevant:

Tom Fincel says that he has been 100% successful with this technique and can completely remove field soil from field grown trees within two years. I don't recall exactly what species are in the video but it's entirely conifers
Indeed, that was the source of inspiration. Thanks for linking the video for others!

Top Bottom