Blue Spruce from Box Store, Prune or Repot first

RoneKiln

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I am trying to post pics now, but not being the most tech savvy, please be patient if this takes a few tries. Also please forgive my poor photography skills.

Testing

406994680.jpg

RoneKiln

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Well, that seems to have worked. That first pic above is how it came in the pot.
Here's a few more.

This is the solid chunk of clay it came in. I've done natural clay plaster work before, and I can tell you it's very difficult to make a clay plaster this hard on purpose. Wherever this tree came from, I'd love to use the clay there for more than a few plaster projects I have in mind.

406994684.jpg

Here it is post partial repotting. The red stick in front of it is 18 inches for scale.

406994686.jpg

My photography skills are not up to showing off what I like about this tree. Nor am I sure I could quantify why it appeals to me. My Dad loved it too. The trunk appears to be well suited to either be fairly upright or more slanted, depending on what we do with it when we fully repot it in a few years (currently I imagine keeping it slanted). That's far enough away that I'm not worried about making the decision of what to do with it.

A week and a half later it seems to still be happy. Though I know it can take a few months for poor health to show. So I'll have a better idea at the end of summer. Right now it's sitting in the shade where it gets a fair amount of light sun filtered through some trees.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I think I exposed just enough roots for it to get water and breathe, and got a much more breathable soil around it. It's taken a pounding, but much less so than if you all hadn't given me some good warnings. If nothing else, it was quite a learning experience and I'll do much better with future trees.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is a nice tree. One thing you that is very important in regards to styling this tree. This material looks like it does have bonsai potential. However, given the species and the structure of the tree. It will take a very experienced bonsai artist to pull a nice, initial bonsai design from this. Failure to have the experience, could lead to this tree ended up looking quite awful and subsequently dying shortly after. One would not only need aethetic bonsai experience, but also a good understanding of how, when and where to prune this tree. I highly recommend seeking out a club. Even if you find a good teacher and have to do a private tutorial that might run you like $100, it might be worth it.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You know what really might help more than you might think would be a close up of the tag. It obviously has information that could be significant.

RoneKiln

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It'll be a week or two before I'm back down there, but I'll look at the tag again next time I visit them.

Top Bottom