Species Study - Crataegus aestivalis

The. Substrate and pot and ambient conditions . Dictate watering schedule. There are those that don’t like DE . For multiple reasons . But that’s a different discussion . In all honesty I can not see how . The same water schedule can be used .for trees in a very high concentration organic mix . That retains a lot of water . And the 3 part mix you used . Plus the pond basket adds a further drying element . Coarse soil promotes oxygenated substrate . But requires more frequent watering . As you know . Pond baskets were first used ( in bonsai ) by amateurs in Japan growing shohin and mane trees . To develop established trees where they could water and fertilize heavily . Tree nurseries use mostly organic soil . Because it’s cheap and requires less labour to make and less labour to water . All about cost .
In my case I can only reliably water once per day hence the need for a wetter soil mix. Once I get my watering system done that will change. Note that I didn’t say that the pond basket don’t work. It just doesn’t work well for my circumstance.

In my case I can only reliably water once per day hence the need for a wetter soil mix. Once I get my watering system done that will change. Note that I didn’t say that the pond basket don’t work. It just doesn’t work well for my circumstance.
I was not trying to be critical of your technique. ( when I re read what I wrote thought it sounded bad ) I apologize . Just trying to help with the diag of the concern . I am amazed at the success you get collecting compared to up north . I have same water problem can water twice a day but have some trees in development that am thinking no way they survive in a small pot . Like you going to have to go to a system . In a way I like the new no pump gravity systems avail less to go wrong. After all looking for a supplement . Not a replacement . Also surprised in your climate you don’t have cooked roots with the organic soil . I have seen it up here . But northern trees are susceptible to there roots being to hot . Another advantage of coarse soil . Think of it this way Water in organic soil pot gets hot 🥵 . Water holds a lot of heat roots boil . You go can’t need water soil not dry . Coarse soil water gone . Dry soil retains very little heat . Fresh water cools plant . Problem is ov coarse need to water more often

Nebari pattern of May hawthorn.
All my Mayhaw were collected from a large grove. A majority of them grew from root spread from another tree. For this reason half of them have incomplete nebari. The side of the tree facing the mother tree have an inward curve even though there is a sizeable root underneath that connects to the mother tree. Here are some examples
Beautiful front side and a curve in back side with large root connecting to mother tree.
1679488446210.png

Same thing with this tree. In this picture the curve in is more pronounced and the root to mother tree is hidden below the soil.
1679488541295.png

Nebari pattern of May hawthorn.
All my Mayhaw were collected from a large grove. A majority of them grew from root spread from another tree. For this reason half of them have incomplete nebari. The side of the tree facing the mother tree have an inward curve even though there is a sizeable root underneath that connects to the mother tree. Here are some examples
Beautiful front side and a curve in back side with large root connecting to mother tree.
View attachment 477981

Same thing with this tree. In this picture the curve in is more pronounced and the root to mother tree is hidden below the soil.
View attachment 477982
You can readily see how the nebari is developed by looking at these new shoots on a big root. 39C4F2E3-B7DC-411B-B5B4-277DDBF4046A.jpeg
1FDDA441-48F5-4AB0-B1FD-C3DDA8025267.jpeg

I moved one out of a pond basket to a pot today. While the tree was relatively healthy, the amount of roots formed was far below what I expected. I was going to repot three but stopped after the first. I am to wait to make sure the tree survived the move. Btw the trunk is about the size of a cola can.
958816B8-99D7-4BF6-8FF1-B18D496AB2FF.jpeg

Saw this article while searching for mayhaw airlayer.
"
Propagation:
I found one source that stated most Mayhaws seed will grow true to type almost all the time… this means that a seed from one plant will grow a plant which will produce fruit just like its mother. This is not true with a number of fruit trees like apples, pears, cherries, etc. This is great news for us as it simplifies propagation. Mayhaw can be propagated from seed – needs 12 weeks cold stratification for germination (the natural overwintering), but germination can take up to 18 months. This is a seed that is best to plant in Autumn immediately from ripe fruit as this will recreate the ideal conditions for germination. Softwood cuttings, hardwood cuttings, and root cuttings are also possible."

There is no mention of airlayer. @Cajunrider Have you try one? Worth a try when you back at the farm? I probably will try some soft wood cuttings as many of the limbs has really take off and need a trimming.

Saw this article while searching for mayhaw airlayer.
"
Propagation:
I found one source that stated most Mayhaws seed will grow true to type almost all the time… this means that a seed from one plant will grow a plant which will produce fruit just like its mother. This is not true with a number of fruit trees like apples, pears, cherries, etc. This is great news for us as it simplifies propagation. Mayhaw can be propagated from seed – needs 12 weeks cold stratification for germination (the natural overwintering), but germination can take up to 18 months. This is a seed that is best to plant in Autumn immediately from ripe fruit as this will recreate the ideal conditions for germination. Softwood cuttings, hardwood cuttings, and root cuttings are also possible."

There is no mention of airlayer. @Cajunrider Have you try one? Worth a try when you back at the farm? I probably will try some soft wood cuttings as many of the limbs has really take off and need a trimming.
Air layer is easy but I have no need to do so.
Softwood cutting is done all the time at in the nursery trade as I mentioned before in this thread.

Air layer is easy but I have no need to do so.
Softwood cutting is done all the time at in the nursery trade as I mentioned before in this thread.
Thank you Uncle! Will have to give that a try then.

Or yoi can pay me and get a 20 yr old one delivered to Houston this Friday. Save a lot of time 😁
Uncle, Are you coming to Houston this Friday. Come on by am sure there is something you will like at Unlimited Trees Inc. that we can arrange. This offer is good for your life time.

Uncle, Are you coming to Houston this Friday. Come on by am sure there is something you will like at Unlimited Trees Inc. that we can arrange. This offer is good for your life time.
Oops I meant Saturday. No time though. Once again my schedule is full. 49 days prayers for my friend at the temple then a get together afterward.

Pruning, wiring, and carving (in that order) 12 Mayhaw yesterday. They were all trees with decent trunk size. It was hard work with about 45 minutes spent on each tree. I went at it much harder than I had originally planned. Most trees were pruned practically down to nothing. I think I just did "Bonsai or die" on practically all my big Mayhaw stock.

Wiring took a bit longer because I had to strip the 12 gauge salvaged house wire for the task. The wiring was admittedly shoddy but so long as the branches were set near the angles I wanted, I was OK with it. The careful wiring will be needed once the next round of growth are in full swing. The branches will be pruned one more time once I see where the buds are on them.

With the exception of one really short tree, all the other trees will have their final height no more than a few inches above the chop and carving.

Last edited:
Thoughts on collection and repotting of Mayhaw.
Crataegus aestivalis continue to grow roots and flower buds throughout the winter months using the reserve of the trees. It is among the earliest trees to flower and fruit in the spring. In May where others are just starting to show fruits, Mayhaws are already ready to be picked. For this reason, Mayhaw can be collected or repotted in my area in late summer or early fall. Trees that are collected in late summer or early fall will skip the flowering and fruiting cycle in the spring. It will use the energy reserve to build roots and new shoots. I believe this is true for zone 8 and 9. I will test out zone 7 when I move to PA.

Right after the repotting, pruning and wiring of Mayhaws, the trees responded with new buds. Living in Louisiana with lots of ants around, this is a critical time for spraying for aphids. The fire ants rush to the new buds and lay down aphids to farm them. I have learned not to use Neem oil because the hot sun in Louisiana in combination with Neem oil will kill the tender buds even in weak concentration. I wind up misting the trees with diluted Bifenthrin. All my buds are healthy.

Back
Top Bottom