So-Cal Bonsai destinations, advice.

I was driving north to northeast of Malibu once a few years ago. Well east of Thousand Oaks….toward the Hidden Hills area. Over the hills and through the rocky wooded areas for several miles and landed in a community, a culture group really, that seemed stuck in time…or they literally banded together and stayed in one timeline. I landed in what could best be described as a hippie community from the 1960s. Complete with the loose cotton shirts, beads, rope belts, worn leather sandals, headbands, music playing, relaxed…and….wow man, are you from the city? It looked like they just left Woodstock and created a town. I wish I could remember the location name. Definitely fit the title of a blast from the past. Time stood still there.
Topanga Canyon

Last edited:
If you're taking the 5 to go to Yosemite we're about a 10 minute detour. We're open Monday and Saturday to the public and any other time by appointment which are easy to make with a days notice. In the greater L.A. area we have Yamaguchi Nursery, Chikugo-en, House of Bonsai, Bonsai Jidai, Eastern Leaf, California Bonsai Studio and us Kimura Bonsai. Feel free to message me if you'd like other suggestions. One note distances on a map mean nothing when it comes to travel time- sometimes 60 miles take 50 minutes others 2 hours. The freeways may be 6 lanes but there are 10 lanes worth of cars on them.

If you're taking the 5 to go to Yosemite we're about a 10 minute detour. We're open Monday and Saturday to the public and any other time by appointment which are easy to make with a days notice. In the greater L.A. area we have Yamaguchi Nursery, Chikugo-en, House of Bonsai, Bonsai Jidai, Eastern Leaf, California Bonsai Studio and us Kimura Bonsai. Feel free to message me if you'd like other suggestions. One note distances on a map mean nothing when it comes to travel time- sometimes 60 miles take 50 minutes others 2 hours. The freeways may be 6 lanes but there are 10 lanes worth of cars on them.
All of the locations around the greater Los Angeles area are excellent. I’ve been to most of them. Together they offer a nice wide range of bonsai and pre bonsai material, as well as bonsai supplies.

I was driving north to northeast of Malibu once a few years ago. Well east of Thousand Oaks….toward the Hidden Hills area. Over the hills and through the rocky wooded areas for several miles and landed in a community, a culture group really, that seemed stuck in time…or they literally banded together and stayed in one timeline. I landed in what could best be described as a hippie community from the 1960s. Complete with the loose cotton shirts, beads, rope belts, worn leather sandals, headbands, music playing, relaxed…and….wow man, are you from the city? It looked like they just left Woodstock and created a town. I wish I could remember the location name. Definitely fit the title of a blast from the past. Time stood still there.
I haven't heard of that, but it doesn't surprise me too much. Very cool!

Bob Pressler, @bonsaibp a long time California resident and superior bonsai developer, identified the location name I couldn’t recall. Topanga Canyon. It truly is a place to kick back and relax. You kinda have to see it to believe it. If you’re ever going to be in Southern California send Bob a message here or on his website. He has a fantastic bonsai store. Pre-bonsai, Almost-bonsai and superior Finished-bonsai. He regularly shares his knowledge and is always willing to help. A good friend in California to know. Http://www.kimurabonsainursery.com

Topanga canyon is a trip! Definitely a fun place. Thought hot as hades in summer.

Edited: whoops! Just saw the recommendations.

I miss Santa Monica.

You should check out The Huntington Library, and see their Bonsai and Penjing displays. California Bonsai Studio has good pre-bonsai material for sale, and my sensei David Nguy is a little over an hour away from there, but he has an amazing collection and pretty much everything you could want for sale.

As far as bonsai, @Ruddigger hit the main ones. Huntington Library is beautiful and you could easily spend a whole day there between all of the non-bonsai gardens and bonsai/penjing displays.
Thanks for the advice. We didn't get to go to many bonsai locations, but we did go the Huntington and it was awesome! Saw lots of great Bonsai and beautiful gardens. :)

PXL_20230608_184336994 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom