Shohin crabapple with fruit

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Think this was one of the first threads that brought me to the forum as a lurker:)

at around the time, i had a shohin crab apple. i got a lot of inspiration from this tree, through seeing it in the google searches.

Nice little crab you have there! great progression:cool:

Thanks Bobby! This is one right up your alley with all the carving. It wasn't until I did it, that I started to like this tree. I need to rework that area again, but at the moment focused on developing a more ramified framework. After that I will then rework some areas and let it fruit once again. I also like to find a nice pot for it. It has been in a plastic pot for a few years now.

Last edited:

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm another fan of your lovely crabapple. How inspiring! I'm itching to go hunting...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For a while I put this little crabapple in open ground and forgot about it. I let Mother Nature work her magic on it for a while. I would prune it back once in a while but not much else. This spring I decided it was ready to go back into a beautiful pot by Yuuki Ceramics from Spain.

As it was in the field in early March.

IMG_0937 copy.jpg

And now back in a pot in mid April.

IMG_3233 copy.jpg

IMG_3235 copy.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What kind of cultivar is it ? Have you ever had problems w pets or fungus?

No idea what it is. No issues with pests or fungus ever with this tree. When it was in open ground, the crabapples would get eaten by animals.... perhaps rodents??

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No idea what it is. No issues with pests or fungus ever with this tree. When it was in open ground, the crabapples would get eaten by animals.... perhaps rodents??
Got it , whoops meant pests. Hmm I wonder if it’s a Donald Wyman cultivar flowers too similar to it and it’s a pretty resistant strain to fungal or pest issues

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
lovely. I find that for shohin even more than larger trees the pot combination is soooo important to get right, and this one is Perfection!

Agree Judy. Extremely important in the shohin category.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is so charming, this year is even better with more flowers and the pink buds. Makes me want to do another crab....

Yes looks much better now that is fuller. It needed a little time to adjust going from the field back into a pot. Evidence of the care we can give our trees as bonsai can exceed what they can do on their own.

Goodbrake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For a while I put this little crabapple in open ground and forgot about it. I let Mother Nature work her magic on it for a while. I would prune it back once in a while but not much else. This spring I decided it was ready to go back into a beautiful pot by Yuuki Ceramics from Spain.

As it was in the field in early March.

View attachment 482965

And now back in a pot in mid April.

View attachment 482966

View attachment 482968

View attachment 482969
What's the process like for transferring something like this from the ground to such a small pot? Did you do periodic root work while it was in the ground?

Top Bottom