Sakadama

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good day. A couple years ago I got turned on to Sakadama. It is not Akadama, and I am not making an argument for one or the other. Personally, I find Sakadama works exceedingly well for me but now I can't find it. Superfly sold it but last year they did not have it and this year they are apparently having problems. Has anyone here used it and would you know where it can be found?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some professionals dropped a bunch of devastating reviews. So I think they quit their business.
The akadama we're getting here is shit. So I've been looking for sakadama as a water retentive particle too. But it's all unavailable.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some professionals dropped a bunch of devastating reviews. So I think they quit their business.
The akadama we're getting here is shit. So I've been looking for sakadama as a water retentive particle too. But it's all unavailable.
Any particular brand letting you down? Some of the commonly available stuff ive seen is often quite soft and dusty. Ive just bought some double-line, looks ok. Hardest, cleanest and most resilient particles I've had are from Ibuki out of Poland (they offer 2 or 3 levels of hardness) and here in the UK the hardest is recommended. Not too expensive to ship (even with the brexit issue)

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sakadama still seems to be in business they just don’t have any importers to the US. Their website is still active and they have dealers in a lot of European countries and even Mexico. Maybe you could sign on as an importer.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At any rate, its a real shame we can't get it here any longer. Americans can really dig their heels in with likes and dislikes and we can be pretty damn stubborn with a distrust for new things. I did try it and liked it a whole lot better than an Akadama I have tried.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I tried this product and it is not fired akadama, it is a type of fullers earth that has been calcined, the particles in my batches were smaller than at typical bag of akadama and flat ish rather than rounder.

It held to much water when using straight but didn't break down over the winter, it did puff up in the pot when frozen.

My conclusion was it is expensive kitty litter and tested comparatively the same, it can be used as a part of a mix in my climate but i think there are other very similar products sold for different purposes like cleaning up spillages that are cheaper hear and easier to source.

all info is available on there website links below

Last edited:

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When I was researching sakadama, my two problems were the hyperbolic claims (maybe this is that trust thing you mentioned at work, but I hate an over the top sales pitch) and that it really wasn’t that much less expensive than akadama, at least on the west coast.

It’s also worth noting that many of the poor reviews were from professionals operating at a high level. Clearly, there’s a different standard at play. If sakadama was marketed as a cheaper alternative to akadama, rather than a superior alternative, I think it may have done better in the states. There’s clearly a market for the former, as evidenced by the popularity of things like calcined clay and diatomaceous earth, but it would be hard to cut it in the latter unless you had something truly special.

I would love more options, but unless they’re produced locally, it will be very hard to compete with akadama economically.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My results in the USA were all positive. Certainly it was not flattened at all and rounder but coarse round, not smooth round like akadama. If I could get it now, I would be using it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think I have a half full (or more) bag you could have. I can check my shed in the morning. I did some experimenting and didn't like the results so haven't used the rest of it. If you want it you can have it just for the cost of shipping.

Edit to add: Just went out and looked, because apparently I can check my shed at night too, it's essentially a full bag. One almost full bag and another almost empty one. Yours if you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom