Sad maple!!!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like root issues. What is the original root ball in before you added inorganics?

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
It was organic with sand too. When i girst recived it

1000000051.jpg

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
Rootball after it fropped and i potted it back with a micro mix from bonsai supply. (Filling only the edges of the pot with new soil. Keeping some of the old) like i said i also never cut the roots i just teased a small amount free.1000000559.jpg

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
As you can see huge growth difference vs its first spring with me so I know something is wrong but I'm glad it did grow back at all

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks (from the photo) like it is currently planted in a very large particle lava and pumice. My maples would dry out here in PA if I put them in a soil like that. Being somewhere as hot as you are it probably appreciated the more organic/moisture retentive soil that it was in when you got it

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
It looks (from the photo) like it is currently planted in a very large particle lava and pumice. My maples would dry out here in PA if I put them in a soil like that. Being somewhere as hot as you are it probably appreciated the more organic/moisture retentive soil that it was in when you got it
Most likely did. I want to be clear the pot it's in now that I threw together to save it... is mixed size soil and that has me worried too about over watering/underwatering... micro filling the entire thing basically

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
Current.

Attachments

• 20240331_101103.jpg
    20240331_101103.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 17

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most likely did. I want to be clear the pot it's in now that I threw together to save it... is mixed size soil and that has me worried too about over watering/underwatering... micro filling the entire thing basically

Chopstick trick: get a wood or bamboo chopstick, skewer, whatever, and stab it into the soil, all the way to the bottom of the pot. Leave it there as a sort of dipstick to check soil moisture. Pull it out and check at least every morning and evening, then stick it back in the same hole it was in. Water just before the stick is completely dry.

This can help you learn the needs of the tree, and how your soil is working out for it. Seems simple, but total game changer when I finally put it into practice.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i potted it back with a micro mix from bonsai supply. (Filling only the edges of the pot with new soil. Keeping some of the old)
And this might very well be the cause of your problem.
The water will mostly run off on the side, through the coarse mix, and the core of the rootball remains dry. Next to this, the boundary between new substate and old substrate is dificult for roots to bridge, certainly if the roots are not stable in the pot.

Do you have someone with experience in your area?
Slowly, as you provide more information, it becomes clear that you do have a rootbal issue, and not a stability issue. If it were in my garden I would do a full but gentle repot. SOmething which is risky in itself, particularly if you are inexperienced.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The water will mostly run off on the side, through the coarse mix, and the core of the rootball remains dry. Next to this, the boundary between new substate and old substrate is dificult for roots to bridge, certainly if the roots are not stable in the pot.

Slowly, as you provide more information, it becomes clear that you do have a rootbal issue, and not a stability issue. If it were in my garden I would do a full but gentle repot. SOmething which is risky in itself, particularly if you are inexperienced.

Exactly what I was thinking. Considering the recent repot, I doubt youd be disturbing too much to do a better repot job. Follow it with very good aftercare and you should make it.

Remove whatever soil you can easily remove, repot it into the new soil you have but maybe mix in some finely chopped sphagnum to add water retention or something retentive available in your area. Id like to hear some others thoughts on this though.

Then move to a spot where it gets morning sun and late sun (7am - 10am and 4pm to sunset). Perhaps make a humidity dome of some sort as well to help it along until you see new groath appear.

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
Okay this is what I was concerned about.... I have two soils ready to go. From bonsai supply micro and 1/4. I'm thinking micro but the pot is pretty large about inches

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
Some shots of the growth currently.... I'll wait for more opinions before I do another repot1000001252.jpg1000001253.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You could also cover the soil surface with sphagnum to hold in a little extra moisture and dunk the whole pot to water. I would be iffy about a repot this late. Also, as stressed above…. Wire that sucker in, that is a very important step

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Don't repot since it's already leafed out. Just watch your watering frequency. Report next Spring before the buds open up.

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score

Slowly, as you provide more information, it becomes clear that you do have a rootbal issue, and not a stability issue. If it were in my garden I would do a full but gentle repot. SOmething which is risky in itself, particularly if

You could also cover the soil surface with sphagnum to hold in a little extra moisture and dunk the whole pot to water. I would be iffy about a repot this late. Also, as stressed above…. Wire that sucker in, that is a very important step
Not able to tie it down tried a few methods and nothing worked good enough

Top Bottom