Sad maple!!!

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
Look for advice to save my japanese maple.

I purchased this tree from an old lady who never pruned shoots until end of the growing season and it looked beautiful.

I received it in June and and it fell to the floor in July. I put it back in its pot with a little fresh inorganic soil and hoped for the best.

It did lose leaves all summer but grew buds and never did anything else so I was worried.

This spring it is alive and kicking its got some die back but today it feel out of the pot again.... I feel defeated now is the tree salvageable? I never did root work on it it ive just been trying to bring it back to health.

I went ahead and put in into a larger pot and throw in some soil from other plants to save it.

What now? Should I buy soil and change the soil again to make the particle size consistent, I was in a rush and did a botch job. The picture is the end result micro particles and 1/4 onto top and randomly inside

Attachments

• 5e9c6570-a149-40b1-b56e-5f37ddb42c6c.jpg
    5e9c6570-a149-40b1-b56e-5f37ddb42c6c.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 138

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
Atlanta , GA 8A Morning sun only and protected from wind and watered only when needed

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is the tree secured it to the pot with wire and put it in a place where it won’t get knocked over? Your care plan should work. It should be ok with that soil as long as you water it right. Did you chopstick the soil to ensure all the air pockets are out of it? Also some moss on top of the soil will help retain moisture and encourage the new roots to grow up to the soil surface.

Also, welcome to the nut house!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Look for advice to save my japanese maple.

I purchased this tree from an old lady who never pruned shoots until end of the growing season and it looked beautiful.

I received it in June and and it fell to the floor in July. I put it back in its pot with a little fresh inorganic soil and hoped for the best.

It did lose leaves all summer but grew buds and never did anything else so I was worried.

This spring it is alive and kicking its got some die back but today it feel out of the pot again.... I feel defeated now is the tree salvageable? I never did root work on it it ive just been trying to bring it back to health.

I went ahead and put in into a larger pot and throw in some soil from other plants to save it.

What now? Should I buy soil and change the soil again to make the particle size consistent, I was in a rush and did a botch job. The picture is the end result micro particles and 1/4 onto top and randomly inside

You need to wire the tree into the pot.

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and I did you a chopstick for air pockets... I have soil coming and everyone is saying to wire it in should I just repot it again?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you can run wires through the holes in the pot without removing the tree, that would be ideal, since it's a bit late for a repot when your tree already has leaves. If you can't wire the tree in without removing it from the pot, then just do your best to disturb the roots as little as possible.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Falling out of the pot is not a death sentence and won't usually affect the health of the tree long term.
I'd be looking for other reasons your tree is having troubles. Mostly this comes back to watering problems and sometimes that's compounded by the tree being totally root bound. From the look of those leaves I think you've missed the window for proper repotting this year so you'll need to look for other ways to make sure it gets the correct moisture levels through summer.
Trees can be tied into the pot by simply running wire or cord around the pot and over the roots. Doesn't look particularly elegant but works and saves disturbing the tree again at the wrong time of year trying to get wires up through the drain holes, soil and roots.

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
So I'm keeping it in my unheated garage right at the front to protect from wind and to receive only morning sun. I'm just focusing on watering right now until I can repot lightly on autumn. Thanks for all the suggestions I appreciate the knowledge

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. Wire the tree to the pot somehow so it doesnt fall out.
2. Wait til next year to repot.
3. In a month or so, start giving the tree a balanced fertilizer through about august or sept to build strength for next year.
4. Research proper care for acer palmatum.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
why?
Just make sure you fix it to the pot.
Then move it outside.
Yeah, youre in GA... Im in new jersey and all my maples are outside right now starting to flush out. Time to transition trees to outside.

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
It's leafs are abnormal and I leave the garage door open I figure better wind protection and light control. Maybe I'm over doing it but I don't want to welcome pest to an already sick tree.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wind isnt a problem once the tree is wired into the pot. Wind isnt an issue in non freezing temps. Wind actually is good. It helps branches grow stronger and sturdy. It might also prevent some pests from attacking the tree.

Youre more likely to have pests inside where the tree isnt getting the light it should be getting and natural wind and elements. It looks thin and skimpy because the tree hasnt been getting good sunlight. You need sun to get back buds to cut back to.

I think you need to tie it down, move it outside, fertilize all summer, and then repot next spring.

humanafterall

Seedling
Reaction score
Mhmmm I hear you. I had it in a sunny spot at the very start of bud break and the leafs where so small still and dried out in two days. The growth it has was me keeping it in the shade up until the drop.

Maybe I didn't water enough but I figured maybe to much light Was the culprit.... I water every morning till it runs out rom the bottom so 🤷

Top Bottom