rough stock options-wadya think

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Took a shot of a large inground larch that I am thinking of digging up come spring. Please contribute with design suggestions. Some options: kill off L trunk, save L trunk reduce to lowest point, remove everything on R except 2nd lowest thick branch, throw in brush chipper...etc etc.
20161201_124351[1].jpg

Took a shot of a large inground larch that I am thinking of digging up come spring. Please contribute with design suggestions. Some options: kill off L trunk, save L trunk reduce to lowest point, remove everything on R except 2nd lowest thick branch, throw in brush chipper...etc etc.
View attachment 126090
Since you mentioned it....killing off the left trunk....jinning it nicely, would make the right trunk look as if it was leaning away from whatever killed the left trunk...imo.
I dig it!
It looks pretty gnarly from here, whatever you do...definitely take it.

Since you mentioned it....killing off the left trunk....jinning it nicely, would make the right trunk look as if it was leaning away from whatever killed the left trunk...imo.
I dig it!
It looks pretty gnarly from here, whatever you do...definitely take it.
It's in my growing garden and has been for years, frozen solid being its 5 below out there.

Are there roots that are better on one side or another? Nice material Norbilly!! I see you have a bunch of others in the ground waiting to be something!! I want some land to have that opportunity!

Very nice material! I have just created a virtual image of what I would aim for if it was my tree. Tilt the tree about 60 degrees clockwise, jin the lowest right side branch. Carve away some of the left trunk to make it less bulky and it already has deadwood.

What do you think of this idea? I have no clue whether or not it would be possible with the roots on this tree. :)

BonsaiNutIdea.jpg

Regards from Denmark,
Henrik

Very nice material! I have just created a virtual image of what I would aim for if it was my tree. Tilt the tree about 60 degrees clockwise, jin the lowest right side branch. Carve away some of the left trunk to make it less bulky and it already has deadwood.

What do you think of this idea? I have no clue whether or not it would be possible with the roots on this tree. :)

BonsaiNutIdea.jpg

Regards from Denmark,
Henrik
Very nice!

What do you think of this idea? I have no clue whether or not it would be possible with the roots on this tree.

You know this is not trash pile tree:eek:! Great potential and below is great idea and great pot idea from wonderful inspired pot maker who can custom make pot for whatever roots:D

BonsaiNutIdea.jpg

What do you think of this idea?
Very creative idea, I like it very much. It may take awhile to get the roots in check to plant it that way but if anyone knows what they are doing with Larch Crust does :).

It's in my growing garden and has been for years
I love seeing you post any of your trees, so please..... as a Christmas present to all of B-nut please keep it up. I am curious how you created this tree, I don't see any scars and it is certainly not the normal telephone pole Larch. How has it changed in your garden since you collected it?

No way I would lose a trunk at this time, I would train it as is and see how it comes along. Very unique.

At the proper time I would take this to a workshop with a good teacher, this tree will make everyone smile.

BonsaiNutIdea.jpg

Regards from Denmark,
Henrik
Such a cool idea! I bet it is possible. Thanks!

Very creative idea, I like it very much. It may take awhile to get the roots in check to plant it that way but if anyone knows what they are doing with Larch Crust does :).

I love seeing you post any of your trees, so please..... as a Christmas present to all of B-nut please keep it up. I am curious how you created this tree, I don't see any scars and it is certainly not the normal telephone pole Larch. How has it changed in your garden since you collected it?
Hack and grow--started from something runty and has been in the garden for many years. Was set back by borers one year.

That is some interesting material, but I wonder if you are limiting your design possibilities by only looking at the tree from this one perspective?... I'm sure you've looked at others and the shape of the tree is imbedded in your mind's eye; I just think there might be a better way to go... having said that, the roots are going to dictate what you ultimately do. (IMHO or course)

Back
Top Bottom