rooting hormone powder - cuttings

Grim, would you use this to help root an air layer as well?

Yes indeed! Also that is all we ever used so I cannot tell you if anything is better or worse. I find it pretty cool that Dario uses powder with honey to make a paste but I will continue with the gel as it easy and quick.

Grimmy

I can't help but ask: red, yellow, green, or sweet vidalia. Or any darn onion lol. Interesting, thanks!

I have pictures of some top professionals using onion...but with close to 500 000 pictures on my PC can not find them.
Onion is good! Well that is my experience.
I remove 100s of airlayers done with onion in sand...I dont have moss here.

Thanks Neli. Those are HUGE! :eek:

Impressive results. I sure will try onion next month when the temps & conditions are right for the airlayer. I will use it on any cuttings I will get from now on too. :cool:

I find it awkward to accept using onions, potatoes, and any substance not made for the purpose. In my mind and the way I do any graft or layer I am VERY cautious to start with sterile tools and clean hands and I try not to introduce ANYTHING that could cause or contain unwanted fungus or disease. I am not saying it does not work just not my cup of tea. There was a time I tried homemade Willow Tea and it seemed ok but I was cautioned not to for those reasons.

Grimmy

I find it awkward to accept using onions, potatoes, and any substance not made for the purpose. In my mind and the way I do any graft or layer I am VERY cautious to start with sterile tools and clean hands and I try not to introduce ANYTHING that could cause or contain unwanted fungus or disease. I am not saying it does not work just not my cup of tea. There was a time I tried homemade Willow Tea and it seemed ok but I was cautioned not to for those reasons.

Grimmy

Grim,

Actually, honey, onions, & potato are supposed to also contain anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties and should protect the cutting/airlayer at the same time.

Unlike you, I am all for natural remedies when available. To each his own. :)

Grim,

Actually, honey, onions, & potato are supposed to also contain anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties and should protect the cutting/airlayer at the same time.

Unlike you, I am all for natural remedies when available. To each his own. :)

Understood but with all of the various food recalls in this country I tend to be not so trusting. Either way I use what I use and it works for me ;)

Grimmy

Understood but with all of the various food recalls in this country I tend to be not so trusting.
Not sure how that applies to honey, potato & onion. More likely to apply to the rooting hormone though. ;)

Either way I use what I use and it works for me ;)
That is perfectly normal and same here.

Human nature 101.
We FEAR what we cannot understand.
What we fear, we either stay away from or (more commonly) we destroy.

Last edited:
Would dry onion powder work? If not, then would it be a good idea to get a fresh onion bulb processed in a blender and rubbed on the air layer zone or cutting base? BTW, I once saw a video of a girl using willow extract for cuttings.

I have used the Nutone powder. I did 2 air layers on Japanese maples last year using it. One worked, the other failed.

Powder can be difficult to apply as a powder. I mix it with a little water to make a thick paste and apply it to the wound that way. It makes it stick better.

This year, I am going to try a large juniper cutting like Rob did with his San Jose and an airlayer on another. Im going to try the clonex gel for those.

I have a book about Woody Plant Propagation (forget the author) that some here also have that compares the success rate of different hormone treatments for different plants.

The gel sounds great, if it would coat and seal the wound that would be a bonus. Plus staying longer would be nice too, I always notice that after a few weeks the powder stuff has washed away.

ed

For sealing I am ordering a roll of this stuff Parafilm Grafting tape, it seems to have the same properties of medical parafilm, stretchy and sticks to itself if you want a dry seal. I usually q-tip on some elmers wood glue for a temporary seal if needed but I saw similar using parafilm in a video. If it behaves proper it will be a quick and neat application.

Grimmy

Thanks for confirming that. In some cases that will be a bit easier for me ;)

Grimmy

If it will make you even feel better...Kathy Shaner is the once who endorsed it and the reason I got some. It is good and works. :)

For sealing I am ordering a roll of this stuff Parafilm Grafting tape, it seems to have the same properties of medical parafilm, stretchy and sticks to itself if you want a dry seal. I usually q-tip on some elmers wood glue for a temporary seal if needed but I saw similar using parafilm in a video. If it behaves proper it will be a quick and neat application.

Grimmy

I also use this. When grafting on the side or anywhere I still have a gap I fill it with cut paste. Together they work great. And the tree can still grow with it because it stretches.

I have always used Saran wrap, it sticks to itself even when wetm stretches and is cheap and readily avaialable too. It holds up well too, I cover it with black plastic garbage bags usually.

ed

Grimmy

Grimmy, you would not seal the wound with parafilm. Normally you use a medium like sphagnum moss over the wound and the hormone to allow the roots to grow into, then you would wrap the medium to keep it moist.

ed

Grimmy, you would not seal the wound with parafilm. Normally you use a medium like sphagnum moss over the wound and the hormone to allow the roots to grow into, then you would wrap the medium to keep it moist.

ed
Just to clarify, I use the parafilm for grafting. It is a grafting tape.

ed

I was referring to the use of Parafilm for Grafts and in the mix I mentioned I use Clonex gel for both air layer and grafts. On the grafts they take well if kept dry and sealed. For air layers I use a method similar to what you described.

Grimmy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom