rooting hormone powder - cuttings

I have another thread where I show some trident cuttings. I used Hormex #8 that is had in my tool bag at least 5 years, probably closer to 10. Really I don't know if tridents just grow that easily from green cuttings or if the powder helped them along, but I have little trident sprouts everywhere now. I still I have a 1/3 of the 3/4 oz. container left. I am going to take some more Kishu cuttings this summer. That is one nice juniper.

I think the main thing is the after care and species and not necessarily the powder. I rooted a juniper trunk chop cutting with this old powder. The powder was around 6 or 7 years old. So it probably did nothing. This cutting is 3 times the size of normal juniper cuttings.

Rob

I took the cutting from this tree. I chopped off the top 1/3 or so.

Planted the cut off section in a grow pot.

Moved to a new pot. It will be able to be pruned and wired after 1 more year.
He! That is a serious cutting. I would not have even attempted it...I grow from tip cuttings...I am goung to try this too. Thanks for posting it.

Wow!

There is a key to all of these preperations and methods. That key is acid.

Nearly any acid can stimulate root growth in woody plants. Willows, long time stimulant for roots is because of salicyllic acid, that which aspirin is made of. The acid is named for the plant, willow = salix.

IBA, indole-3-butyric acid, Is a synthetic acid that was found to induce rooting in woody plants. This is found in many cloning powders.

IAA, indole-3-acetic acid, is found in potatoes, which also has been found to induce rooting in woody plants. In many countries potatoes are used to make vinegar, acetic acid, as well as the famous Wodka.

The onion contains many sulphur compounds while forming the bulb. When cutting an onion, the sulphur fumes mix with the water in the eyes which causes irratation and crying. The irratation is caused from the fumes making sulphuric acid in the eyes. When rubbing the wet cutting on the onion, one makes this acid which works like many acid auxins and stimulates roots.
Thanks for the good explanation.
One more observation:
In Japan RH powder is dissolved in water and a tissue applied soaked in it around the top cut of the airlayer.

How is saying it is not magic or bullshit it just works for me offensive to you? I know most compounds have similar qualities and I just find using one product that works for me might be of interest to others here. You can tear into my ass all you want, Gel is easier to work with, yields good results and that is my story and I am standing by it :p

Grimmy

I misunderstood you. It sounded to me like you thought our discussion was magic or bullshit.

How is saying it is not magic or bullshit it just works for me offensive to you? I know most compounds have similar qualities and I just find using one product that works for me might be of interest to others here. You can tear into my ass all you want, Gel is easier to work with, yields good results and that is my story and I am standing by it :p

Grimmy

I misunderstood you. It sounded to me like you thought our discussion was magic or bullshit.

Nah, and no problem.

Grimmy

Back
Top Bottom