Replacing Shoots With Different Cultivar

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anyone every do this? For example, can I take a plain JM and just graft all new branches from a more desired cultivar? Does this turn into a constant fight between new plain JM shoots and the grafted cultivar?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What would the purpose be? Faster trunk development?

I suspect you are right in that the dominate green maple would favor throwing its own shoots over pushing the cultivar

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it worked, I would expect to see it done more often. It's not uncommon for junipers, but I've never heard it done for maples, and I'm guessing there's a good reason why.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's done in Japan with pines--a "change of robes" is the term used, from thing's Ive read and heard. It's done mainly with conifers, as they are reluctant to backbud on old wood, which means there isn't a constant battle to keep the newly grafted limbs from being overtaken by the tree's original growth. All bets are off with deciduous species as they readily push new growth from everywhere, making it a constant struggle to contain them vs allowing the grafted limbs/shoots to strengthen and grow. Not worth the effort really.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It’s done a lot with fruit trees—you can buy trees that produce a different type of apple for example on each branch so don’t see why it could not be done with maples. As @rockm said you will need to remove stump sprouts from the old tree or they will replace the new grafted branches. This too is a common problem with nursery trees. I have a witch hazel that is constantly putting out new sprouts from the original stem.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many Japanese maples are grafted and many are shunned as bonsai subjects primarily, not because of the graft scar, but because of the difference in the bark color and texture between the cultivar and the host maple. This can be remedied by ground layering the base above the graft or taking cuttings or airlayers.Your trunk will be one color and all your grafted branches will be another all the way up the tree. If that's what you want it's easy enough to do.

Top Bottom