Replacing a trees roots

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A few years ago I read a story about a ancient japanes Sakura tree around 1000 years old that had begun to decline around 100 years ago. As it was a national treasure and upon the request of the emperor of Japan they took cuttings from the tree and grew many mature trees for the purpose of root grafting. A few springs later they dug trenches around the roots and grafted on many young cherries roots. The tree began to thrive again.

So I was thinking about species and vigor in general in regards to my possible move to the west coast. Could you take say a old ponderosa and graft japanes black pine roots onto it? Would it become more heat tolerant by doing this? Would grafting black pine foliage onto a ponderosa give it the heat tolerance of black pine? If so why not graft trident roots onto Japanese maples for better vigor? I would think of techniques like this were possible we'd be doing a lot more of it... After all no one ever sees a well done root graft as its below the soil line.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seems to me that the only reason not, is graft incompatability (the horticultural version of tissue rejection). But, we do know that JBP foliage can be grafted on Ponderosa, so I expect you could succeed - just a matter of time and $$.

However, I think it is yet another thing for this to solve all environmental issues. Photosynthesis, for example depends on temperature. RUBISCO fixes as much oxygen as carbon circa 95F. This means that the tree will be operating at a metabolic defecit. So, extended periods of day-light hours with temperatures above 95F mean the tree could literally starve to death. This is pretty much universal for temperate (so called C3) trees, though the ability to shut down operations, so to speak, leads to some trees being more tolerant of high temperatures than others.

Looking forward to you screaming "ITS ALIVE!" (ala Young Frankenstein) in the not too distant future. :)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great question Ben! I think you should give it a try... maybe with cheap trees first but why not? We know that JWP can grow in warmer climates when it's on JBP roots. I'm sure the same could work for ponderosa. I have seen ponderosa that were grafted with JBP foliage years ago that are doing great, and the same is being done with JRP foliage.

Some experiments with different trees would be a lot of fun. Maybe limber or JBP roots? ;) lol

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This may even increase the vigor of a ponderosa... JWP increase in vigor on JBP roots too right?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
http://crataegus.com/2011/04/25/black-pine-grafted-ponderosa-styled/

Black pine grafted to a ponderosa trunk.

http://crataegus.com/2013/03/02/apprentice-jorge-trak-and-the-trident/

Root grafting

I have 2 ponderosa one is really nice and I wouldn't dare try this on it yet. The other is a burlap bonanza tree that won't be ready for such a task this year, and may not be ready next, but I may be tempted to try it next spring or the following one. :) In theory it should work.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should see that ponderosa/jbp now! It is very well ramified, and as healthy as any JBP I've seen.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Trade them for something that grows where you go, easier, cheaper, and you get some new materials to look at and play with.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's the plan for my nicer ponderosa and a scots pine.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
How do you actually threadgraft the roots? Take a seedling strip the leaves and just graft the whole thing?

Curious if approach grafting would work as well. Taking a sapling and fusing the cambium to an old tree should give it a boost with the new vigorous roots from the sapling.

Top Bottom