Red Japanese Maple

Lewiscarnes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree is about 5 inches tall, should I cut it down to the first branch. The trunk is 3 inches. Don't worry about the wire, its just temporary and doesn't look good. I cut it back a few months ago and I dug it up out of the ground over a year ago. When i dug the tree up I cut the roots back, i then let it grow for about a year in a pot before I chopped it down

DSCN0146.jpg DSCN0148.jpgDSCN0147.jpg DSCN0149.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0147.jpg
    DSCN0147.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 50
It depends on whether you are trying to make a short 'sumo' trunk or something taller.

If taller, I think you have a good start. You could whittle it down to just above the tallest branch. I would wait for a year, becuase there will be some die back and by this time next year it will be very clear where the sap flow goes - then you'll have to whittle it down to match. Even if you whittle now, you face this task come this time (or a bit later) next year.

On the other hand, if you want a squat sumo, you should whittle it down to one of the lower branches you have. Then, it is the same task next year to cut down just below the sap line so that the chop will eventually heal over (maybe).

It depends on whether you are trying to make a short 'sumo' trunk or something taller.

If taller, I think you have a good start. You could whittle it down to just above the tallest branch. I would wait for a year, becuase there will be some die back and by this time next year it will be very clear where the sap flow goes - then you'll have to whittle it down to match. Even if you whittle now, you face this task come this time (or a bit later) next year.

On the other hand, if you want a squat sumo, you should whittle it down to one of the lower branches you have. Then, it is the same task next year to cut down just below the sap line so that the chop will eventually heal over (maybe).
Thank you. I chopped it after the leaves fell, i am pretty sure that's the correct time but not positive. I here lots of different opinions

Thank you. I chopped it after the leaves fell, i am pretty sure that's the correct time but not positive. I here lots of different opinions
Lots of different opinions is right.

I personally like the height of the current chop because you already have some movement in the trunk.

Back
Top Bottom