Re: Dunking Dawn Redwoods

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know that some will dunk their redwoods and treat them similar to BCs. I don't personally do this (I do keep them well watered though), but the practice seems to make a lot of sense. Attached are some pics I found of redwood forests in China. The trees are growing directly in or right near a body of water (again, similar to BC).

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 92

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
cool pictures
Though they might be related, they are probably not the same species
Tolerances for things can vary from species to species in the same family so I wouldnt necessarily soak them

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The Chinese redwood in the pictures is Dawn Redwood, Metasequoia glyptostoboides. It is related to the American redwoods (Sequoiadendron and Sequoia).
Also very similar in growth and habitat the American bald cypresses (Taxodium) as can be seem from the photos. The only real visible difference is leaf arrangement - opposite in dawn redwood, alternate in BC.
Dawn redwood loves water as shown in the photos. I treat mine very similar to the bald cypress and give them a shallow tray of water through summer and have no problems. They definitely don't like getting dry.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This developing dawn redwood was kept in a tub of water throughout the season. It put on about 4’ of top growth. No problems.

1696785728102.jpeg
(Don't let the skimpy appearance fool you, that’s residual inner growth following a massive haircut).

The tree is planted in pumice with a bit of df bark in an Anderson flat. Water level submerged 1/4 to 3/4 the height of the flat most of the time.

1696785870742.jpeg

Root growth was very strong. Numerous tentacles extend through the water.

1696785931237.jpeg

The high water table appears to have prevented fine roots at the soil surface from drying out.

1696786277296.jpeg

In my case, the only notable downside to growing the tree this way appears to be the mosquito larvae that also grew in the tub.

Attachments

• 1696786461107.jpeg
    1696786461107.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
At least you don't have red squirrels eating the new buds... Tree looks great!

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know that some will dunk their redwoods and treat them similar to BCs. I don't personally do this (I do keep them well watered though), but the practice seems to make a lot of sense. Attached are some pics I found of redwood forests in China. The trees are growing directly in or right near a body of water (again, similar to BC).
Related: this season I mis-ID'd some Dawn Redwood cuttings that I struck last year as BC. I treated them as BC and watered them more aggressively (but not full soak). They seeemed happier and to put on more growth than my other DRs.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have two small versions of each and looking to see what can be done with them in the coming years... I just think they are both beautiful trees.
We have lots of full-size Dawn Redwoods here in SE Michigan and they look great in the fall!

Top Bottom