Puget Sound spring in January?

And now I'm seeing a forecast for lows of
Saturday 22°F,
Sunday 16°F
Monday 26 °F

So winter isn't done with us yet. My trees will go back down on the ground to help smooth out the rate of change. And keep them out of the wind.

That’s good practice. Last year’s data during the Christmas frost/snow showed trees on the bench shin temperatures below 23F vs 32F for those dug in and mulched with medium bark…. Additionally, watering before hard freezes helps too.

Cheers
DSD sends

Our trees are waking up 2-3 weeks ahead of normal. I usually don't repot this early, because we will surely get another cold snap in February. But I have no problems protecting my trees briefly. If I waited to repot in February and March like i normally would this year my pines would already be opening candles at the rate they are going.
In roughly 10 days we are going to get a cold snap with temperature down to 30 where I am in LA.

That’s good practice. Last year’s data during the Christmas frost/snow showed trees on the bench shin temperatures below 23F vs 32F for those dug in and mulched with medium bark…. Additionally, watering before hard freezes helps too.

Cheers
DSD sends
I heard this, sourced to Dave DeGroot getting the scientists at Weyhaeuser to study it while he was at the Pacific Bonsai museum.

Didn’t know that, I do my often work. I actually volunteer at the collection weekly since 2019… but I wouldn’t put it past Dave. He has a very scientific bent and we are better for it.
Cheers
DSD sends

My overnight low was 43 last night and I'm really tempted to pot my star magnolia. It's cold hardy for zones 4-9.

So hard to judge beating it's flower break and being to early.

In roughly 10 days we are going to get a cold snap with temperature down to 30 where I am in LA.
I'm in Ouachita parish. We got a little cool snap but down to 31° one night. Anything that had been repotted I stuck in the greenhouse for the night to keep frost off of them. Probably 9-10 trees I had to baby. All those trees are growing out fast now. Repotting success. How is it going in your neck of the Boot?

I'm in Ouachita parish. We got a little cool snap but down to 31° one night. Anything that had been repotted I stuck in the greenhouse for the night to keep frost off of them. Probably 9-10 trees I had to baby. All those trees are growing out fast now. Repotting success. How is it going in your neck of the Boot?
We are all good. This weekend the low is supposed to be 34 deg. I think we are out of winter for sure now. Next Monday I am moving all my trees outside. I need room in the garage for other work.

We are all good. This weekend the low is supposed to be 34 deg. I think we are out of winter for sure now. Next Monday I am moving all my trees outside. I need room in the garage for other work.
I have had all of my trees outside all winter. When we had that wild weather before Christmas I brought some inside and covered the rest too big to shuffle around, with pine straw. I don't protect any of my trees unless it gets in the 20s.

I have had all of my trees outside all winter. When we had that wild weather before Christmas I brought some inside and covered the rest too big to shuffle around, with pine straw. I don't protect any of my trees unless it gets in the 20s.
I have some tropical that will die when temperature gets below 35 deg F.

Some of the spruce and redwood could probably have stayed out but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom